HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 12:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Residential construction falls in core

March 03, 2010
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/731764

Public sector construction boomed in downtown Hamilton last year but it was a terrible year for boosting the number of people calling the core home.

There were 95 building permits issued in 2009 for the downtown, adding up to more than $108 million in construction. That almost doubled any single-year total since 2001 and lapped the average of $20 million a year.

But on the flip side, just three residential units were built in the core last year. That's a sharp drop from previous years and far off the average of 96 a year.

The city has cancelled more than $12 million in loans for residential development in Hamilton's downtown this year.

Of 10 projects approved for loans in 2007, eight have now been cancelled. Another six approved in 2003 and 2006 have been terminated.

Beginning in 2007, the city's loan program began to require construction to begin within two years so that funding is not tied up in projects not moving forward.

The cancelled loans include $1.7 million approved for the redevelopment of the now demolished Century Theatre into 97 residential units, $3.4 million for the former Royal Connaught property and $1.8 million to build a long-term stay hotel on Main Street West.

Ron Marini, the city's director of downtown renewal, says a lot of the recent residential slowdown is due to the recession and he's confident the numbers will start to climb.

There were no applications for the city's downtown residential loan program last year but there is already one filed this year. That's for a seven-storey condo and mixed-use building on James Street North beside Acclamation Bar and Grill.

More than 90 per cent of the city's downtown construction last year comes from five taxpayer-paid projects: City Hall, Lister Block, farmers' market and central library, the new transit terminal on MacNab Street and a new elementary school and community centre.

Councillor Chad Collins said at yesterday's economic development and planning committee meeting that he thinks attracting a grocery store to the downtown would go a long way to bringing in more residents.

Marini said it has been a priority for city staff but grocery chains generally make location decisions based on disposable income. "From a numbers point of view, we have a challenge with income levels."

He said the city tried to convince the owners of the Connaught property to consider a grocery express store, without success.

Councillor Brian McHattie said the city should directly market itself to every college and university in Ontario to attract a downtown campus.

Marini said his department is in "discussion with an institute of higher learning." He declined to say more in the public session.

Since its inception, the downtown residential loan program has helped to fund 747 units worth close to $85 million.

The program has delivered $33 worth of construction for every city dollar spent, Marini said. That ratio includes the program's only default: a $1.1-million loss when a condo development on King William Street went bankrupt.

That property, the former Spectator press building, has since been bought and is expected to be completed within the year.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 1:41 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

look behind that Acclamation fence... there are cars parked there

Last edited by realcity; Apr 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 3:04 PM

yep, and not just a few cars either, it's a full fledged parking lot

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:54 PM

I saw myself a construction crane

Last edited by realcity; Dec 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like progress is happening. I have their floor plans.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 6:52 PM

Care to share, SteelTown?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 6:26 PM

My wife ran into John Mokrycke and she said he has approval from the city for this project and can move on with it.

Last edited by LikeHamilton; Dec 20, 2010 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 10:57 PM

So much for having a pproval and moving on with the plans, that is unless someone else knows more then I do!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 3:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

One (1) new application was submitted in 2010, related to the planned construction of a mixed use development featuring 55 new dwelling units on James Street North at Mulberry Street. The project received approval of minor variances in December 2010 which will facilitate site plan approval for a new seven (7) storey building. It will contain ground floor retail, restaurant and banquet space, as an extension of the neighbouring Acclamation Restaurant, as well as some second floor offices, residential units on second to seventh floors, and two (2) levels of underground parking.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 12:45 AM
Hammer'd

Sounds really good. Can't wait for that one.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:08 AM

ya right, when that happens LRT will be flying down James. i have more faith in The Grand than this

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 12:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

181 James St. N. | ? | 7 fl | Planning -> 181 James St. N. | ? | 7 fl | Approved

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 3:06 PM

Nice to see that they got the okay for seven floors. For all of its bluster about being one of the city's key streets, James North seems preternaturally shy about intensification (thinking specifically of the five-floor build proposed for James and Vine a few years back).

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 7:33 PM

I was talking to architect John Mokrycke last night. He says the hold up right now is one objection to the project by Vasco Da Gama Portuguese Association on the south side of the property. They have offered to build a small park at the rear of the building for them. They have made an offer to buy their building from them and had agreed to a price only to be turned down by a last minute change by the club board. He is afraid that this may have to go to an OMB hearing before it is resolved.
It sounded like it may be a personality conflict between a powerful board member of the club and the owner of Acclamation.
This objection service no purpose other than delaying the project further, adding cost to all involved including the city for a project that is needed and wanted.
This is one time I think Mayor Bratina should get involved a broker a settlement.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 9:07 PM

What's the beef with this project? The height? All of James north doesn't have to be 3 stories. Any successful revitalizing street has development like this. I personally think we should ditch height restrictions in commercial areas and instead mandate good urban design i.e. streetwall, ground floor retail, which this proposal has. I should add that I live in this neighbourhood, in a single family home, and greatly support intensification such as this project and the Witton Lofts just around the corner.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 10:10 PM

I beg to differ on the idea to remove height restrictions. They are actually a key element in proper urban planning, especially when the goal is to intensify large swaths of undeveloped/underdeveloped properties. A high-rise condo tower at this address could very well be the kiss of death for surrounding development of any significant level of density. It is no coincidence that Landmark Place is to this day surrounded mainly by undeveloped parking lots and strip malls.

Restrictions on heights has historically allowed for the development of high-density, pedestrian friendly cities. The textbook example of this is Paris, which is quite comfortable with its network of communities comprised of 5-storey structures, so comfortable in fact that, with the exception of La Defense neighbourhood, highrises are a rarity in the bustling city of 2 million people.

A seven-storey condo project at this address is a good fit for the neighbourhood, and will allow for complementary projects to develop around it. I would take threats to take it to OMB to be idle in nature and should be treated as such. OMB is extremely unlikely to side against such a well-thought-out infill project which does not vary from the city's official plan in any significant manner.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 8:27 AM
Concerned Citizen

There's always going to be threats from a few disgruntled neighbours with any developement. Some people always feel threatened by progress. Let them take it to the OMB. They have no grounds for opposing this developement and the OMB will see that.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
What's the beef with this project? The height? All of James north doesn't have to be 3 stories. Any successful revitalizing street has development like this.
Here's an early beef, from July 2009:

Quote:
Perhaps the problem was getting hit at my sourest point of the day with no coffee in my system to dull the blow, but my reaction was more one of gut-twisting revulsion.

themotherfuckingcondo.jpg

Now, I like to think that whatever vitriol I may tend to spew in this forum comes with at least some degree of even-handed explanation, even a small attempt to glimpse the other side of an argument, but this won’t be one of those times. The coffee didn’t do the trick and I’m already craving something stronger, so I have no choice but to fully own up to my arts-supporting agenda and lay this out there.

The idea of a seven-story condo springing up on James sickens me to the point where I can’t pretend to care about the positive economic impact of such a thing. Its scale and aesthetic is callously out of step with the rest of the street’s heritage such that no amount of trendy loft stylings or rooftop garden is going to mitigate the fact that this venture has no interest in the cultural life of James North except as a means to a monetary end.
Height issues also flared up in 2007 over a new build proposed for a corner lot 100 meters north of the old, five-story Federal Building. The worry then was that "a five-storey structure with underground parking will be too big for the corner."

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 4:47 PM

This is so frustrating as this project could be the potential turning point for this neighbourhood!

There are so many people who are excited about this project who are losing interest, and/or looking at other nearby projects while this is held up.

C'mon, Hamilton! Why does everything have to be a fight?

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 7:47 PM
Urban Fanactic

What the hell is wrong with this city of Hamilton with a half a million people thinking a seven or even a five floor building is too big.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton