HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 10:28 PM

CFL 2024 season

3downnation reporting New England Patriots have claimed Nathan Rourke off waivers from Jacksonville hopefully he has a better chance in New England next year otherwise I would think he comes back to CFL.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 10:40 PM

Wow, big news!

I wonder if they’ll trade him back to Jacksonville for a mid round draft pick if Lawrence is out next weekend with the concussion. Bad timing for the Jaguars to waive Rourke 24 hours before Lawrence being hurt. Thinking New England is being opportunistic because otherwise why didn’t they claim Rourke the other two waives. Rourke is better than the bottom 1/3 of NFL quarterbacks with potential to climb higher. He has much better football sense than a lot of them which are just bumbling around right now.

Edit: Ah, I see New England had a couple practice roster QBs sign elsewhere, so perhaps they do intend to keep him.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 10:48 PM

I think Rourke stays in New England for a bit as Mac Jones will be out this off season and Zappe is trash. With Bellichick likely being let go and the need to draft a franchise QB Rourke might be on the move again next year but that's the gamble you make trying to crack the NFL. I do agree Rourke is better than many NFL starters and likely could have had similar success to Joe Flacco in Cleveland if say a team like Pittsburgh had tried trading for him earlier this year.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Wow, big news!

I wonder if they’ll trade him back to Jacksonville for a mid round draft pick if Lawrence is out next weekend with the concussion. Bad timing for the Jaguars to waive Rourke 24 hours before Lawrence being hurt. Thinking New England is being opportunistic because otherwise why didn’t they claim Rourke the other two waives. Rourke is better than the bottom 1/3 of NFL quarterbacks with potential to climb higher. He has much better football sense than a lot of them which are just bumbling around right now.

Edit: Ah, I see New England had a couple practice roster QBs sign elsewhere, so perhaps they do intend to keep him.
Trade deadline is also over in the NFL so he's with them for the rest of the season and HAS to stay on the main roster. So he'll make a good chunk of change too!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 2:09 PM

FWIW, I sent out some emails to reporters to see why there has been no news or coverage regarding if Rob Steele (or Stingray) is or isn't potentially the new owner of the Atlantic Canada franchise.

Of course I don't expect anything to come of it but one would hope there would at least be some coverage of the CFL Board of Governor's meeting of which I reminded them.

Really don't understand why there has been no coverage, it's a great story, unless there is no story, which is still a story

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 5:12 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I sure hope Rourke gets a legit shot in the NFL - with all the injuries to QBs it feels like he should.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 1:11 AM

Revisit to a Blast From the Past with new found (old) information.

Can-Am Bowl I, 1/8/78
Travis Puterbaugh Tampa Sports History January 14, 2008

Blast from the past: The CAN/AM Bowl

From time to time I like to go down memory lane on here. Today, after seeing an Edmonton Journal post on the 1978 CAN/AM Bowl in Tampa, I'd like to share a selection from Jeff Morcom's Unofficial CIS Almanac on the two college all-star games played under Canadian rules in Florida between the CIAU and NCAA.

Jamie Bone stands his ground in the second CAN/AM Bowl at Tampa Stadium in 1979

January 5, 1978

TAMPA, FLA (CP) – All the concern being voiced about Canada’s chances against Division I United States college stars in Sunday’s inaugural Can-Am Bowl football game at Tampa Stadium is of little interest to the Canadians.

“The only difference between Division I and Division II players is the amount of money the school can throw into the athletic program – certainly not the talent” says John Priestner. The 19-year-old linebacker with the University of Western Ontario Mustangs was reacting to reports of the game organizers hoodwinking Canadian officials by supplementing their lineup with personnel from Division I schools.

Initial plans for the international match, expected to become an annual game, called for the Canadian Intercollegiate Athletic Union to face a lineup of Division II and III players. The game will be carried nationally on CBC television starting at 12 p.m. CDT. “The players that would be coming from Division II will be drafted just as high as the Division I players here” Priestner said, “So I don’t think it’s going to make any difference whatsoever.”

Glen Wallace, a 28-year-old running back with British Columbia Thunderbirds and the greybeard of the game, is also one of the shortest. At 5’8” and 185 pounds, he’s more concerned about getting his timing down at three backfield positions – slotback, halfback, and fullback – than he is about the size of his opponents or their scholastic status. “It’s tough enough worrying about three positions without concerning myself with the opposition” said Wallace “But just for the record, I don’t think it really makes all that much difference. I feel the guys they’d have sent here from Division II schools have the same kind of talent as the guys they have here – no better, no worse.”

Bob Cameron of Acadia Axemen, who will direct the Canadian collegiate fortunes in the game along with Jamie Bone of Western Mustangs, admits he’s not overly awed by the big, mobile defensive front four he’ll be facing, nor the linebacking brigade that averages 6’3” and 245 pounds apiece. The fact all three starting linebackers played the line through their college careers doesn’t lessen their potential in Cameron’s eyes.

Cameron, the CIAU’s top player in 1977, has aspirations of making it in the pro leagues, either in the CFL or as a punter in the National Football League. He’s had the pro scouts timing his punts here this week. “I’ve had tryouts at pro camps, and run into a lot of big and tough American linemen,” says the Dundas, Ont. native. “But they can be beat. What we do have in our favour is the extra days of practice. We’ve had 10 workouts while they’ve had five. And they’ve got to adjust to Canadian rules. I think we’ll do a job on them.”

The only injuries of concern in the Canadian camp are hamstring pulls suffered by both Priestner and wide receiver Bob Stracina, the Hec Crighton winner in 1976. Stracina hobbled through Thursday’s workouts, but Priestner continued to limp along the sidelines as he has done since suffering the injury the first day of training. Both are expected to dress for Sunday’s game.

Priestner, especially, wants to play because he envisages a career in the NFL, although he’s only in his second year at Western. Most of the scouts here for both NFL and CFL teams are more interested in the seniors, but John says he hopes his play Sunday will rate some attention. “I want to play in the NFL, preferably as a linebacker.” The rangy 227-pounder is rated among the top two or three defensive players in the CIAU ranks. John fashions his play along the lines of NFL linebacker Jack Lambert of Pittsburgh Steelers, and admits that while Lambert may be a little taller, “I’m probably still growing.”

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 1:27 AM

Can/Am Bowl January 6, 1979
Tampa Stadium, Tampa, Fla, USA
Attendance: 11 033
United States 34, Canada 14

Scoring Summary

1st Quarter
USA- TD T Stephens 7 pass from Marler (Yepremian kick)
CAN- TD Reid 14 pass from Bone (Gulyes kick)

2nd Quarter
CAN- ROUGE Cameron
USA- TD Cox 34 pass from Marler (Yepremian kick)

3rd Quarter
USA- TD Cox 36 pass from Marler (Yepremian kick)

4th Quarter
USA- TD Laetsch 9 pass from Rader (Yepremian kick)
USA- TD Matthews 58 PR
CAN- TD Bone 1 run

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 1:19 AM

Elks just signed Macleod Bethel Thompson to 1 year deal and will release Cornelius before his $100,000 roster bonus is due as per reports from 3downnation and tsn.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 2:15 AM
Community Guy

^I am ok with that.
---
https://www.goelks.com/schedule

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Last edited by Coldrsx; Jan 7, 2024 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 5:12 AM
Ham-burgher

I hope Jones still gives Ford a good amount of playing time behind MBT. He's got real talent, and his playing style is a nice complementary change-up to Bethel-Thompson's.

The Ticats will have Mitchell back on a restructured and much cheaper deal.
https://3downnation.com/2024/01/04/b...n-with-ticats/

I think we will being saying bye-bye to Matt Shiltz. He's been a good backup, but that is all. Powell has a much bigger upside, and I'd aim to keep Locksley around just for his versatility though I don't think he'll ever be a full-time starter in the league. Letting Shiltz walk will also be a vote of confidence in BLM, who must really be onto his last chance now.

This will all free up money to make improvements across the rest of the roster.

And rest in peace former Hamilton rusher Willie Bethea.
https://3downnation.com/2024/01/05/t...ea-dead-at-85/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 5:29 PM

Bombers just traded Dru Brown to Ottawa for a 5th round pick hopefully he gets to start there. Bombers also announced IG field will get new turf this season.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Bombers just traded Dru Brown to Ottawa for a 5th round pick hopefully he gets to start there. Bombers also announced IG field will get new turf this season.
He'll push Crum and Masoli. Love to see it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Bombers also announced IG field will get new turf this season.
FieldTurf Vertex Core 1, wlth CoolPlay TPE infill, FIFA Quality Pro certified in May 2024.

That is long past due, they got 12 years out of the first one.

October 2012 Winnipeg - FieldTurf Revolution 1US (installed previous to opening in 2013) (FIFA Approved)

Last edited by elly63; Jan 18, 2024 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 8:55 PM

Looks like CFL expansion to Atlantic Canada a no go for the next while I guess with no real progress made it seems based on this 3downation report? It seems just too hard to get a stadium built there or anywhere in Canada really unless it is tied into hosting either an Olympics, Pan Am Games or Commonwealth Games and I do not foresee Halifax bidding on one soon. Best to strengthen the existing 9 CFL teams I guess.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/25/a...m-encouraging/

Randy Ambrosie’s CFL expansion update far from encouraging

The CFL doesn’t appear to have made any inroads regarding expansion since the league’s Touchdown Atlantic game in Halifax this past summer.

“We’re certainly not giving up on Atlantic Canada, not by any stretch, but at some point you have to say, ‘OK, we’ve kind of done all that we can do,'” league commissioner Randy Ambrosie told The Waggle.

“I hope that Atlantic Canadians and certainly Atlantic Canadian sports fans would say that we’ve shown a lot of love to that region. I’ve made it clear that we would like to be there. I think that the region now has to find a way to pull us in if in fact that’s part of our destiny.”

Ambrosie touted the presence of multiple interested ownership groups ahead of Touchdown Atlantic this past season, a neutral-site game in July that drew a sold-out crowd of 11,555 to Huskies Stadium in Halifax. At the time, he claimed “there’s probably never been a better chance” for the league to expand to the Maritimes.

Ahead of the Grey Cup in Hamilton, Ambrosie indicated that a “highly engaged, very qualified” potential owner had emerged as a leading contender in Halifax, though he didn’t identify the individual(s) involved. He made no mention of the mystery suitor in his recent interview with the league’s official podcast.

The CFL hosted Touchdown Atlantic games in Nova Scotia in 2022 and 2023, continuing a seven-game series that started in 2005. The contests took place at Huskies Stadium at Saint Mary’s University, Croix-Bleue Medavie Stadium at the University of Moncton, and Raymond Field at Acadia University.

The league’s desire to expand out east long predates the neutral-site series, dating back over four decades. Ambrosie made it clear that expansion remains one of the league’s top goals, though it doesn’t appear close to happening anytime soon. Quebec City is often cited as another potential expansion site, though Ambrosie said the league has had no formal discussions with the Quebec capital.

“It’s a priority that’s not of my own making, this is a priority that our governors have asked me to embrace and I certainly have. I really believe there’s an opportunity for expansion,” said Ambrosie. “If it’s not [in Atlantic Canada], we are talking about building a plan to have a conversation in other markets. Certainly, one market that everyone thinks about is Quebec City with all of the success they’ve had in sports in general, the success they’ve had with the (Laval) Rouge et Or.”

“There’s a great football culture in Quebec City, one of the strongest amateur football communities in all of Canada is in Quebec City. There are lots of reasons to like it as a market but we’re going to take a carpenter’s expression: ‘Measure twice and cut once.’ So, we’re gonna take a measure twice and cut once approach and then, at the appropriate time, have conversations there.”

The league is hosting its first-ever Touchdown Pacific game this summer as the B.C. Lions will host the Ottawa Redblacks at Royal Athletic Park in Victoria, B.C. on Aug. 31. Capacity for the event is expected to be between 10,000 and 14,000, including standing room.

Though the league clearly won’t be expanding anytime soon, it appears its Touchdown series could be heading to new sites in the near future. A city councilor from Windsor-Essex has been open about courting the league for a one-off game with Ambrosie indicating that at least one other city has expressed serious interest as well.

“We’re also having conversations with other markets who have put up their hand and asked us about the possibility of bringing our Touchdown game to other markets. I’ve had two unsolicited conversations from Canadian cities that have said, ‘Hey, how about us for Touchdown games?’ That’s exciting as well and something that I’m looking forward to pursuing,” said Ambrosie.

“Going to Victoria is going to be I think an exciting thing to be part of. Shout-out to (Lions’ owner) Amar Doman and (Lions’ president and chief operating officer) Duane Vienneau for putting up their hand and wanting to do that, I was there in December for the announcement. There’s incredible enthusiasm in that market to see a CFL game in Victoria, so that’s an event I’m looking forward to.”

Expansion would help solve the CFL’s problems with awkward scheduling and uneven divisions while also providing additional opportunities to increase television and betting revenue. Despite the league’s efforts out east, it doesn’t appear a tenth team is on the horizon anytime soon.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 10:10 PM

No surprise. It's been clear for some time that Halifax would not be viable for a CFL expansion team. Even if the $60 million of funding that was being bandied about a few years ago was still on the table, it wouldn't even be enough to build a 10,000 seat grandstand similar to the one in Hamilton. That doesn't even factor in the millions of dollars in costs for the field and infrastructure at field level nor the temp stands that would have to be constructed on the opposite side.

Of more immediate concern are the dilapidated stadium in Calgary which other than the dressing room, has seen no substantial infrastructure improvements in nearly 40 years and Montreal's cramped Percival Molson stadium. The owner there has expressed interest in making improvements, but talk is cheap. We will see if he actually follows through with any of his own money.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The owner there has expressed interest in making improvements, but talk is cheap. We will see if he actually follows through with any of his own money.
He bought a new scoreboard (that was delayed in shipping) they don't give those away. I'm not worried about Montreal but I also wouldn't be excited about putting money into a building I don't own or control.

But that 3DN story told us nothing, it was a rehash of the nothing stories from before. Did the prospective owner walk away, dd the league, the city? Garbage. They could have asked the question and written Ambrosie refused to answer and there wasn't even that, just a bunch of nothingness that even AI could have thrown together.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 12:03 AM

Halifax being a viable market isn't the problem. The problem is getting a stadium in place for a team. THAT is the issue at play. Solve that problem and a franchise will follow suit shortly after. I'm confident of that.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Halifax being a viable market isn't the problem. The problem is getting a stadium in place for a team. THAT is the issue at play. Solve that problem and a franchise will follow suit shortly after. I'm confident of that.
For most businesses, "viable" would include being able to make a return after paying to build the infrastructure the business requires.

Most businesses are "viable" if someone hands you a facility.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 4:03 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
For most businesses, "viable" would include being able to make a return after paying to build the infrastructure the business requires.

Most businesses are "viable" if someone hands you a facility.
Yep. New stadium paid for by government and suddenly the Ticats seem to be making money, or are at least out of financial danger (we will never know given private ownership, but it looks like they're at the point of making "tweaks" to add a few bucks to gameday revenue).

We treat sports franchises differently than other businesses. The U.S. is especially extreme in this. I wonder... how is it typically handled elsewhere in the world?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada