HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
So here are a few rumors I have heard that are completely unsubstantiated and probably have no basis in truth - but fun none the less

- Texas Instruments has inquired about the lot to the west of the Caterpillar building (the landfill remediation lot) for a new location for their Tucson offices

- Plans are being developed for one 6 story and one 11 story building on the large lot(s) south of Sentinel Plaza, on the northeast corner of Cushing and Linda Ave.

- An announcement on the rumored Amazon Distribution Center is expected soon
One down. Hope the others are right, too.

http://tucson.com/business/amazon-to...home-top-story

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
One down. Hope the others are right, too.

http://tucson.com/business/amazon-to...home-top-story
I'm glad its signed, sealed, and out in the open. I was giddy about this one for awhile.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
My understanding is that they are gauging interest for the next 3-4 months. They are supposed to return with updated specs at end of summer. The building could be anywhere between 12-20 stories.

If they come back at 20, that is great news as it shows demand in Tucson.
Thanks for the add'l detail on this, man. Obviously hope it's 20 but not sure that would make it taller than old Unisource...possible I suppose but would be close. Seems silly to go tall and not top the tallest with just another 2-3 stories but that's how we roll in Zona I guess lol

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Thanks for the add'l detail on this, man. Obviously hope it's 20 but not sure that would make it taller than old Unisource...possible I suppose but would be close. Seems silly to go tall and not top the tallest with just another 2-3 stories but that's how we roll in Zona I guess lol
If I remember correctly, this building is capped at 200'. 1 South Church is 235' or close to that. This one will not become the tallest. It would be nice to see a new "Tallest Building in Tucson", but I will take anybody who sees the demand for 10+ floors.

I guess it should be said that 5 of the floors will be devoted to parking, so it is not technically 20 stories of office/retail

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, this building is capped at 200'. 1 South Church is 235' or close to that. This one will not become the tallest. It would be nice to see a new "Tallest Building in Tucson", but I will take anybody who sees the demand for 10+ floors.

I guess it should be said that 5 of the floors will be devoted to parking, so it is not technically 20 stories of office/retail
One South Church is 330 feet I believe. I think this proposal tops at 300.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
One South Church is 330 feet I believe. I think this proposal tops at 300.
My bad, you're right. 300 and 330

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 11:33 PM
Skyriser

300' is much closer to what this thing is and what people are reporting. Span to span heights are about 13' on a modern highrise, some of them are going higher still. Garage heights are smaller, but note how big the first floor is, the developer is saying 50'. Also looks like there's excess height on the top floor.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
300' is much closer to what this thing is and what people are reporting. Span to span heights are about 13' on a modern highrise, some of them are going higher still. Garage heights are smaller, but note how big the first floor is, the developer is saying 50'. Also looks like there's excess height on the top floor.
You all beat me to punch - yes, Emporis has former Unisource/Wells/Norwest/Union Bank (I'm old!) height at 330' so I'd say this building has to be at least 300' with larger floorplate to floorplate gaps than what was common in 80's. Let's hope at least 300' as that would really help the skyline.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 3:36 PM

Not sure if anybody caught these little lines in either of these news stories, but it appears there are 2 more announcements coming by the end of July about new employers in town.

Caterpillar celebrates a milestone in Tucson
"Sun Corridor says there will be two more announcements about companies moving to Tucson within the next 60 days."

Amazon bringing more than 1,500 jobs to Tucson
"Snell [CEO of Sun Corridor] says he also anticipates two more announcements in the next 60 days. "

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Not sure if anybody caught these little lines in either of these news stories, but it appears there are 2 more announcements coming by the end of July about new employers in town.

Caterpillar celebrates a milestone in Tucson
"Sun Corridor says there will be two more announcements about companies moving to Tucson within the next 60 days."

Amazon bringing more than 1,500 jobs to Tucson
"Snell [CEO of Sun Corridor] says he also anticipates two more announcements in the next 60 days. "
Good catch. I hadn't noticed that.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 10:22 PM

Nice article about Tucson's food scene in Food and Wine magazine

Where to Eat and Drink in Tucson, Arizona

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:27 PM

Recent real estate transactions across Pima County

This kinda went under the radar. I wish there was more detail to this brief sub-article from May 11th, but it does sound like things are starting to move:

Tucson Industrial Development Authority is selling a downtown parking lot to promote development.

The Tucson Industrial Development Authority, which issues revenue bonds and provides financing for qualified projects and helps single-family homebuyers obtain down payment assistance and mortgage tax credits, is selling a well-known parking lot to advance downtown Tucson’s revitalization.

TIDA is selling Block 175, the 2-acre parking lot bounded by Church and Court avenues and Franklin and Council streets, and across Court from El Charro Café. TIDA acquired Block 175 in 1985 in partnership with the Downtown Development Corporation with the goal of selling it to developers to promote downtown development. TIDA became the sole owner of the property in 2008.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Recent real estate transactions across Pima County

This kinda went under the radar. I wish there was more detail to this brief sub-article from May 11th, but it does sound like things are starting to move:

Tucson Industrial Development Authority is selling a downtown parking lot to promote development.

The Tucson Industrial Development Authority, which issues revenue bonds and provides financing for qualified projects and helps single-family homebuyers obtain down payment assistance and mortgage tax credits, is selling a well-known parking lot to advance downtown Tucson’s revitalization.

TIDA is selling Block 175, the 2-acre parking lot bounded by Church and Court avenues and Franklin and Council streets, and across Court from El Charro Café. TIDA acquired Block 175 in 1985 in partnership with the Downtown Development Corporation with the goal of selling it to developers to promote downtown development. TIDA became the sole owner of the property in 2008.
kaneui mentioned this somewhere. I'm guessing Gadsden either didn't have the necessary financing or all the parties got sick of trying to come up with something that would satisfy all the neighbors. A fully private development probably won't have the same concerns about appeasing picky neighbors.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:27 PM

Rio Nuevo Board advances El Presidio renovation, TCC improvements for arena football team

I've been impressed with the Rio Nuevo Board the last several years, although I'm curious as to what is gonna happen with the Arena Site...and now this arena football idea.

The article states: Arena Football League. If true, the AFL is the highest tier of arena football, however there are only 4 teams...all 4 in the east coast. The Arizona Rattlers recently left this league for the 2nd tier Indoor Football League. This league has 6 teams. Since 2010, there have been approximately 29 teams that folded, including the Tucson Thunder Kats, and 6 failed expansion teams that never played a game.

Finally, there is the Champions Indoor Football league. It appears to be a 3rd tier league with 11 teams, including the Duke City Gladiators based in Albuquerque. For me personally, my opinion, especially with the history of arena football in Tucson and around the country...this is a waste of $$$ and time and effort. Minor league hockey has done alright...the Roadrunners have been a winning team. The true test for fans and the community is when the team is not winning. Its outside of the Rio Nuevo realm, but soccer is the regional and global sport and the way to go.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:17 PM

Both UA Tech Parks in Tucson move ahead with hotel, office and residential plans

From David Wichner in today's AZ Daily Star:

Quote:
Office buildings will finally start going up at the UA Tech Park at the Bridges on Tucson’s south side, and planning is underway for a mixed-use “urban village” development for the Tech Park on Rita Road, according to plans unveiled by the University of Arizona Thursday.

Tech Parks Arizona announced Thursday that it has picked The Boyer Co., a Salt Lake City company, as a development partner to design and develop a new “Technology Precinct” at The Bridges, at South Kino Parkway and East 36th Street.

The first development in the Technology Precinct is expected to be the Innovation and Technology Complex, initially anchored by a four-story office building that will house the UA’s technology-commercialization operation, Tech Launch Arizona, as soon as early next year.

Tech Parks Arizona also selected Tucson-based Bourn Cos. as master developer of The Village, a 175-acre proposed development at the Tech Park on Rita Road including commercial, residential and hotel components.
The Village is still in the early planning stages and Bourn still must bring in other developers and investors, Bourn said.

“We’re not looking at the next five years; we’re looking at the next 25 or 30 years,” he said. “All great cities have dense nodes of activity that bring energy and excitement, and we really believe that for the southeastern part of Tucson, this can become that node, if not become the No. 1 node for research and development.”

The new plans for The Bridges are further along, as UA officials floated the idea of an initial tech building anchored by Tech Launch Arizona more than two years ago.

Long-term plans for the Technology Precinct at The Bridges include four to five office buildings, a full-service hotel and conference center, a parking structure and 400,000 square feet of additional office and lab space.

The first structure planned is a four-story, 120,000-square foot office building dedicated to education and housing Tech Launch Arizona, which currently resides in the aging Tucson Electric Power Co. building on St. Mary’s Road near Interstate 10.

A second, adjacent lab and office building is planned with six floors and 180,000 square feet, said Bradley Leathley, a principal in the project’s architectural firm, Flad Architects.

Both renders from Tech Parks Arizona

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
- Plans are being developed for one 6 story and one 11 story building on the large lot(s) south of Sentinel Plaza, on the northeast corner of Cushing and Linda Ave.
Messing around on PRO, I see that these two lots are now owned by Riverside Development Group LLC. Up to December 2017, they were owned by Mission District Partners. The two members of Riverside Development Group are Aerie Development LLC (owners of 1 South Church) and Mission District Partners. The Weinsteins transferring partial ownership of the properties probably indicates there are some sort of development plans out there.

Last edited by Ted Lyons; Jun 2, 2018 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:42 PM

In passing conversation a friend mentioned that they are looking for a new location for the Moxy hotel. Apparently, the lot on 5th can not support the structure they had planned to build.

Has anyone heard something similar? I wonder if they will go back to the Ronstadt project

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
In passing conversation a friend mentioned that they are looking for a new location for the Moxy hotel. Apparently, the lot on 5th can not support the structure they had planned to build.

Has anyone heard something similar? I wonder if they will go back to the Ronstadt project
Well, that would be a massive engineering failure. IIRC, that garage was always meant to be topped with a similar sized structure.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:48 PM

Plans revised for apartment project next to iconic Tucson monastery
The developer of the Benedictine Monastery site has agreed to lower the height of the tallest proposed apartment buildings by 19 feet, protect the structure as a historic landmark and preserve a beloved avocado tree on the grounds.

But the gesture may not be enough for some who want the entire site — orchards, walking paths and quiet spaces — spared from development after the Tucson City Council’s intervention last month to begin the process of historic designation for the monastery.

The 6-acre site, at 800 N. Country Club Road, was bought by local developer Ross Rulney last year after the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration sold it to relocate to Missouri.

In a letter to the mayor and council, delivered Friday, architect Corky Poster said the new proposal would provide 222 units — the number currently allowed — prohibit student housing and protect the monastery from demolition.

Rulney needs the city to rezone the site from its current allowable use of group dwelling, which includes student housing, and office space to multifamily housing and retail.

“It will cost the city nothing and produce property and sales tax,” Poster wrote. “Or the Mayor and Council can reject the new proposal, leaving Ross to build under current zoning, likely student housing.”

In that scenario, the architectural firm Poster Frost Mirto would bow out of the project because it specializes in historic preservation, not student housing.

“Let’s stop the expensive gamesmanship and work together … to develop a project that we all can enjoy and be proud of,” Poster wrote.

DESIGN DISPUTE
The original plan featured two buildings north and south of the monastery with a height of 85 feet and a third building on the east with a height of 55 feet. The revised plan proposes two 66-foot-buildings north and south and a 45-foot building on the east.

A sticking point for the city councilman who represents the area neighborhoods is that the buildings not be taller than the monastery.

Rulney and Poster say the building will be 22 and 33 feet lower than the monastery height, but Councilman Steve Kozachik said the measure of “height” should not include the cupola.

“We just fundamentally disagree with the idea of what they’re proposing,” Kozachik said. “I told Corky he should not count on me leading a parade down Country Club with pompoms in support of it.”

Shorter buildings would be “a conversation starter” Kozachik said, but declined to say what height he would accept.

“I’m not designing the building for them,” he said. “Design guidelines are no taller than the existing building — the building mass.”

Kozachik, who initiated proceeding with historic designation of the monastery, said the designation would apply to the whole site.

“There’s room to use the site as a negotiating piece,” he said. “He may not be able to develop what he wants to develop, but he can develop something.”

Beyond immediate neighbors, Kozachik said he has gotten feedback from people all over the city to protect the monastery.

“The ball is in their court and we’re moving forward with the historic listing process,” he said. “While that’s going on, they’re perfectly free to come in and talk about what can be built.”

A group of residents from the Miramonte and Sam Hughes neighborhoods did not embrace the latest proposal.

The “vote by the mayor and council was a game changer in reorienting this discussion toward solutions that respect the historic building and the neighborhoods,” Neighbors for Reasonable Monastery Development said in a statement sent to the Star.

“We urge the development team to recognize this new environment and explore real alternatives beyond the six- or seven-story apartment towers we have seen thus far.”

RETURN ON INVESTMENT
Rulney and Poster say they believe there is broad support for market-rate rentals on the property.

“It provides a currently nonexistent housing choice for middle-income millennials and empty-nesters that want to live near all the amenities Sam Hughes and Miramonte residents enjoy,” Poster said.

Rulney said the concession of two stories was a nod to the feedback from neighbors, as was his promise to preserve the large avocado tree in the courtyard. He said he has no intention of selling the site.

“I will develop the property, preserve the monastery and protect my rights of ownership,” he said.

More units — and subsequent height — are the only way to get a return on investment, Poster said. The current height limit is 40 feet.

“In order to keep per-square-foot costs of quality construction at a level that can be repaid by the top end of that rental market, we need the economies of scale, i.e. more units,” he said. “Without that, only higher rents will solve our problem. And those higher rents are only available from student housing.”

If the rezoning isn’t approved, Rulney will proceed with development of student housing, as is currently allowed.

“The sisters marketed and sold the property based on highest and best use, and student housing is just that,” he said. If that’s the case, the only rezoning needed would be for the monastery to be developed for retail, hospitality, boutique or wellness.

“Today’s zoning allows student group dwelling and office,” Rulney said, “which dictates that the existing building will only be visited by those who lease space and without public access.”

“There’s room to use the site as a negotiating piece. He may not be able to develop what he wants to develop, but he can develop something.” Steve Kozachik, Tucson city councilman

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 11:04 PM

_

Last edited by T'Town; Jul 31, 2018 at 6:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest