HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 9:21 PM
gettin' rich!

The Yonge-Eglinton towers almost look like part of the downtown core.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 9:48 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The Yonge-Eglinton towers almost look like part of the downtown core.
That's because I chose that specific angle, so Y & E and also Yonge / St. Clair would appear directly behind Yorkville. Once I get those towers looking like real buildings, it should look much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
My guess is administrators have access to the embedded maps to add buildings. There are many new proposals that aren't mapped. I would if I could.

I did two full sweeps of the city in birds eye view (Bing) about ten years ago and found the last two missing towers to be added . At least four people covered the urban nodes up to that time. Haven't done anything like that since. (Bing hasn't been updated either) There's a chance something has gone up since without any coverage.
After looking at every highrise I could find on the SSP database and comparing those to Google Earth 2015 images, I couldn't find many that didn't appear on either the Map or the Diagram section. The list seemed to be very comprehensive.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 10:48 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I added the Islands and airport for a bit of extra realism... and I finally got around to adding textures to The Well.

Looking at the latest incarnation of 23 Spadina.
[IMG][/IMG]

Looking Southwest over downtown.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 10:58 PM
gettin' rich!

Toronto has a mini-New York vibe going on there in that render.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 11:09 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Toronto needs the building-boom to keep going for another 5 or 10 years to start looking like that... or this:

Looking straight down Yonge St.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by koops65; Jun 14, 2016 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:17 PM
gettin' rich!

Cityzen-Fernbrook (Developers) did a future render of Yorkville for us

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 7:23 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

That's pretty old, 37 Yorkville has been cancelled, and that's the earliest incarnation of The One...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:18 PM
gettin' rich!

37 Yorkville has been cancelled with nothing to replace it?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:56 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Sorry I was mistaken... the status of 37 Yorkville is actually Stale Proposal: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=7006

Also, I read recently, I can't remember which thread on UT, that said 37 Yorkville, Cumberland Terrace, and Holt Renfrew tower are now all owned by the same firm. Speculation of course, is for a single mega-tower to replace all 3...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 11:01 PM
I am the law!

I think we can safely say one very tall tower isn't going to replace all 3 blocks that span across Cumberland. I don't believe the ownership is all the same. That doesn't dismiss that there may be a certain private equity investor with a piece of each property.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 11:18 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Yeah the likelihood of that happening is pretty much zero. But it is fun to speculate...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 1:14 AM

I believe Cumberland terrace and the 50 Bloor west lands are under the same ownership. I believe someone has assembled that entire block. My understanding is that something is going on with 37 yorkville too, but I'm not so sure about what.

And yes, the block is too large for a single tower. I still expect to see a massive proposal there soon though.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 4:11 AM
gettin' rich!

That's excellent news.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 5:57 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

For sure... I'm hoping to hear more about this soon.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 6:42 AM
See ya down under, mates

edit: nm

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 10:36 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

1 Scollard added to the future Yorkville Skyline:

Looking Southwest
[IMG][/IMG]

Looking Northwest
[IMG][/IMG]

Looking Southeast
[IMG][/IMG]

Looking Northeast
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 5:33 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I believe Cumberland terrace and the 50 Bloor west lands are under the same ownership. I believe someone has assembled that entire block. My understanding is that something is going on with 37 yorkville too, but I'm not so sure about what.

And yes, the block is too large for a single tower. I still expect to see a massive proposal there soon though.
Kingsett Capital through its multiple growth and income subsidiaries (LOL have to be in the .001% income bracket to join) have ownerships stakes everywhere or will have shortly. I'm fairly sure that the Kingsett growth subsidiaries and their joint partners are not the same for the whole block.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Toronto has a mini-New York vibe going on there in that render.
I don't mind Toronto trying to battle New York in the skyline realm but I sure as hell hope they don't bring that mentality down to it's street level urban form.

NYC is a great place but people often it say, despite it's crowds, that it is impersonal. This is because it is a high-rise city but only a high-rise city like every single Chinese city. In short there are no houses of 1 or 2 story older buildings that help give a city it's warmth. Tall buildings can add urbanity, vibrancy, and density but they can never add intimacy or a human scale. Vancouver also lacks this intimacy and despite being a much smaller city and yet densely populated, the downtown has a distinct sterility.

This is what gives Toronto's downtown a distinct series of communities that ease in their connectivity and intimate in the midst of endless skyscrapers.

New York is a great city but it's the last one Toronto should be looking as a model for it's street level development.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 7:14 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't mind Toronto trying to battle New York in the skyline realm but I sure as hell hope they don't bring that mentality down to it's street level urban form.

NYC is a great place but people often it say, despite it's crowds, that it is impersonal. This is because it is a high-rise city but only a high-rise city like every single Chinese city. In short there are no houses of 1 or 2 story older buildings that help give a city it's warmth. Tall buildings can add urbanity, vibrancy, and density but they can never add intimacy or a human scale. Vancouver also lacks this intimacy and despite being a much smaller city and yet densely populated, the downtown has a distinct sterility.

This is what gives Toronto's downtown a distinct series of communities that ease in their connectivity and intimate in the midst of endless skyscrapers.

New York is a great city but it's the last one Toronto should be looking as a model for it's street level development.

Despite the skyscrapers, New York is a solid midrise city with a superior human scale to anywhere in Canada. It helps too that the majority of the built form is 100 years old.

Vancouver actually lacks the density and built form one would expect from so many high rises. It's anonymity and lack of intimacy is a reflection of that. It doesn't help that the majority of the core was built in the last 50 years of which a major portion is less than 30 years old.

The densities being proposed in Toronto tend to be much higher than what's allowed in New York's skyscraper zones.

Height doesn't tell the whole story.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

I really disagree with you. What you describe only apply to the central part of midtown and downtown/financial district. It's a very reductive view point of a much more complex urban entity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada