HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
That too, but I was more focusing on comparing the city of LA (3-4 million) to the city of NY (~8 million). If LA annexed cities that should honestly be under its belt anyway (ex. Santa Monica, Hollywood, much of South Central down to Long Beach and its surroundings), it could possibly reach or even exceed NYC’s population.
LA City is already 468 sq miles of land. NYC is 'only' 302 sq miles of land. Yes, some of the urban burbs and cities that surround LA should probably be included in the city limits-- the city boundaries are very funky and weirdly shaped. But one could just as easily make that same argument for NYC, and one could also argue that large portions of LA City have no business being part of the city. The San Fernando Valley, for example, has had multiple separatist movements over the years, as some residents feel that they are ignored by the city, and they are far more suburban than the part of the city on the other side of the mountains.

Also, Hollywood is a neighborhood of LA. Same with East Hollywood. West Hollywood is its own independent city. North Hollywood is another LA neighborhood, but in the Valley. Confusing, I know.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 1:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
And sea level rise won't affect the also-coastal city of Los Angeles?
Not really. Maybe parts of Marina del Rey in about 250 years and that's about it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
no it's not.

i'm afraid you're out to lunch on this one.

and what happens when the great lakes don't freeze in the winter?

more evaporation and lower lake levels.

which is why some models show the great lakes evaporating away with more warming.

gravity. it's what's for dinner

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 5:35 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
LA City is already 468 sq miles of land. NYC is 'only' 302 sq miles of land. Yes, some of the urban burbs and cities that surround LA should probably be included in the city limits-- the city boundaries are very funky and weirdly shaped. But one could just as easily make that same argument for NYC, and one could also argue that large portions of LA City have no business being part of the city. The San Fernando Valley, for example, has had multiple separatist movements over the years, as some residents feel that they are ignored by the city, and they are far more suburban than the part of the city on the other side of the mountains.

Also, Hollywood is a neighborhood of LA. Same with East Hollywood. West Hollywood is its own independent city. North Hollywood is another LA neighborhood, but in the Valley. Confusing, I know.
I was thinking of LA dropping the San Fernando valley and northern mountain areas and grab Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and the rest of the basin down to Long Beach to the port. It would make the city have more of a solid area instead of the random one it has currently. That would mean annexing Compton, South Central, San Pedro, etc, at least the cities, towns, and suburbs that wouldn't mind ( which is unlikely, I know).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I was thinking of LA dropping the San Fernando valley and northern mountain areas and grab Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and the rest of the basin down to Long Beach to the port. It would make the city have more of a solid area instead of the random one it has currently. That would mean annexing Compton, South Central, San Pedro, etc, at least the cities, towns, and suburbs that wouldn't mind ( which is unlikely, I know).
The problem with this idea is that nobody wants to join the city of Los Angeles, especially Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Culver City etc etc etc.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
Chicago is expected to hold on to its third-place ranking with slow growth, followed by Philadelphia and Detroit.
Wow, times have really changed.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I guess you'll get your answer when sea level rise/climate change inevitably ruins the city and LA reigns #1.
This topic pops up in almost every thread. When is this happening? I've been hearing this fearmongering for the last decade.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:02 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
The problem with this idea is that nobody wants to join the city of Los Angeles, especially Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Culver City etc etc etc.
I have already recognized that. But if they did, that alone would make LA’s city population be the highest in the country. The vast majority of the 10 million living in the county probably live in the basin itself.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:08 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
This topic pops up in almost every thread. When is this happening? I've been hearing this fearmongering for the last decade.
Nobody knows. But when it does happen, I hope the city prepares well for it, and they have the power. That’s another reason NYC losing population or being stagnant isn’t so bad. Loads would be lifted from the subway and other infrastructure so that everything could finally be updated to compete with the newer Asian cities. I really think the city suffers as much as it benefits from never sleeping

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
It's not happening...or at least it's not happening like it was 10,000 years ago.

We live in the most stable climatic time ever in the past 25,000 years. With sea level rise at about 2-3 mm per year.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 3:49 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Isn't Ed Koch at least partially responsible for its rehabilitation?
Yes. I would credit Koch with giving New York it's swagger back, and giving it faith in the future.

Quote:
Mayor Giuliani deserves a lot of credit and was given a lot of credit back in the 1990s for the big turn around of NY.

Broken Windows Theory - or basically the complete opposite of what cities are doing now - is one of a few factors in NY's recovery.
The reason you don't see "broken windows" talked about much anymore is that it's been thoroughly discredited, both as a theory and in how it was implemented under Giuliani. It's generally thought now that New York crime fell for macro reasons unrelated to his crime policies, and the broken windows implementation in New York was deeply racist and resulted in gross miscarriages of Justice for the minority groups it targeted. There is some debate about whether minority groups were targeted intentionally as policy or it happened because of inherent bias in individual officers, but the result was pretty objectively negative for minority groups.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The reason you don't see "broken windows" talked about much anymore is that it's been thoroughly discredited, both as a theory and in how it was implemented under Giuliani. It's generally thought now that New York crime fell for macro reasons unrelated to his crime policies, and the broken windows implementation in New York was deeply racist and resulted in gross miscarriages of Justice for the minority groups it targeted. There is some debate about whether minority groups were targeted intentionally as policy or it happened because of inherent bias in individual officers, but the result was pretty objectively negative for minority groups.
This is SJW nonsense.

There have been numerous examples of successful implementation of the Broken Windows Theory. It does work.

Heck, just look what's happening when we refuse to enforce vagrant/vandalism/petty theft/drug laws? You end up with people sh*tting in the streets, shooting up on the corner.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
This is SJW nonsense.

There have been numerous examples of successful implementation of the Broken Windows Theory. It does work.

Heck, just look what's happening when we refuse to enforce vagrant/vandalism/petty theft/drug laws? You end up with people sh*tting in the streets, shooting up on the corner.
Doesn't believe billions of greenhouse gas producing machines are causing a change in the atmosphere. Does believe painting a wall somehow caused crime to drop.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 7:27 PM
Never Dell

One is science and about as close to a "given" as science gets.

The other is social science in a time with lots of other variables. I'd guess that broken window theory is probably a factor but only one of several.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 7:33 PM
BANNED

E] I'll delete this post to not derail the thread, despite iheartthed trolling me.

Last edited by Sun Belt; Oct 20, 2019 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 7:39 PM
Never Dell

The sum total of the world's scientists on one side, this guy on the other.

Gotta wonder why he's so committed to confusing the issue...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The sum total of the world's scientists on one side, this guy on the other.

Gotta wonder why he's so committed to confusing the issue...
E] I'll delete the post to not derail the thread. Try not to make false accusations in the future.

Last edited by Sun Belt; Oct 20, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
E] I'll delete this post to not derail the thread, despite iheartthed trolling me.
Calling someone a social justice warrior is trolling.

This will be my last comment on this particular tangent.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Calling someone a social justice warrior is trolling.

This will be my last comment on this particular tangent.
I didn't call anybody a SJW.

Read.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions