HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Darn, my BC knowledge outside of Metro Vancouver sucks. I scored 53% (no googling done). How do you fair? No cheating!

QUIZ: B.C. has 51 cities. How much do you know about them?
I got 87%

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 3:36 AM

Am I the only one annoyed by the constant anti-Trudeau ads on television and radio? They have been playing those for at least 6 months by now. Do we get bombarded with those only here in BC or do they have them also elsewhere in Canada?

All that those ads have achieved has been convinving me that the Concevatives seem to be VERY afraid of Trudeau and the Liberals. He might be the opposition leader but he's not even the only opponent. I have never heard hate ads targeted at other polical leaders. Why's that?

Generally speaking I am very disappointed how political parties in Canada have lowered themselves to the similar low standards that dominate American political discussion. In the US there is no intelligent political discussion anymore and we are not doing much better in here. Has it always been like this? I am too new to this country to know if this is a recent trend but it saddens me.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 3:57 AM

Canada is following the US, but we are nowhere near them. Donald f-ing Trump is leading the Republican primary and he's spouting absolute nonsense on a daily basis.

I'm not a big fan of attack ads, and the conservative ones seem particularly desperate. All about "fear of the unknown".

I'm not really a federal NDP supporter, but this ad worked on me:

Video Link

The Conservatives have been in power for a while now, and have plenty of dirty laundry that could be aired.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 4:10 AM

The Concervative campaign seems to completely rely on the "we balanced the budget and the Liberals would never be able to do that" argument. However the recent drop in oil prices seems to be revealing that the balancing has completely been thanks to the high oil prices in the past. So a complete one-trick pony that is no merit and putting all eggs in one basket has only made Canada more dependent on one single industry (which is even a sunset industry).

I hope Canadians could see through this BS this autumn.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 4:13 AM
Reason and Freedom

One of the most desperate "fear of the unknown" campaigns in Canadian history was famously launched by the Liberal Party of Canada, which had then been in power for 13 years, during the 2004 and 2006 federal elections against a then relatively unknown Stephen Harper. They literally relied on emotional fear:

Video Link

Video Link

We have since gotten so used to all those soldiers in our cities with guns, we don't even notice them anymore.

Last edited by Prometheus; Jul 23, 2015 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one annoyed by the constant anti-Trudeau ads on television and radio? They have been playing those for at least 6 months by now. Do we get bombarded with those only here in BC or do they have them also elsewhere in Canada?

All that those ads have achieved has been convinving me that the Concevatives seem to be VERY afraid of Trudeau and the Liberals. He might be the opposition leader but he's not even the only opponent. I have never heard hate ads targeted at other polical leaders. Why's that?

Generally speaking I am very disappointed how political parties in Canada have lowered themselves to the similar low standards that dominate American political discussion. In the US there is no intelligent political discussion anymore and we are not doing much better in here. Has it always been like this? I am too new to this country to know if this is a recent trend but it saddens me.

Thomas Joseph "Tom" Mulcair PC MP is the leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada, as well as the Leader of the Official Opposition in Canada.-wikipedia-

Trudeau might become the opposition leader.

Negative ads can work, to a degree. But sometimes they can backfire big time. I'm sure we all remember the 1993 campaign ad by the Progressive Conservatives that mocked Jean Chretien's face.

1993 campaign ad.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 4:59 AM

Quote:
The Concervative campaign seems to completely rely on the "we balanced the budget and the Liberals would never be able to do that" argument. However the recent drop in oil prices seems to be revealing that the balancing has completely been thanks to the high oil prices in the past. So a complete one-trick pony that is no merit and putting all eggs in one basket has only made Canada more dependent on one single industry (which is even a sunset industry).

I hope Canadians could see through this BS this autumn.

Well, typical with Conservative advertising (political advertising in general, but much more so with the CPC) they just make statements to create a narrative no matter how off the facts are:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/multimedia/ca...2015-1.3042571

The history of balanced budgets and budget surpluses in Canada belongs to the Liberals (although neither party has an overwhelming record of balancing budgets). The Conservatives have balanced what, 2 budgets since 1963? Both under Harper immediately upon coming to power, and thus both inherited from the Martin government (06/07). Tough to believe that they are the party of balanced budgets.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 3:28 PM

There are three types of ads in my view:

1. Promotional for your party
2. Pointing out the facts of what the other party has done wrong (NDP ad I posted)
3. Taking quotes way out of context and making things up. (soldiers in our streets, comparing Liberals with ISIS, etc.)

The first two are ok. The third are a joke.

The Conservatives have more money in the bank than all of the other parties combined. This could be a ridiculous ad campaign we are about to see.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Well, typical with Conservative advertising (political advertising in general, but much more so with the CPC) they just make statements to create a narrative no matter how off the facts are:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/multimedia/ca...2015-1.3042571

The history of balanced budgets and budget surpluses in Canada belongs to the Liberals (although neither party has an overwhelming record of balancing budgets). The Conservatives have balanced what, 2 budgets since 1963? Both under Harper immediately upon coming to power, and thus both inherited from the Martin government (06/07). Tough to believe that they are the party of balanced budgets.
And don't forget it was the Chretien Liberal government that resisted being dragged into Bush's Iraq war, thus sparing this country from the economic crisis experienced by the Yanks. The Conservatives took over at the right moment when all was well and dandy, had they been elected to office one or two terms before that, this country would've been in the doldrums, to say the least.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Canada is following the US, but we are nowhere near them. I'm not really a federal NDP supporter, but this ad worked on me.
What I don't like is the direction. I don't want Canada to become like the US in any ways. They are our neighbour and most important commercial partner but we should distance ourselves from their ways of thinking.

That's a pretty good ad and not really a hate ad. Just reminding people what shady business has taken place during their reign. The last bit about the Ethics Supervisior going to jail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Thomas Joseph "Tom" Mulcair PC MP is the leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada, as well as the Leader of the Official Opposition in Canada.-wikipedia-

Trudeau might become the opposition leader.
Ah, thanks for correcting me. Still getting to know Canadian politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I know! It is easy to continue a trend that has been started by the previous people in power. No real skill required there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
And don't forget it was the Chretien Liberal government that resisted being dragged into Bush's Iraq war, thus sparing this country from the economic crisis experienced by the Yanks.
And thank God for that! Even Americans are finally starting to see that their trip to Iraq was based on lies and only de-stabilized that area more than previously. On top of that it cost them few trillion dollars.

Canada dodged that bullet but UK went in full speed thanks to Tony Blair.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
What I don't like is the direction. I don't want Canada to become like the US in any ways. They are our neighbour and most important commercial partner but we should distance ourselves from their ways of thinking.

That's a pretty good ad and not really a hate ad. Just reminding people what shady business has taken place during their reign. The last bit about the Ethics Supervisior going to jail...
Well, as much as we'd like to think differently, the average voter in Canada is hardly any smarter than the average US voter. So we are getting the government we deserve in that sense.

I read this morning that Harper is back on top of the polls thanks to the cash giveaway to families. Despite all the reports that the tax break they are cancelling means all of that extra money will go right back to them in April 2016 at tax time. Of course they'll already be re-elected by then (in their minds).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:12 PM

Quote:
And thank God for that! Even Americans are finally starting to see that their trip to Iraq was based on lies and only de-stabilized that area more than previously. On top of that it cost them few trillion dollars.

Canada dodged that bullet but UK went in full speed thanks to Tony Blair.
Yup! Funny how George Bush and his ilk tried punishing Canada for not joining the Iraqi coalition: They stopped the imports of Canadian beef and softwood lumber! Of course, they also tried "punishing" the French by calling their french fries "freedom fries".

In the end, karma prevailed, and with the boondoggle they created in Iraq, with insurgents blowing up every oil pipeline they could find, the U.S. had to look for alternative oil, which Alberta and Canada benefitted.

And now we have Harper, but then the U.S. is at a better state with Obama. What a turnaround....

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:36 PM

What I really dislike about the current Canadian government:

- Americazation of Canadian society through privatization, militarization, reducing social security network and cutting funding on CBC.
- Complete lack of any environmental responsibility. Economics triumph environmental issues any day. We are still in denial about climate change and we put all our eggs in a sunset industry like oil.
- Trying to scare us with terrorism nonsense. If we just stay out of those dirty US wars there is nobody hating Canada in the world. That "Ottawa attack" was just a individual domestic crazy bin - there are always few bad apples. I also hate us being part of NSA network.
- We are letting wealthy foreign people hide their illegally acquired wealth in our country.

I realize that also other political parties share some similar agendas, but the Conservatives are pressing all these agendas really hard and it is changing Canada more and more towards the US. Something that I really don't like.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 11:10 PM

there was an article out maybe last week where someone with the UN I think it was said the Canada of today is not the Canada he knew 10 years ago. I wish i could find the link.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 12:12 AM

An older couple (a surgeon and a lawyer) that I know and emigrated to Canada 41 years ago were also telling me the same. They have also been sad to see Canada changing away from the values it used to promote in the recent years.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 11:12 PM

People can be so stupid. Smoking on balcony is prohibited in our building, yet our neighbour above daily smokes there. It is so nice to have the smoke come inside every time and we have to close balcony door and windows. It is especially nice on a hot summer like this one when you have to keep everything open to cool your place.

We complained to concierge but they told us that "it could be anyone, as smoke travels". Well, we are 100% sure that smoking is taking place directly above us, as we can hear them but not see them.

To settle this for good I took use of my camera and once I smelled smoke today, I quickly went to the street and took a zoomed photo of the smoker above us smoking on balcony. BUSTED! I even clearly numbered the floor and suite he is in and encircled the cigarettes in his hand on the photo.

Let's see if the concierge can now get something done as this is ridiculous.

I guess it could be worse. The other day there was a sign in the elevator reminding people not to have their pets urinate on balconies. Some neighbours below have been having nasty surprises.

Don't people today have any clue how to behave??

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 11:58 PM

Without trying to sound like a dimestore philosopher, I think "civisme" (public spirit, is decaying worldwide. Japanese school students, once known for polite and disciplined behaviour, are now attacking not only each other, but teachers as well.
In Europe (France, anyway) violent and crude behaviour is everywhere, on any level you wish to name.
Stephen Harper seems to have made George Bush his role model, and the current mentality is, it seems "everyone for himself" with little perception of sharing or reaching out. If you lose, it's your fault (recall Donald Trump's remark about John McCain - disgusting) ...... the list is almost endless, but until there's a "turnaround" back to values emphasizing courtesy, and an interest for the common good, you can expect the downward spiral to continue, IMO, only. Luckily there are people out there who care, we just need more of them, esp in government.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 1:44 AM

Klazu have you tried talking to him directly?

Either write him a note or knock on his door.

Twist: Concierge is the smoker, dundundun

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Let's see if the concierge can now get something done as this is ridiculous.
I wouldn't leave it with the concierge, I'd also send a note to the strata council. Then you have a paper trail started and they can impose escalating fines if he doesn't comply.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Klazu have you tried talking to him directly? Either write him a note or knock on his door.
He lives on the floor above and I don't have any access there. Anyways, the head concierge already promised to look into this. It was the first time he heard about it, so apparently the normal concierge clerks had not passed on the message.

I hope the issue gets resolved. Not sure if the person above is also a tenant or owns the unit, not that it should matter considering that the strata is often posting "smoking on balconies is prohibited" signs on elevators.

If nothing happens, I will look into escalating this but I got a good reply from the head concierge and trust him on taking action here. Let's see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion