HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 10:06 PM

Question The evolution of stores and the different built pattern

I'm very interested in the evolution of stores to what we have now and the different built environment of cities low ,medium or high density of urban look and feel.

I have read some books and this is what I understand so far.

Here are some google street view pictures that may explain it better.

In the old days before 1920 people would live above the store and the store would be at the street .

But in the 20's and 30's do to automobile ownership it became the norm for most cities to have one story -store front like this

This was big in US very much so in the sun belt cities of that time.This was not case in Canada for some reason I will say below.

But than I believe has ownership was more popular in the 40's and 50's it was norm to move way from the classic store front with use of the ribbon system or so called commercial strip. A strip along the road with small parking choped up into very small lots like this

These commercial strip was alot like the main street or market street most cities would have .

It was a bad for finding parking some times do to parking lots where very small and one would have to park some times behind the store or the side of the store .

This was big thing in US .This was not case in Canada for some reason I will say below.

But by the 60's so called middle class and most people own car and house that city planners started to embrace suburban look and feel.

The 60's with plazas and malls the road side strip was not so big also the road side strip of 60's and 70's the building was pulled back from the road and bigger parking lot and more car centric feel.

The 60's and 70's road side strip the building was pulled back from the road and bigger parking lot and more car centric feel

Than in 60's do to hardly anyone walking it was norm to move way from urban built pattern to embrace the suburb look and feel the use of plazas ,lots of parking !! Before the mid 90's before box stores and power centers took off.

This was not case in Canada for some reason I will say below.

From what I understand Canada evolution of stores and the different built pattern where very different.

Canada was strong on mix use where people live above the store and much higher density and transit oriented to 60's before malls took of!!

Than the late 90's box stores and power centers.

There was some of these commercial strip in the 40's and 50's and bit in 60's in Canada but was not big like the US .

In the west coast of Canada there are some of the one story store front but nothing like the sun belt cities in the US.

I think do to Canada did not have the Euclidean zoning of the 20's like the US had was one of the reasons Canada was strong on mix use where people live above the store and much higher density and transit oriented to 60's before suburbs took hold .

Note I was going talk about Vancouver but I have not gone around yet for taking google street view pictures of Vancouver .

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions