HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 2:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Into the night...

rickj

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 7:15 AM
New Yorker for life

They played with a small spire in earlier versions of the tower...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 6:02 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

I think I prefer it without that spire from early renditions. The way it ends at the top of the diamond is a suitable climax for this tower.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 6:08 PM

i actually really like towers with slanted angle roofs.... they don't need spires and are much more interesting than flat roofs. All is pretty sweet after about a thousand feet, though

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 6:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I think I prefer it without that spire from early renditions. The way it ends at the top of the diamond is a suitable climax for this tower.
I think they all pretty much came to that conclusion.

http://lowermanhattan.info/news/rene...wtc_28050.aspx

Quote:
Silverstein, meanwhile, is now focused on erecting its three new skyscrapers on the east side of the WTC site.

Janno Lieber, Silverstein’s president of WTC development, said that Tower 4 is on track for a late 2013 opening. He then explained that
at 2 and 3 WTC, excavation for tower footings -- which form the very deepest structural anchors of the skyscrapers -- is nearly
complete and the buildings’ cores will start to rise over the coming weeks.

He said his firm intends to build each of the towers to their full heights, an effort to be aided by visible construction progress
that will encourage potential tenants to sign leases.

“Tower 2 is meant to be at grade in the beginning of 2012,” said Lieber. “Tower 3 we’re fully expecting to complete that as a tower,
and that will be end of 2014 or right at the beginning 2015, [but the goal is for] continuous construction.”

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 12:59 PM

^^^ great news indeed!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 7:42 PM

will T2 and T3 have perimiter colums reaching up from bedrock or will it be the same type of construction as T4 ?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 10:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Probably.

nabeeloo

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 12:26 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Here's wishing Silverstein good health and a long long life that will allow him to see the New WTC rebuilt entirely!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 1:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Here's wishing Silverstein good health and a long long life that will allow him to see the New WTC rebuilt entirely!
I think he deserves one of those plazas around the towers named in his honor when these towers are finished. No one has worked harder to get them built, and Silverstein has faced down many obstacles, including the Port Authority itself. Now the battle is with the economy.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 1:40 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

So this tower is not actually under construction... especially because we're looking at the latter half of this decade at the earliest.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 1:58 AM
New Yorker for life

^ The tower's foundation is under construction, and the developer intends to keep building to its full height. If he doesn't get the financing, then yes it will stop at grade. But as of now its as much under construction as any other tower with beginning foundation work. We've seen how that worked with the unfortunate Chicago Spire, and we see another developer trying construction without yet getting a construction loan (Extell's Cargegie 57). It remains to be seen how this will turn out, but for now, yes work is underway.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think he deserves one of those plazas around the towers named in his honor when these towers are finished. No one has worked harder to get them built, and Silverstein has faced down many obstacles, including the Port Authority itself. Now the battle is with the economy.
Larry

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 12:54 AM
DENNAB

Wonder if towers 2 and 3 will have a slight redesign (guess it would have to be pretty slight) before finally being built

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 2:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Wonder if towers 2 and 3 will have a slight redesign (guess it would have to be pretty slight) before finally being built
They have insisted they're not going to start from scratch. That being said, it's not for certain we've actually seen the most revised design, however slight. Most of the renderings we have we've seen for a while now.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:07 AM
Meh

I'm glad it doesn't have a spire. It's perfect as is. This is by far my favorite of the 4 towers. I really think this will end up being one of most attractive 1,000 footers in the US. I would put it right up there with the ESB and the Chrysler. My favorite part of it is the facade color. It's going to be a beautiful building.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 4:33 AM

I wonder how many floors per month will go up?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 6:53 AM

Does anyone know if they are going to cover the old basin walls that surround the WTC complex. Aren't they suppose to refurbish the slurry walls? I still see remnants of the Old WTC Complex.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001 View Post
Does anyone know if they are going to cover the old basin walls that surround the WTC complex. Aren't they suppose to refurbish the slurry walls? I still see remnants of the Old WTC Complex.
The slurry walls that are visible are brand new, part of the construction of a new bathtub that was a major contributor to the towers' delay. For what it will look like once the towers begin to rise, see the construction of Tower 4.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001 View Post
What do you see that are remnants? The only remnant that the public can see that will be around when everything is finished is one of the subway entrances that was re-opened a few years back but then closed again. Hopefully the south pedestrian bridge stays as well, but with Brookfield wanting to destroy the Winter Garden's stairs, who knows about that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction