HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Old City Hall was on the site of the current Hamilton City Centre.
Before the City Centre and after Old City Hall the old Eatons store built an extension on the site.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 9:20 AM

Alot has changed over the years in downtown Hamilton, quite sad.... I can remember going to the Century,Odeon and Tivoli too see movies, the arcades on King, Woolworths 'loved the myna bird' and Kresges...Robinsons department store and of course Eatons the Original Eatons! the underground washrooms in Gore park..the McD's at the corner of John and King which relocated to Jackson Square..I also remember going into the Running Pump 'during the day of course'..lol with my stepdad for a burger and fries..lol! lots of memories!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 5:19 PM

Yepper ... all of the above 'Ironwarrior' .. my mother worked at Woolworths for years .. she was working there when it burned in the late 40's(?) . I still have the impression of the teeth from the escalator in my left knee ... I fell running up the down stairs ... I was about ten.

By the way .. the washrooms are still under Gore Park. They simply bricked up the doors and back filled it.

That vision of downtown, I am afraid, is simply that, a vision, and those of us lucky enough to have lived it ... well .. we were lucky .. a few generations have passed and priorities have been altered .. but that's evolution ...eh?

I spent this morning looking around downtown and on Locke Street for some 'eclair shells' .. the type that Max Mintz used to make his famous 'Chilled Chocolate Eclairs' at the Chicken Roost ( 1986 she closed..). The wife and I have been talking about them for a few weeks now ... shells, split down the middle, filled with vanilla ice cream and covered with hot chocolate syrup. I have been searching for them every Saturday, in futility I must say, after my weekly Farmer's Market run.

Ever since I started reading this forum ... I see what's left of 'old downtown' in a different light .... and as Martha say's .."That's a good thing!"

Mack

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 6:58 PM
Closed account

Hey Mack...I'm curious - what's your opinion on James North and Locke Street here in 2008?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 5:11 AM
On Guard For Thee

I think lament is fair. I lament for the downtown I remember from the 80s--a downtown those of generations before me assure was already well into its decline. Of course I'm not going negative--not at all--downtown can and will enjoy a renaissance--but fair to say it will be something other than it was before.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
I think lament is fair. I lament for the downtown I remember from the 80s--a downtown those of generations before me assure was already well into its decline. Of course I'm not going negative--not at all--downtown can and will enjoy a renaissance--but fair to say it will be something other than it was before.
Hopefully its on the upswing! I sure do miss those places from when I was a kid, I took a walk around downtown today and was near Leathers on King and out of curiosity went and checked out the old Century, what a sad site!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 12:58 PM

Hey Mack, try out Maxim's deli at 202 King St East.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues