HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:33 PM

Photos of the Kidthink atrium project... or whatever may be going in there. PCL doing the construction... seems like it's legit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm not optimistic about this Kidthink project... something about it just smells funny.
If I were the CRA I'd be looking very closely at a charity occupying newly-renovated Class A space owned/developed by the charity's founders/directors or their relatives...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Photos of the Kidthink atrium project... or whatever may be going in there. PCL doing the construction... seems like it's legit.
I believe this groundfloor space is going to be the new Scotia Bank location... new doors and other alterations to give access from the street, which would have been good timing if the Mayor didn't decide to potentially kill opening Portage and Main.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:06 PM

if Scotiabank opens up anything as nice as that new TD location in the underground, it will be a good addition to the corner no matter what. that TD branch is gorgeous....

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
I believe this groundfloor space is going to be the new Scotia Bank location... new doors and other alterations to give access from the street, which would have been good timing if the Mayor didn't decide to potentially kill opening Portage and Main.
All Bowman really needs to do is use the classic line "circumstances have changed" reason to "justify" opening P & M, if he feels he needs to do that after the election. The presence of a charitable organization that requires more convenient access than via the confusing underground walkways could potentially be that justification. Plus, if re-elected, he has four more years to get the corner opened.

The photos certainly suggest a solid re-development project is underway, and not just an organization floating an idea to see if there is interest in funding it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:12 PM

it would be an amazing branding opportunity if SKIP were to get the corner and put their logo up on there *continues daydreaming...*

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
All Bowman really needs to do is use the classic line "circumstances have changed" reason to "justify" opening P & M, if he feels he needs to do that after the election. The presence of a charitable organization that requires more convenient access than via the confusing underground walkways could potentially be that justification. Plus, if re-elected, he has four more years to get the corner opened.

The photos certainly suggest a solid re-development project is underway, and not just an organization floating an idea to see if there is interest in funding it.
Exactly. If he wins, it'd be a pretty easy argument to say "you elected me TWICE knowing I wanted to do this" – especially if he doesn't want to go for a third term. Even if "yes" loses, if they get 35%+ of the vote, it's really not that bad in my eyes.

I've heard some rumblings from people fairly close to the situation that talks and planning are still quietly happening at city hall. Essentially want to be able to start immediately if the vote is close, or maybe even if it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
it would be an amazing branding opportunity if SKIP were to get the corner and put their logo up on there *continues daydreaming...*
Maybe one of these secret projects is a Skip tower at Harvard's empty lot... [I actually don't know just would be awesome]

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:17 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Exactly. If he wins, it'd be a pretty easy argument to say "you elected me TWICE knowing I wanted to do this" – especially if he doesn't want to go for a third term. Even if "yes" loses, if they get 35%+ of the vote, it's really not that bad in my eyes.

I've heard some rumblings from people fairly close to the situation that talks and planning are still quietly happening at city hall. Essentially want to be able to start immediately if the vote is close, or maybe even if it isn't.

Maybe one of these secret projects is a Skip tower at Harvard's empty lot... [I actually don't know just would be awesome]
What would a company whose product is essentially an app need with an office tower? It sounds like they could fill the Air Canada building or something like that. Maybe the old Canada Post block on Graham.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:10 AM

^ I think it would be awesome for downtown (and the City of Winnipeg) if Skip moved into the Canada Post building. But I find it hard to imagine a hotshot tech company with money in the bank settling for a building lacking any sort of cachet or cool factor.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:16 AM

^^^Never mind the asbestos remediation.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^^^Never mind the asbestos remediation.
That would be on the city as the property owner to do if any tenant moves into 266 Graham.

If its being used as fireproofing material then after the asbestos is stripped a new type of fireproofing coating would have to be applied so there is an additional cost.

If its just pipe insulation for the hot water heating it may be able to be encapsulated instead of removed and replaced with fiberglass.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:20 AM
the first stamp is free

The asbestos remediation is a cost on the books regardless of the fate of this building.

If it gets reno'd, it gets abated.

It it gets demo's it gets abated.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:41 AM

Cams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Live cams are up by Les.net, follow the links

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:33 PM

Looks like there's a tenant lined up for the ground floor space at the corner of Main and Graham. A relocation from elsewhere downtown that should bring a lot of foot traffic.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:39 PM

Is it Moxies? I had heard rumours TN wanted to do something else with that space.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Looks like there's a tenant lined up for the ground floor space at the corner of Main and Graham. A relocation from elsewhere downtown that should bring a lot of foot traffic.
sounds like nonsense i bet mts center has lease agreement with mts center thats a prime location to

i think cactus club needs to open there

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Is it Moxies? I had heard rumours TN wanted to do something else with that space.
It's the new Skip the Dishes head office.... (Nope)

You're not far off. It's going to really throw a wrench in the old "you need free accessory parking to have a successful business downtown" narrative.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:10 PM
Ignore these four words.

Earl's?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:32 PM

^ Or could it be The Keg?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:45 PM

By the Riddlers clues there, its gotta be Earls. They obviously wanted to re-do their space but were their plans were shot down. Maybe they'd be more willing to go parking lot free in that area of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan