HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:11 PM

Here’s a look at how Californians will pay $5 billion a year for new roads

Quote:
By KURT SNIBBE |
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2017 at 12:41 pm | UPDATED: April 20, 2017 at 3:06 am

California taxes have raised at least $10 billion a year since 2010 for the Department of Transportation and will add $5 billion a year more in taxes and fees beginning in November.

California’s infrastructure, particularly its roads, has been ranked as some of the worst in the nation for many years (I disagree--living part-time in both AZ and CA, I know Arizona's are worse). Californians pay more in fees to maintain their roads than do residents of other states, and soon will have to pay even more. On April 6, the state Legislature passed Gov. Jerry Brown’s Road Recovery and Accountability Act, which increases several taxes and fees to raise more than $50 billion over 10 years.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/1...r-new-roads-2/

I also don't understand the bridges ranking although the state has a lot of bridges. The ones in the Bay Area are nearly all toll bridges and the tolls pay for constant and thorough maintenance. Not only that, but the oldest ones, including the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge, which suffered from outdated designs from an era when we simply didn't know as much about siesmic design, have been replaced.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:10 AM

I wonder if the bridges category could be used for HSR/regional rail bridges. Dumbarton rail anybody?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 7:12 AM

Dumbarton Rail would be much needed, I think

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 10:41 PM

Hopefully the bulk majority of this money will go towards reconstructing freeways and state highways as well as adding much needed capacity to reduce congestion. Will be a damn shame if a single penny of this goes towards the HSR which will likely see a sizable amount from the looks of it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:15 AM
Never Dell

So more sprawl is your answer?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:42 AM

Hopefully the bulk majority of this money will go towards transit and high speed rail as adding much needed routes to provide an alternative to congestion. Will be a damn shame if a single penny of this goes towards highways, which will likely see a sizable amount from the looks of it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 3:13 AM
I enjoy discussing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Hopefully the bulk majority of this money will go towards reconstructing freeways and state highways as well as adding much needed capacity to reduce congestion.
Considering the massive existing maintenance backlog of our current state highways, that would't exactly be a "fiscally prudent" thing to add to.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
Hopefully the bulk majority of this money will go towards transit and high speed rail as adding much needed routes to provide an alternative to congestion. Will be a damn shame if a single penny of this goes towards highways, which will likely see a sizable amount from the looks of it.
So taxing cars and drivers through gasoline and registration fees and then siphoning 100% of that money to public transit i.e. bilking drivers who will pay for everything yet see none of the benefits is your brilliant solution?

Because here is the state of public transit in ghetto-ized third world California:

BART Takeover Robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders

I'll stick to driving, Uber, and Lyft, than put up with being forced into confined spaces with the human moral decay that is becoming of this once great state.

Better freeways AND armed police that mean business on all public transit.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:53 AM
Never Dell

How many people died in car accidents in the Bay Area on the same day? The BART incident was an extreme event but even then nobody died. But which one do you fear so much it dominates your life choices...?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:51 PM

As it is the new federal transportation bill is going to get a boatload of money for roads and highways with probably NOTHING for mass transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Nope, but maybe existing funds from other sources that were originally allocated to road projects could then be diverted to mass transit projects.
___

EDIT: never mind I thought you were talking to Californians in general.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
So taxing cars and drivers through gasoline and registration fees and then siour phoning 100% of that money to public transit i.e. bilking drivers who will pay for everything yet see none of the benefits is your brilliant solution?
Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with money going to repairs. However, spending money on new highways benefits nobody--current drivers included. Its best for our cities, our commuters, our economy, and our environment to give existing drivers an alternative to driving, which most would prefer, rather than pour money into highways which don't ease commutes and have a lot of other negative impacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Because here is the state of public transit in ghetto-ized third world California:

BART Takeover Robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders

I'll stick to driving, Uber, and Lyft, than put up with being forced into confined spaces with the human moral decay that is becoming of this once great state.

Better freeways AND armed police that mean business on all public transit.
Oooh...scary. One isolated incident means that this better-than-ever state is experiencing moral decay and decline. If you're so worried about safety, then you shouldn't be in a car.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
High Speed Rail, will cause more sprawl than any highway project. It will turn most of the central valley into a bedroom community of the Bay Area (and a lesser extent LA, if and when it ever reaches LA).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation