HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 11:12 AM

School and balance of current needs

I was listening to Bill Kelly the other day and they were discussing school closing and our kids having to bus within the changing city.
I thought about the issue and then how we got there.
There are many considerations when buying a home. I have had to compromise my wants with the needs of my kids education and the school they would attend. Your location may meet the needs for the primary school but will change for secondary school.
So I wonder if you buy a house in Summit park and expect a new school to be built. What about the schools already bought and paid for?
There seemed to be an outcry that our teenagers may have to "bus it", After I took the GoTrain to Toronto and met a guy that lives in St Catharines and works construction in Toronto. To bus it, is good training for the real world.
With the number of students decreasing, there will be some hard decisions made and these will be unpopular with those affected adversely.
Staffing is about 85% of costs so to consolidate is fiscal and necessary. To build a school is not cheap and will that school reflect the needs of the community in 30 yrs?
We have to stop urban sprawl and rebuild within our presnt boundaries.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 2:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Sad to see Sherwood go. I went to Sherwood.

But I'd imagine the School Board will cash out from residential development since there's a lot of nice big houses around the area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion