HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 9:17 PM

Nuburger on Regent will be going in the former Hakim optical location next to Applebee’s.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^I would bet in the new CRU they are building in the property with the Starbucks and Dairyqueen. The new building is going just west of Dairyqueen at the back of the site.
Put Dairy Queen Next To Starbucks

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:42 PM

There is an article about Bouchee Boucher's legal woes here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...suit-1.4595993

Looks like they will not likely reopen in April as hoped.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:34 PM
What could go wrong?

It was cool to see the patio at Browns across from Bell/MTS packed last night for the Jets game. Cool in the sense it looked great....not so cool in the fact that we couldn't get a seat on it. I loved seeing all the people out.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:58 PM

A guy from Thunder Bay is in town for work. He went to Browns after the Jim Jeffries show last week. He was dumfounded there could be 1000's of people just across the street and literally 5 people in Brown's afterwards. I said hey that's Winnipeg man. Run back to the burbs.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:14 PM
What could go wrong?

...wait Jim Jeffries was in town last week? I had no idea. He is super funny.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
A guy from Thunder Bay is in town for work. He went to Browns after the Jim Jeffries show last week. He was dumfounded there could be 1000's of people just across the street and literally 5 people in Brown's afterwards. I said hey that's Winnipeg man. Run back to the burbs.
Wasn't Jim Jefferies at the Playhouse? That might explain why Brown's was empty. I'd imagine it's a different story after Jets games.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:55 PM

Don't think it was Jim Jefferies as his tour page does not show him in Canada in March 2018.

Jeff Dunham was there on March 21 so it could have been that concert

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 9:19 PM

Jeff Dunham. My mistake. The guy with all the puppets. He was at Bell MTS Centre Place Theatre.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 9:32 PM

Well Jeff Dunham isn't funny, meaning anyone that would subject themselves to that drivel doesn't like fun, so that kind of makes sense.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 9:27 PM

The Brown's Social House across from Bell MTS does incredible business before Jets games. If you are not there by 5 p.m. for a 7 p.m. game, chances are you are not getting a table. For Moose games, it is not as busy.

I think families with children are less likely to attend prior to an event. You don't see a lot of kids at Jets games, particularly evening games. The more family oriented the event, the less of a boost to the downtown restaurants. Don't get me wrong, these places are not ghost towns, but noticeably less busy when family oriented events are playing at Bell MTS.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 10:47 PM

Browns has kept their patio open ALL WINTER and made very good use of it. Always have heaters and fire tables on, and actually quite busy on event days even when -30! Hopefully inspires others with permanent patios (like Moxies) to do the same. Hell, maybe there'll be a Winter Patio Permit available for sidewalk ones soon

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:16 PM

Hildegard’s Bakery on Portage & Maryland opened this week - it looks amazing. It’s all wood fired baking and will serve up pizzas starting in a few weeks.

https://instagram.com/p/BhFIQIOg0RO/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
The Brown's Social House across from Bell MTS does incredible business before Jets games. If you are not there by 5 p.m. for a 7 p.m. game, chances are you are not getting a table. For Moose games, it is not as busy.

I think families with children are less likely to attend prior to an event. You don't see a lot of kids at Jets games, particularly evening games. The more family oriented the event, the less of a boost to the downtown restaurants. Don't get me wrong, these places are not ghost towns, but noticeably less busy when family oriented events are playing at Bell MTS.
Moose on average draw a third of what the Jets do, so naturally there would be less people at area restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:18 PM

^ Moose crowds are also markedly smaller this season than compared to the last 2.

How's Moxie's doing on event nights? I have never been there once on a MTS Centre event night as I always assume it's crazy busy in there, but maybe it's not quite as bad now that there are so many more options around there? Has anyone noticed what it's like these days?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Moose crowds are also markedly smaller this season than compared to the last 2.

How's Moxie's doing on event nights? I have never been there once on a MTS Centre event night as I always assume it's crazy busy in there, but maybe it's not quite as bad now that there are so many more options around there? Has anyone noticed what it's like these days?
It is crazy busy before Jets games and any concerts I have attended.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:14 PM

Queseda Burrito is opening on St. Mary, next door to Carbone across from WPS HQ. I believe this is the 1st Winnipeg location, lots in Ontario and out West

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Queseda Burrito is opening on St. Mary, next door to Carbone across from WPS HQ. I believe this is the 1st Winnipeg location, lots in Ontario and out West
Interesting... doesn't really seem like the best location for a quick service spot. But it's good to see chains taking up streetfront space downtown because they will generally do more vetting than indepenents, so it's a good sign for the area.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:09 PM

^ It's a nice option to have... there is a bit of a sweet spot there for the taking downtown in between the sit-down Tex-Mex taco joints and the low-rent Taco Time calibre stuff. This could fill it nicely.

On that note, Bar Burrito is opening soon in the cityplace food court.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Interesting... doesn't really seem like the best location for a quick service spot. But it's good to see chains taking up streetfront space downtown because they will generally do more vetting than indepenents, so it's a good sign for the area.
All those hungry cops???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan