HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 7:44 PM

Not sure if this gets noticed anywhere else in Canada...but it's a good annual vent in Banff now, and will be televised on FSN (not sure when though). As well, the funds raised this year will stay in Canada for the Waterkeepers Canadian chapter. The event originally was supposed to cycle between US and Canadian mountain resorts, but Kennedy and Baldwin love coming to Banff (and the Banff Springs) so much, that they just continue to return every year...

Just one of many articles in the Calgary Herald from the last week...

Stars glam it up for Banff gala
Article Tools
Printer friendly
Font: * * * * Tom Babin, Calgary Herald
Published: Sunday, January 21, 2007
He may not have been the biggest attraction of the weekend -- that would be Christie Brinkley, judging by the flashbulbs following her -- but Tim Robbins's arrival at the gala dinner in Banff on Saturday signal-led the arrival of perhaps Hollywood's big-gest activist.

Robbins was scheduled to attend the annual Fairmont Banff Springs Sports Invitational, a fundraiser for Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s environmental group the Waterkeeper Alliance, but was a no-show for the first two days of the event.

But the star flew in from New York just in time for the gala.

"I don't even get to go skiing. I have to fly out tomorrow."

Others who appeared at the event included actors Mimi Rogers, Fran Drescher, Marcia Gay Harden and event host Alec Baldwin.

The dinner and a silent auction -- which included such items as a walk-on role on the NBC sitcom 30 Rock, two days in Cape Cod with the Kennedy family, a 10-day trek through Bhutan with Kennedy and Dan Aykroyd -- are expected to raise upwards of $1 million for the Waterkeeper.

Peter Frampton was to perform at the gala.

Although Kennedy left the question of the night unanswered -- would he run for the U.S. Senate in Hillary Clinton's seat? -- Robbins was happy to give him a little nudge.

"I've been asking him to do that for years," Robbins said.

tbabin@theherald.canwest.com

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 8:00 PM
Architecture enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

i'm going to watch the show tonight just to spite wente. god she is annoying.
I detest that selfish cow. She should have stayed in her native USA where everything is done to her liking. I can't believe the G&M keeps her on payroll. They should trade her to the Post for a stapler, or a doorstop or something.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 4:45 AM

So Water (Canada's entry this year to the Oscar's) was selected for the short list. Has anyone seen it yet? I wanted to but never got around to it..

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 7:03 PM

wait a second didn't Water come out in TIFF in Sept 2005????

It was released in 2005 but is getting picked for 2007. Wierd...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:09 AM

i know

its been on Movie Central for a long time now - and its been on DVD for most of 2006 i think

perhaps it got an international release long after the Canadian release

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 5:34 AM

Are Canadian babies ready for their own TV channel?

A TV channel aimed at babies under age three that has caused controversy in the U.S. and U.K. could soon be launched in Canada.

The CRTC, the federal regulator in charge of television, has approved the channel for distribution and Rogers Cable, one of Canada's largest cable carriers, is considering carrying it.

"We're having discussions with the channel to offer it to our customers," said Nancy Cottenden, a spokeswoman for Rogers, which serves viewers in Ontario and New Brunswick.

The channel offers commercial-free, educational programming that encourages interaction between parent and child, the broadcasters say. It would be available with a subscription fee.

But experts in child development say infants and toddlers should not be left in front of a television.

The American Academy of Pediatrics says infants and toddlers need to play and talk with others, and should be kept away from TV.

A 2003 study by the Kaiser Family Foundation, a U.S.-based independent health think-tank, found that 68 per cent of American children under age two watch TV or videos daily.

BabyFirstTV launched in the U.S. last May and the BabyTV channel has been available in the U.K. since October.

Baby-appropriate programming
Dr. Edward McCabe, president of the American Pediatric Society and a member of the advisory board for BabyFirstTV, says if children are watching, they need appropriate content.

McCabe says he supports age-appropriate programming that has been designed with input from child-development experts.

"The studies all show that babies are watching TV," he said. "So let's provide babies and their families with the right content."

The Canadian version of BabyTV, available in both official languages, has short segments that are easier to understand for young children and claims to avoid the rapid flash and noise of regular TV programming.

Instead it features baby songs, animated segments, soothing music and gentle colours in the evening to help babies sleep, and games and activities parents and children can do together.

A Canadian competitor that had a similar channel proposal called BabyHD says it is disappointed the CRTC approved a channel with no homegrown shows.

"We are hugely disappointed with the CRTC's decision," said David Patterson, senior vice-president of High Fidelity HDTV Inc. in Toronto. "We're back to having to consider our alternatives."

BabyTV, based in the U.K., is pre-packaged and already shown in more than a dozen countries. It applied to the CRTC a month ahead of Patterson's BabyHD.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...0/baby-tv.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 1:49 PM
Trudeaufolksiac

Then what the fuck is Treehouse for? Put that on and all the babies sit in a semi-circle in front of the TV, leaving me some free time to play SC4. How can you beat that??

"Yer watshin TWEEHAUZ!!"

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 10:01 PM

treehouse is for an older demographic

like 3+?

baby is 3-

what are they gonna show?

they could show this 24/7 or at least make it a 30 minute program

or have people playing peekaboo

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 10:18 PM

Has anyone and gone and seen something that isn't a movie at a theatre?

Quote:
Cineplex looks to Broadway after opera hit

Cineplex's success with high-definition, pay-per-view National Hockey League games and the recently introduced direct-from-satellite live performances from Lincoln Center of the New York's Metropolitan Opera has convinced the company to look into putting on more special events.

Professional wrestling, World Cup soccer, speakers' series and big-screen video-game competitions have already appeared at Cineplex theatres, along with pay-per-view concerts by David Bowie and Bon Jovi.

What's next? Possibly Broadway shows.

"I would love to see Broadway productions on screen, and I think our audiences would as well," said Pat Marshall, vice-president of communications and investor relations for Cineplex, Canada's largest cinema chain.

The company is planning to meet with Broadway producers later this year.

"It's absolutely in our strategic plan," Marshall said.

Meanwhile, Cineplex is already expanding the number of theatres from 28 to 34 across Canada offering opera simulcasts and encore presentations from the Met.

The six additional cinemas are in Montreal; Mississauga; Newmarket, Ont.; Peterborough, Ont.; Ottawa and Nanaimo, B.C., and the next scheduled performance is a repeat screening of Bellini's I Puritani on Feb. 10. Also on the schedule is the live simulcast of Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin on Feb. 24, a repeat showing of Tan Dun's The First Emperor on March 10 and the live simulcasts of Rossini's The Barber of Seville March 24 and Puccini's Il Trittico on April 28. There has already been a "tremendous amount" of advance tickets sold for the last live simulcasts, Cineplex said.

Canada is one of a number of countries showing the high-definition Met performances in movie theatres. Cineplex's original plan was to screen the operas in only 12 major movie markets across Canada. But by the time the curtain rose on the first simulcast of Mozart's Magic Flute on Dec. 30, a number of smaller cities had been added, from Coquitlam, B.C., to Ste-Foy, Que.

Because Cineplex is a publicly traded company and hasn't released its quarterly financials yet, Marshall could only say that the Magic Flute simulcast sold out in 12 theatres (Victoria was the first community to sell out) "and our numbers only grew from there."

Cineplex has also been in contact with the Canadian Opera Company, and "we are certainly open to looking at a number of new opportunities along this genre," Marshall said.

"We have never experienced a situation like this in the past, whereby our guests [that is to say, theatregoers] are phoning my office, e-mailing my office, contacting our customer-service group and are walking up to our theatre managers in the volumes that they are" to find out about the simulcasts, she added. "The opera is a tremendous example of the strength of word-of-mouth advertising."

About 90 per cent of Cineplex theatres in Canada have digital projectors to play pay-per-view events, Marshall said. These, however, aren't the leading-edge projectors needed to show digital Hollywood movies. Cinema chains are still some way from a complete digital conversion, particularly since the chains are looking for Hollywood studios to foot the bills for those projectors. "So it's a $10,000 unit versus a $100,000 unit, which is what would be required to replace 35-millimetre film," Marshall said.

Still, with so many theatres already refitted with digital projectors of the quality used for the operas, Cineplex plans another season of Met simulcasts, with possibly more than the six shown this year.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rtainment/home

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:38 AM
Trudeaufolksiac

"Has anyone and gone and seen something that isn't a movie at a theatre?"

Considering it's the cinema you go to to see movies, yes. I assume many have!

I've seen several plays at the local theatre company but none in their new building. (Which is older than their old building but bigger, more historic and centrally located, and allows them to perform in a park with lots of audience interaction in the summer.)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:04 AM

oh you know what i mean - do you go watch WWE or hockey games at the multiplex

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:32 AM

what's the fuckin' point of watching a hockey game at a movie theater, unless you're a leafs fan that can't afford the outrageous price for a ticket to a game?

and those birthday parties they advertise... what kind of idiot would agree to wrangle a herd of kids to one of those? what an AWESOME idea.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 4:01 AM
Trudeaufolksiac

You can actually drop off the kids and the staff takes care of them. You can hop over to starbucks in your suv to cry about how your husband doesn't love you anymore while the kids are being force fed sugar by teenagers and watching Finding Nemo.

It's actually a great idea! Hey, if Zellers can host birthday parties, why cant Silvercity?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
what's the fuckin' point of watching a hockey game at a movie theater, unless you're a leafs fan that can't afford the outrageous price for a ticket to a game?

and those birthday parties they advertise... what kind of idiot would agree to wrangle a herd of kids to one of those? what an AWESOME idea.
they only broadcast the pay per view games

lots of people like to experience things in group settings be they friends or strangers - no different than going down to the bar to watch a game

i guess this forum is full of loners who hang out alone and dream of tall things?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 10:07 PM
Trudeaufolksiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they only broadcast the pay per view games

lots of people like to experience things in group settings be they friends or strangers - no different than going down to the bar to watch a game

i guess this forum is full of loners who hang out alone and dream of tall things?
Pretty much, yes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

That wasn't my point though, my point is why would you pay for it? Why pay to watch it in a theater when I can watch it with my buddies for free at the bar? Granted, I'll be spending money on beer, but it's probably cheaper than whatever 'deals' they offer at the cinema. Plus, they probably don't allow booze in those things.. bastards.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 3:35 AM
Trudeaufolksiac

Quote:
That wasn't my point though, my point is why would you pay for it? Why pay to watch it in a theater when I can watch it with my buddies for free at the bar? Granted, I'll be spending money on beer, but it's probably cheaper than whatever 'deals' they offer at the cinema. Plus, they probably don't allow booze in those things.. bastards.
Yes, but some people want to see it in a chair, unable to get up and talk amongst themselves without being shushed, while listening to sound of a superior qualitie on a screen as big as a house.

We call them 'loners' and they fuel the economy.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:27 AM

Quote:
maybe people are alcoholics or 13?

who knows

but the big screen is hot to watch

lately before movies they have been playing music videos - they look great up there

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 1:18 AM

I'm sure enjoying my non-CRTC approved Super Bowl commercials on Directv! lol

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 1:20 AM
Calgreedian

Don't even get me started on CRTC...
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada