HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
such bs. How many of you got a 8.8% raise last year? Mine has been half of inflation for 4 years running now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
What's also sad is that we're on the lower side of property taxes too. Some other cities are projecting double digit increases as well.

The latest jump got the LTC some, but not all of their requested funding, and the Libraries got a chunk to keep operating at roughly status quo.

These big jumps just tell you how chronically underfunded stuff was in the past... we're paying the price now. Example- remember Joe Fontana's tax freezes? Ya we are feeling that.
Bear in mind that using the consumer price index as a comparative tool can be misleading in this regard. Municipalities don't buy much carrots or children's clothing for example. More informative indicators are the Municipal Price Index (MPI) - which is a more reflective of the cost of what and how much goods and services municipalities purchase, and the building construction price index (BCPI) - which is more reflective of much of the more expensive Capital purchases that a municipality makes. My understanding that the MPI for 2023 is between 4% and 6% for most municipalities, and in the third quarter of 2023 the non-residential building construction price index was 6%. A key point is that's 6% of very expensive things, so when the cost of a $25 million bridge goes up by 6%, that's a lot of money. The City's inside staff will get a 3% salary raise in 2024, which will probably be the average CPI for the year.

Haljackey makes a very good point: the tax freezes made by (borderline incompetent) city councils of past years have come home to roost. Couple that with rapid population and physical growth, and there is a recipe for trouble... and here it is.

M.E.: Your point of not receiving an 8.8% pay raise is certainly valid. I'm sure almost nobody received that sort of pay raise. However, if municipal taxes were to rise only in line with the consumer price index (which is what tax payers have to set their household budgets to), then at some point it's almost certain that the municipality will have to reduce services - as that cost to provide those services will very frequently be higher than the CPI and out of control of the municipality.

In the future, it will come down to increasingly more difficult discussions of where the communities' priorities lie, and what to say no to. The debates will get more passionate, and more frequently coloured by political leanings in terms of social policy, and just how much of a role should municipalities play in society.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The police always get their asks.
Police and Fire unions across the continent have certainly leveraged 9-11 to their advantage over the last 20+ years. Maybe with the police, there needs to be a "lower tier" of cop. Have a dedicated "highway patrol" that's in charge of enforcing traffic laws and paid at a lower level than the police doing actual criminal work (the stuff people actually want the police doing). Obviously I'm just grabbing an idea out of the air without a lot of thought, but it seems to me there could be different "levels" of policing.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 1:11 AM
Sanity merchant

I work in the public sector. I was told to shut the fuck up and be happy I have a job vs. getting any pay increase. Even through arbitration, we're getting fucked. It's tough for everyone, and these giant tax increases across the board are courtesy of our previous councils and mayors

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 8:38 PM

Ontario Housing tracker report for 2023 website released.

London did not meet the target and will not receive any of the provincial funding.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/tracking...upply-progress

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
I work in the public sector. I was told to shut the fuck up and be happy I have a job vs. getting any pay increase. Even through arbitration, we're getting fucked. It's tough for everyone, and these giant tax increases across the board are courtesy of our previous councils and mayors
I (sort of) work in the public sector (University). My salary increases have been half or less of inflation for the past 4 years. We only got 1.25% last year (inflation was something like 8%, and felt like 28% with interest rate rises and the explosive increase in the price of Groceries (thanks, Galen!!), on account of Ford's (illegal) collective bargaining limit of 1.25%

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:20 PM

MolsonExport........you mentioned that Western was suppose to announce this month a large investment in downtown London. What's going on with that?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 1:25 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
MolsonExport........you mentioned that Western was suppose to announce this month a large investment in downtown London. What's going on with that?
Yeah...well we have not yet seen the full budget details (the budgets are being prepared now by the Deans, and the Provost controls the purse strings, so we should have news within a month or so). The governments freezing/cutting of international students will have financial ramifications for us as well as every other university and college, and this may mean that some projects are put on hold. We also are currently digesting the unanticipated absorption of Brescia University College, which is costing many millions of dollars.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 9:53 PM

Council approves the purchase of the former Fairmount Public School property for ~$5.9M.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/city-of-lo...hool-1.6797547

Look forward to see what gets proposed for this site in the not too distant future.

Last edited by jammer139; Mar 7, 2024 at 1:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 6:02 PM

LFP article on City purchase of old Fairmount Public School and other past purchases of school properties.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...ped-properties

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 10:33 PM

Looks like Middlesex County Council has finally made a decision where and what to build in terms of a new County Administration Building. Apparently they have decided to build their new HQ on lands on Adelaide St South beside the London Middlesex County EMS headquarters.

https://www.middlesex.ca/news/middle...-march-26-2024

https://pub-middlesexcounty.escribem...cumentId=11243

CTV article - https://london.ctvnews.ca/new-home-p...ncil-1.6830053

Last edited by jammer139; Apr 2, 2024 at 12:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:48 PM

Interesting .... thanks for the update.

I believe that when this discussion was first happening a few years ago, they had originally envisioned the new admin building to be located out in the county (where they actually have jurisdiction), rather than within the City of London boundaries.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:15 PM

City looking at increasing building heights.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-height-limits

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 2:10 PM

LFP article on proposals to speed up the bureaucracy of home building.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-home-building

Old Posted Today, 6:17 PM

This agreement should start some debate on whether St. Thomas should be annexing the old St Thomas Psychiatric hospital and surrounding lands. expanding the borders of the city of St. Thomas might be a smarter way to go for the population there. I would also consider Talbotville and realignment within the entire County of Elgin. Unlikely to happen soon but eventually some form of restructuring of the County and the City of St. Thomas will be needed. Does this happen 10,20,30 years from now?

https://london.ctvnews.ca/80-million...lant-1.6854230

Central Elgin map: https://www.centralelgin.org/en/livi...lgin/maps.aspx

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy