HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
We know it conforms to zoning (via bad zoning) that's why we want to encourage Walgreens to look elsewhere. Parking in a major issue in the area and it is/was to be a 24 hr Walgreens with a liquor license.

New Orleanians kept Starbucks out of Jackson Square via public opinion...we want the same
As a matter or corporate policy Walgreen's does not sell alcohol.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 4:46 AM
-

Ive always thought they dont sell alcohol either, but regardless the zoning allows for it!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 4:53 AM
TL;DR

Walgreens eliminated liquor sales several years ago, but it's now re-integrating liquor into certain stores.

Since everybody and their mother-in-law sells alcohol in this city, it's only natural if Walgreens wants a piece of the action.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

Two new projects on Bidclerk:
1269034 New Orleans, LA Retail 04/26/2011
Description Renovation of a national chain retail store in New Orleans. Working drawings call for the renovation of a 15,000-square-foot retail store and pharmacy, which will include drive-thru facilities. Construction documents are expected to be complete i...Click here for complete Project Details

1295708 New Orleans, LA Elderly Care / Assisted Living 04/26/2011
Description Site work and new construction of an assisted-living development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the construction of a 51,093-square-foot nursing home. Plans include a common area and kitchen. The owner has determined a list o...Click here for complete Project Details
Nothing glamorous I'm afraid.

The first one is Walgreens at 1100 Elysian Fields Ave. (not Magazine)

The second is Lafon Nursing Home at 4021 Cadillac St.

Last edited by Reverend_Cletus; Apr 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 9:01 PM
-

Onto a different topic. Has anyone here been able to find a rendering of the DMV being built on West End Blvd?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Onto a different topic. Has anyone here been able to find a rendering of the DMV being built on West End Blvd?
What DMV? If your talking about the LaDOTD District 02 HQ, it's been open for a year now if I'm not mistaken.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 9:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
What DMV? If your talking about the LaDOTD District 02 HQ, it's been open for a year now if I'm not mistaken.
No its across the street from it. there was a DMV there before Katrina and Im pretty sure there is a replacement one being built there as we speak.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Walgreens eliminated liquor sales several years ago, but it's now re-integrating liquor into certain stores.

Since everybody and their mother-in-law sells alcohol in this city, it's only natural if Walgreens wants a piece of the action.
With all due respect that statement is 100% false.

There has been no action taken by Walgreen's that would indicate it will suddenly begin selling liquor in its stores here in Orleans Parish.

It has not pursued nor will it pursue ABC licenses for current stores or proposed stores in this region.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
No its across the street from it. there was a DMV there before Katrina and Im pretty sure there is a replacement one being built there as we speak.
The DMV (Along with RPC offices) are within the same structure.

It's been open a year.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Ive always thought they dont sell alcohol either, but regardless the zoning allows for it!
Not sure what your point is here.

The zoning also happens to allow for Pinkberry across the street to sell alcohol but it's not what they do as a matter of policy.

Should Pinkberry not have been allowed to open because 10 years down the road it could apply for a liquor license?

I guess I'm not following this.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 12:14 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
With all due respect that statement is 100% false.

There has been no action taken by Walgreen's that would indicate it will suddenly begin selling liquor in its stores here in Orleans Parish.

It has not pursued nor will it pursue ABC licenses for current stores or proposed stores in this region.
Here's a story from a few days ago showing how Walgreens is moving to sell alcohol in its SF Bay-area stores.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/city...s-alcohol-plan

Here's a Walgreens in DC that recently started selling alcohol.

http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media...-3975629.shtml

Here's an article from Indianapolis.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_304237.html

Clearly this is a national, chain-wide trend, so it's entirely possible that the Magazine St Walgreens will sell alcohol now or in the future. Hell, Walgreens even has its own brand of beer now (Big Flats).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Here's a story from a few days ago showing how Walgreens is moving to sell alcohol in its SF Bay-area stores.

Clearly this is a national, chain-wide trend, so it's entirely possible that the Magazine St Walgreens will sell alcohol now or in the future. Hell, Walgreens even has its own brand of beer now (Big Flats).
I don't live in any of those places and we're not talking about a new Walgreens there.

We're talking about the one here on Magazine right?

Hyperbole aside, there has been nothing to indicate that this Walgreens, nor any of the existing Walgreen's, will be pursuing liquor licenses.

As an aside, I'm still not following your line of reasoning here.

Are you saying that because a business MAY at some point in the future APPLY for the license to do something that the business should not be allowed to open?

Why not oppose the license versus the opening of a business? Seems like that is far more reasonable.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:12 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
IAre you saying that because a business MAY at some point in the future APPLY for the license to do something that the business should not be allowed to open?

Why not oppose the license versus the opening of a business? Seems like that is far more reasonable.
I don't oppose anything, and I welcome the arrival of Walgreens to Magazine Street. But I think it's likely that Walgreen's will want to sell alcohol here, either immediately or in the future - which is totally fine by me.

The design of the store is my greatest concern with chain drugstores (parking lots facing onto busy pedestrian streets are a bad idea) but that's not an issue here - an earlier article talked about how the parking was going in the back, and there would be two separate entrances from the rear and from the street.

Frankly, I think the whole concept of liquor licenses is absurd, because plenty of disreputable businesses can game the system while perfectly legitimate businesses get shut out by politics and neighborhood opposition. Hell, the wine bar on Oak Street was facing significant opposition IIRC, although they did manage to get it open. That kind of sh*t distorts the market and supports established sellers, who then have very little incentive to keep their stores clean or respond to customer requests.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:29 AM

The Walgreens in the city already sell beer and wine.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:31 AM
TL;DR

^ Where? I've never noticed any at Claiborne/Carrollton.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 3:30 AM

Quote:

And this isn't new. http://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/ff021210.jsp

Read the print at the bottom.

1 Valid in Walgreens stores on Friday, February 12, 2010 only, during regular store hours. Offer not valid on prescriptions, cigarettes, dairy products, liquor, liquor department items, phone cards, newspapers, magazines, stamps and gift cards or where otherwise limited by law. Also not valid toward Prescription Savings Club membership fee. Limit one use per person per purchase. Coupon must accompany purchase. Coupon must be presented at the photo or cosmetics counter to apply discount.

They started pumping liquor back into stores in 2009 since phasing it out in 1996. It's a welcome relief to pill poppers everywhere who for years now have been inconvenienced with picking up their prescriptions and then having to stop at the local liquor store to buy their chaser.

Last edited by Reverend_Cletus; Apr 28, 2011 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 3:37 AM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 3:42 AM
TL;DR

Wow, that design is much improved over the first version (I didn't see any renderings of the first version, just the drawing set).

I wonder why the northeast corner of the block is undeveloped. Does it have a different owner?

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 28, 2011 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 5:15 AM
-

Quote:
Not sure what your point is here.

The zoning also happens to allow for Pinkberry across the street to sell alcohol but it's not what they do as a matter of policy.

Should Pinkberry not have been allowed to open because 10 years down the road it could apply for a liquor license?

I guess I'm not following this.
Yeah your coming across rude here, all I was saying is that if a store wants to open up that sells alcohol the zoning allows it. I could give two craps whether walgreens sells it or not.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 5:17 AM
-

Quote:
The DMV (Along with RPC offices) are within the same structure.

It's been open a year.
Pre Katrina there was a DMV across the street. Now, as far as I know its a new DMV being built there. I cant find any info on there actually being a DMV in the RPC building you are suggesting its in but will certainly stand corrected if it is. Either way some Parish building is being built across the boulevard and wanted to know if anyone has renderings for it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations