HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:54 AM

New York Metropolitan Area: The Bronx

This is a highlight of my New York City photo tours, Naked New York: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202. This thread will cover the borough known as the Bronx.

End of the road @ City Island

Power line ornaments, Bronx Park South

Storefronts and fire escapes in the Motthaven section, South Bronx

Irish establishments on Katonah Avenue in the Woodlawn section

The Wave Hill gardens

The Kingsbridge Hustle

Peacocks roam free in the Bronx Zoo

Concrete Jungle, The Highbridge section

Loews Paradise in the Fordham section on the Grand Concourse

Got a nice backyard in Riverdale

The towers of Co Op city

Albanian Pride in the Pelham Parkway section

Gunhill under the 2 and 5

Smelling the flowers in the Botanical Gardens

The old Yankee stadium facade

The Manhattan skyline from Hunts Point

The bustle of "The Hub"

The Kingsbridge armory peeking out from under the EL

Around the Castle Hill houses

Relaxing on the sand @ Orchard Beach

The Riverdale section

The New York Botanical Gardens

Police towers watch the block in the Bronx River section

Apartment buildings adjacent to Bronx Park in the Bronxdale section

The Albanians of Lydig Avenue

A morning stroll along City Island Avenue in the historic district of City Island

Relaxing in Wave Hill over looking the Palisades

Mertz library in the Botanical Gardens

A common sight in the South Bronx

Yes ladies and gentlemen, SoBro

Welcome to the Bronx Zoo

Pelham Parkway concrete jungle

Tranquility on City Island

Castles in the sky

The shops of under the Co-Ops in Parkchester

Lilly pond @ Wave Hill

A memorial pays tribute to the recently deceased in the South Bronx

Upon entering the Botanical Gardens

Walk ups in Morrisania

The actual High Bridge

Concourse concrete jungle

Businesses on Arthur Avenue in Belmont, The Bronx's own Little Italy

The famous Punero mural in Longwood

Gorillas in the Bronx Zoo

Fix a flat, Fix a flat

Fordham University

The Fieldston good life

Under the EL in Highbridge

Spring has returned to the Botanical Gardens

The new Yankee Stadium under construction

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 5:48 AM

nice representation of the Bronx. Though there are many ghetto ass areas in BX, I find that its pretty underrated, after having chilled up there with friends and seeing how diverse the housing stock actually is.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 3:32 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Good lord, you be killin' them with the tours Amber Rose!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:11 PM
Old Fart Forumer

That was a treat and 1/2. Varied look with an intimate feel. Thanks for bringing back some memories of the Bronx Zoo & Botanical Gardens. My aunt use to take my brother and I there when we were kids visiting her in Queens back in the late 50s/ early 60s (loved to ride the front car of the subway on our journey to the Bronx).

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 5:17 PM

The Bronx intrigues me. Thx for these great pictures.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

these photo tours are a fantastic way to wile away the afternoon; but keep me from my job.

Wicked shots. Unexpected variety.

Any areas still like this:

southbx.com
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jan 23, 2011 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 9:31 PM

^
No areas like that anymore, but if you want to see those areas and how they've changed, visit Melrose, Morrisania and Longwood.

Those neighborhoods have all had tons of recent apartment construction, and the pics of rubble are for the history books.

Melrose has probably had the most radical change, and is now Manhattan-dense, with streets lined with 12-15 floor apartment buildings and a new university.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
^
No areas like that anymore, but if you want to see those areas and how they've changed, visit Melrose, Morrisania and Longwood.

Those neighborhoods have all had tons of recent apartment construction, and the pics of rubble are for the history books.

Melrose has probably had the most radical change, and is now Manhattan-dense, with streets lined with 12-15 floor apartment buildings and a new university.

Yep, Crawford is right. You can see all of those areas in great detail in some of my other threads. Longwood and Morrisania combined have been unofficially given the acronym S.o.B.r.o by the community group that coined the term. It is very slowly taking on ex-Manhattanites, artists, musicians and a cornucopia of shakers and "doers" for the better part of the last decade who are attracted to the old industrial lofts and new buildings that are going up now. You can consider Melrose and Huntspoint in that first round up of hoods as up and coming as well. There is still a butt-load of crime and poverty does still exist and is very prevalent but it is an entirely new South Bronx.
One area in particular that I don't even think I posted in this tour is the area just south of Cratona Park where the burnt buildings were torn down and single family homes typically seen in areas like Long Island and it's exurbs out in Suffolk County have been erected. It was an odd site to see for me because it does not fit the Bronx at all.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 12:02 AM

Definitely a thorough and diverse representation.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 12:57 AM

Again great photos, I remember as far back as the late 80's seeing new cheap looking single family homes being built in the south Bronx during my first visit to NYC. It did look out of place and through more for a loop, not what I had expected.

Also I think it was Riverdale? This was one of the first areas in The Bronx I visited, completely by random as I drove a rental car around the area. I was caught me off guard, because it was clean and I recall joggers, and people walking their dogs. It look to be middle or upper middle class, not what most outsiders would have expect to see after hearing all of your life about the negative images about this borough.

Although that didn't last long before I found the more gritty areas too to far away. Maybe you know but I have a cousin from the Bay area who's in his 2nd year of college up in The Bronx. I actually forget he was in NY when I visit back in October, and feel bad I didn't contact him during our stay.

Anyway it's some type of arts college, would anyone happened to know the name of it??? I know for sure it's not Fordham University.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 1:31 AM

Nygirl oustanding pictures. I am visiting the city for the second time in eight weeks and wanna tour the bronx too. How safe is it and what areas shouldn't i visit?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 1:51 AM

Great Photos! Wave Hill is one of my favorite destinations on a quiet summer weekend. Metro North has a ticket package from GCT.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickser View Post
Nygirl oustanding pictures. I am visiting the city for the second time in eight weeks and wanna tour the bronx too. How safe is it and what areas shouldn't i visit?
kickser, I've walked all over the Bronx for the past decade and never had a problem. The golden rule in all five boroughs is simply not to venture into a large housing project after sunset, but even then you are not likely to find trouble unless you are looking for it.

One evening when I first moved to NYC in '99 I was exploring the South Bronx and walked into a situation which frightened me (I'm a very nordic looking white guy). I ventured off Tiebout Ave. down steep stairs into a ravine which happened to be a notorious project. Half way down the stairs I noticed a group of teens and twenty somethings gathered smoking, behind me another group was descending. So I continued descending hoping for the best. Long story short, they were all nice kids. I told them I was a bit lost and a couple of them led me out to where I was headed (Belmont). They even shared a joint with me.

Since that moment I have never been frightened in the Bronx, or NYC in general. I lived in Manhattan at the time and now I've lived in Brooklyn for seven years (and not in wealthy, white areas). I had my apartment robbed once and was mugged another time, both happened on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

So really it's about common sense and respecting the people in the neighborhoods. 99% of NY'ers are pleasant and helpful, it's the 1% you have to look out for and they can be anywhere from Bernie Madoff to a corrupt cop. That's another story entirely.

Enjoy the Bronx!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Again great photos, I remember as far back as the late 80's seeing new cheap looking single family homes being built in the south Bronx during my first visit to NYC. It did look out of place and through more for a loop, not what I had expected.
Unfortunately, during the first attempts at Bronx revitalization (1980's) the city built suburban-style homes, primarily in one area near Crotona Park (Charlotte Street area).

The city eventually figured out it should rebuild at much higher densities, so you have this weird juxtaposition with little suburban 80's homes next to 12-floor buildings from the 00's.

If you visit Charlotte Street today, you'll see the little 80's boxes, now fast being encircled by 12-floor buildings. Really strange. I hope the little boxes are one day redeveloped.
Quote:
Also I think it was Riverdale? This was one of the first areas in The Bronx I visited, completely by random as I drove a rental car around the area. I was caught me off guard, because it was clean and I recall joggers, and people walking their dogs. It look to be middle or upper middle class, not what most outsiders would have expect to see after hearing all of your life about the negative images about this borough.
It sounds like Riverdale, but there are plenty of other non-gritty, non-tough looking neighborhoods. Could have been Kingsbridge, Pelham Parkway, Norwood, Woodlawn, or really anything in the East Bronx (the entire eastern third of the Bronx is pretty middle class).

Stereotypical "tough" looking Bronx is basically the West Bronx, especially south of Fordham Road. Doesn't mean every area is tough, but this area has the sterotypical look of endless tenement-like apartment buildings, gritty look, etc. This is the "South Bronx" of fame/infamy, though it's really more West Bronx than South Bronx (since, again, the eastern third of the borough has a different look, feel and demographic).

Though, again, there are many exceptions. Riverdale is in the West Bronx, and it's very nice and non-tough looking.
Quote:
Anyway it's some type of arts college, would anyone happened to know the name of it??? I know for sure it's not Fordham University.
I'm guessing he's at Manhattan College, which is a nice-looking liberal arts school in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 5:06 PM

This is the area Crawford and I are talking about:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=976754

some shots:

and within eye sight and walking distance

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2554/...954d8fa7_b.jpg

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 6:26 PM
Beer Stampede

Nice representation of a district I'm not too familiar with. My parents lived in the central part of the Bronx in the early 60s. Much different place back then.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 10:46 PM

nygirl1

Yep, that could very well be the neighborhood I drove through back in the mid 80's. I do recall lots of taller older apartment buildings just a block or so away. I have to admit, the homes look like they are in better shape the I would have expect.

Crawford: That is probably it Manhattan College unless there are other liberal arts schools in The Bronx this must be it, he also stays in a dorm at the school from what his grandmother told me.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 1:30 AM
St. Louis. Bitch.

NYgirl-- I've told you this before, but I will say it again. Your threads take me to places I never want to leave. I love your threads. I LOVE YOUR THREADS.

Now I'm emotional.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 1:48 AM
tilted & shifted

Excellent shots. I love how so many streets in the Bronx are lined with 6-story apartment blocks. It makes for incredible density.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 4:41 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JivecitySTL View Post
NYgirl-- I've told you this before, but I will say it again. Your threads take me to places I never want to leave. I love your threads. I LOVE YOUR THREADS.

Now I'm emotional.

I LOVE YOUR THREADS!!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos