HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
My point is that it will be a challenge for any city. Yes some cities will have more talent from the start, but any city who gets this will also be on the receiving end of migration to fill jobs.
Got it now.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Thinking about this some more... and I've decided it's going to happen. Pittsburgh is gonna land Amazon.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
A move north of the border could make sense for a number of reasons... one influencing factor could be Jeff Bezos' distaste for the administration of President Chump.
If Amazon would do that, I highly doubt it would be the last company to choose Canada over the US for North American expansion in the future. I am certainly feel about the lack of concern amount the mouth breathing masses for education and a proper workforce for the future might harm us, along with who is running the show for now. Anyway, assuming Amazon isn't already close to a deal with a different city though, I think Pittsburgh could certainly get a serious consideration from them.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:08 PM

The state needs to be on board and also come up with something that would apply for either Pittsburgh or Philly, as both will go for this.

Some cities like Atlanta and Chicago have no instate competition.

PA needs to get its shit together for this one, as it will benefit with either city getting this.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady View Post
I think if a Pennsylvania city gets it then it would probably be Philadelphia mainly because of the Schuylkill Yards. I hope a PA city gets it though, it would be revolutionary for both cities.
Pittsburgh has the civic arena redevelopment site and ALMONO. Both are shovel ready.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:42 PM

CityLab article about Blvd of the Allies and Uptown

CityLab has its second Pittsburgh article this week, this one about Blvd of the Allies and Uptown:

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/...MTkyMzI4ODY2S0

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
2 Notes from Downtown:
-Sally's Beauty Supply has vacated from the corner of Wood and Sixth Ave. A while ago, there were plans for a boutique hotel to go in that building. Hopefully that is still on course or at least some type of redevelopment.
Forbes Hotel is on hold due to lack of financing. Interestingly, there is strong interest in building out the project---including the new addition on the Abry's site---for an office project but the RCAP funding from the state is specifically tied to the building's conversion to a hotel. Office project loses the funding. So nothing will happen for a while.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:26 PM

Cool article on the leisurely reinvigoration of Carrick:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/featur...ew-pittsburgh/

Affordability, historic charm, and the combination of a peaceful/neighborhoody feel while still being in the City are the main attractions, and all that is really a Pittsburgh specialty, which goes way beyond just the East End.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Thinking about this some more... and I've decided it's going to happen. Pittsburgh is gonna land Amazon.
Obviously it depends on what they are really looking for, but I don't see why we couldn't have a good shot. We can always be trumped by certain bigger metros when it comes to the sheer scale of the already-existing local/regional tech industries. But if Amazon is more looking for a place which has a good foundation and could easily (and efficiently, meaning relatively cheaply) undergo significant expansion, then Pittsburgh has to be right at the top of such a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
PA needs to get its shit together for this one, as it will benefit with either city getting this.
I agree, but one thing I hope doesn't happen is we get in a race to provide all sorts of massive tax incentives. I've got no problem with offering to contribute public capital, but it should be mostly directed to building things that will provide long-term benefits, like infrastructure and so forth.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:42 PM

We discussed this briefly when it was first announced. Hitchhiker Brewing is opening its second, much larger, brewing and tap room location in Sharpsburg:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...atch-ambition/

I really like the look:

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
CityLab has its second Pittsburgh article this week, this one about Blvd of the Allies and Uptown:

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/...MTkyMzI4ODY2S0
That's going to be such a heavy lift politically, but it would really be great if it could be pulled off. We're talking about the rough equivalent of Grandview Avenue connecting Downtown and Oakland, right next to a neighborhood primed for redevelopment.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:46 PM

The city continues to slowly get its shit together regarding the new website structure. A lot of old planning reports seem to have been lost and/or are mislabeled, but the new ones are now coming up.

One is the 9/28 zoning report. A lot of earlier projects (food trucks in Lower Lawrenceville, the proposed new apartment building in Squirrel Hill) have been continued, which is never a good sign. There's also a good deal of small infill projects in South Side and Lawrenceville, as is typical. Most interesting (to me anyway) is this entire block in East Liberty appears to be set for reconstruction, with a new two-story structure filling up the vacant lots, and partial demo of the historic structures (which are all on one parcel), with a 38-space parking lot added. Unfortunately it looks like the parking will not be hidden in the alley, and some of it will front right on Baum Boulevard. I'm guessing they're planning to demolish the building closer to the AAA office.

Also, next week's planning commission presentation has landed! Only four projects, which is a bit surprising to me - I was expecting more considering the Commission had off all August.

1. A historic nomination of 2410 Saw Mill Run Boulevard in Overbrook. This structure was formerly the municipal building for Overbrook before it was annexed by the City of Pittsburgh. It was only shortly used for this reason, built in 1927-1928, with the borough annexed by the city in 1930. It was used as a firehouse for most of its history, and has been more recently converted into a boxing gym.

2. A property owner on Grandview Avenue wants to make an addition to their house in the rear. Since the Grandview Public Realm is under the purview of the Planning Commission, it is reviewed here, despite being a minor project.

3. The 929-931 Penn Avenue project - restoring an old building and filling in a gap in the street wall with a two-story structure - is reviewed for the second time by the Planning Commission. I don't see any substantive changes from the older version (which is no longer online to cross-reference) but it appears to have a few additional renderings I didn't see before.

4. Last, and certainly not least, the Pittsburgh Flats project - a 325-unit apartment building at 2213 Wharton Street in the South Side. This has gone before the zoning board in the past. I'm not sure why it's now going before the Planning Commission, because technically it's not in any of the areas with mandatory review by the Planning Commission - perhaps because part of it is within the Riverfront IPOD? Regardless, it gives more public detail (and better quality renderings) regarding the planned project. The design is much, much more "new classical" than any of the other apartment buildings I've seen in Pittsburgh. I think it's a nice change of pace. I also like how even though the first floor is podium parking, the first floor from the outside looks identical to the upper stories, giving you no hint of the parking within. IIRC the building is slightly too long to fall under the Riverfront IPOD zoning requirements, so this won't sail through.

Edit: I also see the city is subdividing parcels in Allegheny Dwellings and Northview Heights. This is a BFD, because it means plans to redevelop/convert these sites into modern, mixed-income communities are moving along.

Last edited by eschaton; Sep 8, 2017 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:03 PM

Has anyone heard if the Almono site in Hazelwood is available for an Amazon bid?

It seems like such a large stretch of undeveloped riverfront property within an existing city is exactly what Amazon is looking for as a site for it's 2nd headquarters. That and the proximity to CMU are excellent selling points.

If selected, it would be massive for the local economy. Pittsburgh would become the definition of a boom city. With that comes both the good and bad, more jobs but also more expensive housing. I think Pittsburgh can stand a bit of real-estate inflation in exchange for the economic benefits. Also, mass transit works better at a higher population density. Ironically, returning Pittsburgh to it's previous population levels might decrease the average commute time.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Most interesting (to me anyway) is this entire block in East Liberty appears to be set for reconstruction, with a new two-story structure filling up the vacant lots, and partial demo of the historic structures (which are all on one parcel), with a 38-space parking lot added. Unfortunately it looks like the parking will not be hidden in the alley, and some of it will front right on Baum Boulevard. I'm guessing they're planning to demolish the building closer to the AAA office.
Always nice to see more infill in East Liberty, but frankly I was hoping for more height/density than that in this area. I particularly don't like to see any surface parking, let alone right on the street. So personally, I'd be inclined to vote against those variances, although I guess I could look at the actual design first.

Quote:
4. Last, and certainly not least, the Pittsburgh Flats project - a 325-unit apartment building at 2213 Wharton Street in the South Side. This has gone before the zoning board in the past. I'm not sure why it's now going before the Planning Commission, because technically it's not in any of the areas with mandatory review by the Planning Commission - perhaps because part of it is within the Riverfront IPOD? Regardless, it gives more public detail (and better quality renderings) regarding the planned project. The design is much, much more "new classical" than any of the other apartment buildings I've seen in Pittsburgh. I think it's a nice change of pace. I also like how even though the first floor is podium parking, the first floor from the outside looks identical to the upper stories, giving you no hint of the parking within. IIRC the building is slightly too long to fall under the Riverfront IPOD zoning requirements, so this won't sail through.
In my view, its length should not be an issue in this particular location (it might be in practice, but I would vote in favor). It isn't blocking a street or anything, and all that is happening there is 23rd and 24th are spreading apart due to the bend in the river and consequent bend in the street grid.

And I agree it is a nice-looking building, which would fit right into the South Side.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:48 PM

PBT Article on Potential Amazon Sites

Almono and The World Trade Center site near the Airport are the two leading candidates.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...467&j=78799521

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Has anyone heard if the Almono site in Hazelwood is available for an Amazon bid?

It seems like such a large stretch of undeveloped riverfront property within an existing city is exactly what Amazon is looking for as a site for it's 2nd headquarters. That and the proximity to CMU are excellent selling points.

If selected, it would be massive for the local economy. Pittsburgh would become the definition of a boom city. With that comes both the good and bad, more jobs but also more expensive housing. I think Pittsburgh can stand a bit of real-estate inflation in exchange for the economic benefits. Also, mass transit works better at a higher population density. Ironically, returning Pittsburgh to it's previous population levels might decrease the average commute time.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:54 PM

I'm unfamiliar with the world trade center site near the airport. (Stupid paywall) What does it have to offer?

On the radio this morning it was stated that Amazon prefers urban campuses over suburban. Although it wasn't clear the source of that assertion. Considering how millennials are driving less, renting more and moving to urban centers, that would seem to make sense for Amazon. Their press release did state that access to mass transit was part of the selection criteria.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with the world trade center site near the airport. (Stupid paywall) What does it have to offer?

On the radio this morning it was stated that Amazon prefers urban campuses over suburban. Although it wasn't clear the source of that assertion. Considering how millennials are driving less, renting more and moving to urban centers, that would seem to make sense for Amazon. Their press release did state that access to mass transit was part of the selection criteria.
The RFP (Request for Proposals) Amazon sent out stated they PREFER an Urban/Downtown location, with transit and highway access, bike and pedestrian access, no more than 45 minutes from an international airport. They also need 8 million at full build out and are looking for a place that has 500,000 square feet readily available.

It also states they have a preference for cities/communities that are thinking big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Some info from earlier this year:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...s/201704220066

I understand it is basically this chunk of hilly land between I-376 and Clinton Road.

I'm a bit confused as I wouldn't think this fit Amazon's criteria as well as something like ALMONO or the Lower Hill site.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:20 PM

Here are some requirements and preferences from the RFQ:

-Metropolitan areas with more than one million people
-A stable and business-friendly environment
-Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
-Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options
-An urban or downtown campus
-A similar layout to Amazon’s Seattle campus
-A development-prepped site. We want to encourage states/provinces and communities to think
creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline

Building sites:
- Amazon is considering greenfield sites, infill sites, existing buildings, or a
combination for the Project. If existing buildings are available that can be retrofitted/expanded within an acceptable budget and time schedule, Amazon may consider this option; however, the company acknowledges that existing buildings may not be available to meet its requirements. As such, Amazon
will prioritize certified or shovel-ready greenfield sites and infill opportunities with appropriate infrastructure and ability to meet the Project’s timeline and development demands, as set forth below.
1. Existing buildings of at least 500,000+ sq. ft., meeting the core requirements described above and that are expandable or have additional options for developmentnearby.
2. A greenfield site of approximately 100 acres certified or pad ready, with utility infrastructure in place. The sites do not have to be contiguous, but should be in proximity to each other to foster a sense of place and be pedestrian-friendly.
3. Other infill, existing buildings, including opportunities for renovation/redevelopment and greenfield sites, meeting the proximity and logistics requirements of the Project. This can also be a combination of the above.
4. Please also consider the overall proximity of the buildings at full build-out as you are making recommendations.

Campus/site explanation:
At full build-out, the campus or park may exceed 8 million square feet and over $5 billion in total capital investment. Amazon will continue to invest in
its facilities to ensure we offer a state-of-the-art workplace for our employees. States, provinces and metro economic development organizations should consider this as they suggest potential sites. Be
sure to include opportunities to cultivate local culture and creativity into the Amazon HQ2 site. Also, include connectivity options: sidewalks, bike lanes, trams, metro, bus, light rail, train, and additional creative options to foster connectivity between buildings/facilities.

Key Preferences and Decision Drivers
Site/Building – As described herein, finding suitable buildings/sites is of paramount importance. Amazon HQ2 is a transformational Project, and we must ensure we have the best real estate options available whether this be a redevelopment opportunity, a partnership with the state, province, local government, or new buildings. All options are under consideration.

Capital and Operating Costs – A stable and business-friendly environment and tax structure will be high-priority considerations for the Project. Incentives offered by the state/province and local communities to offset initial capital outlay and ongoing operational costs will be significant factors in the decision-making process.

Incentives – Identify incentive programs available for the Project at the state/province and local levels. Outline the type of incentive (i.e. land, site preparation, tax credits/exemptions, relocation grants, workforce grants, utility incentives/grants, permitting, and fee reductions) and the amount.
The initial cost and ongoing cost of doing business are critical decision drivers.

Labor Force – The Project includes significant employment requirements at the threshold compensation levels described herein and with corresponding educational attainment of the available workforce. The Project must be sufficiently close to a significant population center, such that it can fill the 50,000 estimated jobs that will be required over multiple years. A highly educated labor pool is critical and a strong university system is required.

Logistics – Personnel travel and logistics needs, both from population centers to the Project site, as well as between company facilities, are critically important. As such, travel time to a major highway corridor and arterial roadway capacity potential are key factors. The highway corridors must provide direct access to significant population centers with eligible employment pools. Travel time to an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, San Francisco/Bay Area, and Washington, D.C. is also an important consideration.

Time to Operations – The Project requires an expeditious timetable for the location decision and the commencement of construction. Given this, sites with the requisite access, utility infrastructure, and zoning are critical. Please outline the permitting process and estimated timetable to initiate Phase I of our operations.

Cultural Community Fit – The Project requires a compatible cultural and community environment for its long-term success. This includes the presence and support of a diverse population, excellent institutions of higher education, local government structure and elected officials eager and willing to work with the company, among other attributes. A stable and consistent business climate is important to Amazon. Please demonstrate characteristics of this in your response. We encourage testimonials from other large companies.

Community/Quality of Life – The Project requires a significant number of employees. We want to invest in a community where our employees will enjoy living, recreational opportunities, educational opportunities, and an overall high quality of life. Tell us what is unique about your community.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:48 PM

The Lower Hill or AMAZONO still look to me like the most natural fit given their RFP:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....516043504_.pdf

As I read the "Priority for Consideration" on the bottom of Page 3, they are discussing three different categories: (1) conversion of existing buildings; (2) a 100-acre greenfield site; or (3) some blend of infill, existing buildings, and greenfield sites meeting their requirements.

ALMONO is something like 178 acres, so that would seem to easily fit into category 2. At a guess, there are not a whole ton of sites like that right next to university centers in cities otherwise meeting their requirements.

The Lower Hill is only 28 acres, so that might be a little tight on its own. However, there is a lot of potential room both in the near Strip and Uptown, and maybe with some creativity you could tie that all together as a possible project site.

One issue: direct Seattle flights. That is something I would hope various relevant officials could commit to supporting with subsidies, if necessary--although you would think this would eventually create self-sustaining demand.

Edit: By the way, there is also the Carrie Furnace site at 168 acres. I would tend to think it would be trumped by the ALMONO site for centrality/proximity reasons if nothing else, but there are existing plans for residential development at ALMONO, much of which might have to be scrapped, whereas Carrie Furnace has always been thought of as more of an office park/light-industrial possibility:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/featur...furnaces-site/

Last edited by BrianTH; Sep 8, 2017 at 9:00 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations