HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:29 PM

Since the U of O is saying it is not involved, my best guess would be that it will become a private student rez, similar to the one at Laurier and Friel in the former retirement home.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I work in a downtown hotel and I definitely see the impact of all these other hotels closing. Our hotel used to run around 70-80% occupancy most of the time with the odd sold-out night maybe every 2 weeks. Now, we are usually sold-out at least 3 to 4 nights per week! We constantly get people calling and walking in and trying to get reservations but we have to turn them down saying we are sold-out and this is happening city wide... People always ask; "Oh, is there some sort of special event or convention going on? Which we reply.. no... it's just always busy like this now".

I've seen a couple of nights where the entire city was sold out and the only thing available was the Comfort Inn in Arnprior for $300/night. (Literally everything in Ottawa and Gatineau (including the motels and inns in Vanier) were completely sold out...
Maybe conditions are right for a second Rideau Centre hotel? They would have to start soon if they want to be open for 2017.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Maybe conditions are right for a second Rideau Centre hotel? They would have to start soon if they want to be open for 2017.
Is there already an approved location for this?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:20 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
I work in a downtown hotel and I definitely see the impact of all these other hotels closing. Our hotel used to run around 70-80% occupancy most of the time with the odd sold-out night maybe every 2 weeks. Now, we are usually sold-out at least 3 to 4 nights per week! We constantly get people calling and walking in and trying to get reservations but we have to turn them down saying we are sold-out and this is happening city wide... People always ask; "Oh, is there some sort of special event or convention going on? Which we reply.. no... it's just always busy like this now".

I've seen a couple of nights where the entire city was sold out and the only thing available was the Comfort Inn in Arnprior for $300/night. (Literally everything in Ottawa and Gatineau (including the motels and inns in Vanier) were completely sold out...
That is absolutely nuts. Thanks for the neat information.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Since the U of O is saying it is not involved, my best guess would be that it will become a private student rez, similar to the one at Laurier and Friel in the former retirement home.
The Friel Residence is privately owned , but the university has a long term lease, and manages the student residence. So the university is involved with this one.

Campus Suites Inc bought the Holiday Inn on Cooper St. It will turn it into a student residence that Campus Suite manages. Not managed by the university, and no involvement by the university.

I would not be surprised if Campus Suites or a competitor is a buyer of the Quality Inn.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Is there already an approved location for this?
It's been in various plans over the years, but I don't think there is any specific site that has been designated.

There were musings that it would be incorporated into the current expansion, but that didn't happen. I guess the possiblity of building on top remains, but the most likely spot would seem to be that small lot that remains to the east of Nordstrom.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:32 PM

If hotels are that overcapacity, shouldn't there be quite a market demand for them? What's going on here? At this rate the city is going to have to step in soon.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
If hotels are that overcapacity, shouldn't there be quite a market demand for them? What's going on here? At this rate the city is going to have to step in soon.
Plenty of room between Nordstrom and Nicholas. The only question is, what will happen to the Registrar's Office?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
The Friel Residence is privately owned , but the university has a long term lease, and manages the student residence. So the university is involved with this one.

Campus Suites Inc bought the Holiday Inn on Cooper St. It will turn it into a student residence that Campus Suite manages. Not managed by the university, and no involvement by the university.

I would not be surprised if Campus Suites or a competitor is a buyer of the Quality Inn.

Not Rideau and Friel (that one is univ leased). LAURIER and Friel is another one that is entirely private with no association to university expect proximity and marketing to students.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
It's been in various plans over the years, but I don't think there is any specific site that has been designated.

There were musings that it would be incorporated into the current expansion, but that didn't happen. I guess the possibility of building on top remains, but the most likely spot would seem to be that small lot that remains to the east of Nordstrom.
I too was under the impression a hotel may go on Nicholas somewhere. From the NCC Approval document(PDF):

Quote:
Potential future phases may include hotel/conference facility along Nicholas St
(from section 5.2 Impacts)

As others have pointed out, assuming if one gets built, it will likely be located in the "future development site" shown in the following graphic from the CTV News website:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Plenty of room between Nordstrom and Nicholas. The only question is, what will happen to the Registrar's Office?
Good question! It's a heritage building, no? They'll probably engulf all or part of the building like they did with the Grant House at Performance Court...I don't think they can tear it down.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Good question! It's a heritage building, no? They'll probably engulf all or part of the building like they did with the Grant House at Performance Court...I don't think they can tear it down.
You're right, it can't be torn down... but it can be moved, à la Horticulture Building.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:08 PM

I have long imagined it being integrated into the podium of a new hotel, but I think you're probably right: It will be moved.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I've always wanted to see it become a cool bar

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:08 PM

I think the best sites for a future hotel tower would be;

1) Across the street from the Quality Inn around the Rideau/King Edward intersection.

2) Rideau Centre Expansion. Timeline is questionable, also, is there any way that Westin might have an agreement with the mall company to prevent them from opening a competing hotel at Rideau?

3) Somewhere in centretown/downtown.. Either northeast close to existing downtown (between Elgin, Somerset, Bank, Lisgar) OR closer to museum of nature and the Queensway .. in so-called SoBa. This area is becoming nice with condos, restaurants, the museum etc... could be a nice addition. Not DIRECTLY dowtown but still pretty close to parliament, canal and rideau centre/market. (between Elgin, Queensway, Bank and Gladstone).

Even more fun, let's find some cool hotel designs we'd like to see in Ottawa...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:28 PM

Here are some design ideas I'd like to see:

Curved glass building (like the Vdara Hotel in Las Vegas)

I like the top design of Trump Toronto. Imagine having this in Centretown close to Museum of nature and SoBa and Queensway and a top-floor bar/lounge overlooking North towards downtown, parliament and the Gatineau Hills

Maybe a circular midrise/tower seeing as most of our downtown buildings are all square?

I also like Trump Vancouver which is going up right now. Love the twisting-tower effect..

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
2) Rideau Centre Expansion. Timeline is questionable, also, is there any way that Westin might have an agreement with the mall company to prevent them from opening a competing hotel at Rideau?
Don't think so, as a second hotel has long been in the conceptual plans for the Rideau Centre.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
I think the best sites for a future hotel tower would be;

1) Across the street from the Quality Inn around the Rideau/King Edward intersection.

3) Somewhere in centretown/downtown.. Either northeast close to existing downtown (between Elgin, Somerset, Bank, Lisgar) OR closer to museum of nature and the Queensway .. in so-called SoBa. This area is becoming nice with condos, restaurants, the museum etc... could be a nice addition. Not DIRECTLY dowtown but still pretty close to parliament, canal and rideau centre/market. (between Elgin, Queensway, Bank and Gladstone).

Even more fun, let's find some cool hotel designs we'd like to see in Ottawa...
At one time, a hotel was proposed where Rideau LCBO is located:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=1464,120517

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:35 AM
Busy Beaver

Although it is new-ish, they could always tear down the Red Garage and build on top of it. It's actually great spot for a tower.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Although it is new-ish, they could always tear down the Red Garage and build on top of it. It's actually great spot for a tower.
Do you mean the Rideau Centre garage? That's true, it's a good spot for a tower to go up, which would definitely help enliven that section of Nicholas. As well, as the plans for this section of Rideau call for Nicholas to be pedestrianized from Rideau to Besserer, it might be even nicer for additional hotels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa