HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:25 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
only ... to post youtube vids... you do this...

[ youtube]8n9vtpsenaw[/youtube]

[ youtube]evbm5Hlo-_M[/youtube]

the bit you put between the tags is whats after the = at the end of the url
and btw the model vid is posted at the top of the page...
Thanks, that was bugging the hell out of me.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 9:00 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Thanks, that was bugging the hell out of me.
lol yea took me a while to figure out the tags needed to do that since theres no button

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 7:11 AM
visionary

This is all great news.

Although I wish we would start building a quick efficient rapid transit system like a skytrain from the airport to all the to downtown. Lets bring tourist to the heart of downtown. A direct link from there hotel to a quick exit to the airport. Yes I did say sky train because that is the only fastest mode of transit. LRT, BRT won't cut it because its basically going as fast as the traffic lights will allow them besides they don't go much faster when you have to share roadways with other vehicles.

Just imagine how much tourist dollars could be poured into downtown. Like do we really need to make the airport into a mall. The answer is no.

I would also want the city to pass a by-law that states no more hotels should be outside of downtown, there are enough hotels near the hotel already. THerefore obviously it would create a climate to build more hotels downtown in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Airport hotel plan taking off?
Lakeview says $28-million deal could be sealed by month's end
Wed Dec 19 2007
By Murray McNeill

LAKEVIEW Management Inc. is close to striking a deal to construct a new 100-room luxury hotel at Winnipeg's James Armstrong Richardson International Airport and is also negotiating to build a six-storey office building next door.

Lakeview Chief Executive Officer Jack Levit said he is in talks with Winnipeg Airports Authority officials on both proposals, and hopes to seal an agreement by the end of this month.

However, a WAA spokesperson refused to confirm Tuesday that a deal is close.

"We're open for business," Christine Alongi said. "But we're in negotiations with lots of people about lots of things. Until we're in a position to announce something... we don't tend to chat about it."

Levit said Lakeview is planning a $20-million, seven-storey hotel directly across from the new terminal building under construction and slated to open in early 2010. It is also proposing a new $8-million, 50,000-square-foot office building to bridge the gap between the new hotel and Lakeview's existing airport hotel, The Four Points Sheraton Winnipeg.

He said the office building would have banquet and meeting rooms on the main floor and offices on the five upper floors.

If Lakeview's proposal is accepted, all three buildings would be connected at the ground-floor level.

The new airport hotel and office building are among three new projects Lakeview aims to get underway in 2008. The other is a previously announced 11-storey, 110-room all-suites hotel on St. Mary Avenue just west of the Winnipeg Convention Centre.

Levit said Lakeview hopes to start building the two hotels this April or May. Work on the office building -- if approved -- likely wouldn't start until next fall, but the plan would be to complete all three projects around the same time -- late 2009 or early 2010.

The $18-million downtown hotel would be connected via second-floor walkways to both the Convention Centre and the office building at 400 St. Mary.

Levit said a second hotel is needed at the airport because The Four Points Sheraton is usually full four days of the week and is turning customers away.

"The demand right now is for about 200 rooms," he said, and the Four Points Sheraton has 132.

Levit said Lakeview originally planned to do a $10-million expansion and upgrade of the existing hotel, which is about 122 metres away from the site of the new terminal building. But when the land across from the new terminal became available, it decided to try building a second hotel instead.

"We feel we should be right across from the terminal and people can make their choice of either hotel."

The new hotel would be a luxury hotel to differentiate it from the Four Points Sheraton. Levit said while it wouldn't qualify as a five-star hotel -- it would need to have at least 200 rooms to do that -- it would have all the trappings of a five-star facility.

The president of the Manitoba Hotel Association said having a second hotel at the airport makes sense for Winnipeg because there is a growing demand for hotel rooms near the airport. Winnipeg's overall hotel-occupancy rate has been edging upward over the last seven years despite the addition of about 1,000 new rooms.

"I wouldn't want to characterize it as a boom," Jim Baker said. "It's more a slow and steady growth. It's the Manitoba way."

While Levit is convinced there's also a need for an airport office building, one local commercial real estate agent isn't so sure.

Wayne Johnson, of Royal LePage Dynamic Real Estate Services, said the vacancy rate at another office building near the airport -- the Airport Executive Centre at 1780 Wellington Ave. -- has been climbing over the past year and now sits at just under 33 per cent.

Although that building was built in the late 1980s, "it is a good comparison," Johnson said.

"Two years is lots of lead time (to find tenants)," he said. "But I think there will be difficulties finding enough tenants."

The big three
Here are some details of the three new commercial projects Winnipeg-based
Lakeview Management Inc. hopes to launch in 2008:

New airport hotel
Proposed location: Directly across from the new airport terminal building now under construction
Size: Seven storeys, about 100 rooms
Type of hotel: Luxury
Projected cost: $20 million
Projected start of construction: April or May, 2008
Projected completion: Late 2009 or early 2010

New airport office building
Proposed location: Adjacent to new airport hotel
Size: Six storeys and about 50,000 square feet
Projected cost: About $8 million
Projected start of construction: Fall 2008

New downtown hotel
Location: South side of St. Mary Avenue, immediately west of Winnipeg Convention Centre
Size: 11-storeys, 110 rooms
Projected cost: $18 million
Projected start of construction: April or May, 2008
-- Source: Lakeview Management Inc.

Last edited by viperred88; Dec 24, 2007 at 8:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 7:41 AM
visionary

and oh yes I really hope that one day the aviation museum would move downtown like perhaps the exchange or better yet right by the manitoba museum of man and nature. A great way to compliment our existing manitoba museum. I would surely be easier for an out of towner to find this museum if it were downtown. I really don't think moving the planes would much more challenging than moving the present airport terminal.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
LRT, BRT won't cut it because its basically going as fast as the traffic lights will allow them besides they don't go much faster when you have to share roadways with other vehicles.
Try out Calgary's or Edmonton's system sometime. You will find that this is not the case, same with BRT in Ottawa.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 7:44 AM

The 15 Mountain bus gets you downtown from the airport really quick. I don't know why more people don't use it. I use it to get to and from the airport, and it is super convenient, whether I am coming from home on North Main street by Chief Peguis, or coming from work at Portage and Main.

As kyle_olsen alludes to, the BRT in Ottawa is on dedicated roadways. If it wasn't, I don't think it'd be called BRT, it'd just be "the bus". I don't see a speed difference between a bus on a dedicated roadway, or a skytrain, except that the bus has the flexibility to go onto the regular road network when need be. (There are other advantages to a skytrain like system though, but I don't necessarily see speed as one of them)

Added: If you look at maps.google.ca and look at the map of Ottawa, you'll see little grey roads all over the place called "transitway". They appear to bypass most major intersections.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 8:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

calgarys lrt is nice and all but without a lrt to the airport its a waste....

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 8:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
The 15 Mountain bus gets you downtown from the airport really quick. I don't know why more people don't use it. I use it to get to and from the airport, and it is super convenient, whether I am coming from home on North Main street by Chief Peguis, or coming from work at Portage and Main.
txs for reminding me about the 15... it pass's right by were i live will probly be using it to get to the airport for my flight to nz in mid january

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 4:52 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
you loco...

C-train is one of the most ridden forms of mass transit per capita and mileage wise in NA. With such a central focus as calgary has in the downtown for employment, C-train is not only needed...but i would go as far as saying it is essential.

While Edmonton's LRT is just now becoming "functional" with the South expansion and planned north expansion, having it serving higher densities in the NE and connection the UofA, downtown, commonwealth, and rexall place is HUGE for Edmonton.

Id love to see the peg get something of the same, but given the super high cost to start it up these days and the relative lack of congestion in the peg...i dont see it anytime soon.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 7:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea well why the hell does it not go to the airport...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 8:06 PM
Community Guy

^believe it or not...you would get more ridership IMO for expanding it for commuters than airport travelers.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 8:40 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
No, it's actually quite efficient. It's their BRT that is complete garbage.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 8:42 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post

As kyle_olsen alludes to, the BRT in Ottawa is on dedicated roadways. If it wasn't, I don't think it'd be called BRT, it'd just be "the bus". I don't see a speed difference between a bus on a dedicated roadway, or a skytrain, except that the bus has the flexibility to go onto the regular road network when need be. (There are other advantages to a skytrain like system though, but I don't necessarily see speed as one of them)

Added: If you look at maps.google.ca and look at the map of Ottawa, you'll see little grey roads all over the place called "transitway". They appear to bypass most major intersections.

Calgary's BRT is a joke. I actually tool the BRT during the summer to a downtown connecting point for the LRT to head out to work. It travelled down Centre St. and was often caught in traffic. No dedicated roadways there. It functionned in the same manner as the regular bus system, and labelling it as a BRT is false advertisement, IMO.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 9:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^believe it or not...you would get more ridership IMO for expanding it for commuters than airport travelers.
GAH i am bitching about the fact that it stops short of the airport :S witch is stupid... yea it serves the city but what about th airport is a major transportation hub...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 3:10 AM

Quote:
GAH i am bitching about the fact that it stops short of the airport :S witch is stupid... yea it serves the city but what about th airport is a major transportation hub...
If the airport generated enough traffic to warrant 6 kilometers of track it might be worth it. Remember, Vancouver's Canada line only goes to the airport because the Airport Authority kicked in $250 million dollars.

If Calgary's airport was willing to put in a similar amount, it would go to the airport.

To be honest, right now Calgary only needs a better bus route from the LRT to the airport.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Calgary's BRT is a joke. I actually tool the BRT during the summer to a downtown connecting point for the LRT to head out to work. It travelled down Centre St. and was often caught in traffic. No dedicated roadways there. It functionned in the same manner as the regular bus system, and labelling it as a BRT is false advertisement, IMO.
The BRT only goes up and down Centre Street to avoid a short turn in downtown, and to eventually justify building an underground LRT up and down Centre street.

BRT in Calgary is only used for route proving for LRT and building ridership preLRT. There is a 30 year history of this, it is not meant to be entirely effective like Ottawa's. It has traffic signal priority and a bus/carpool lane during rush hour.

It is BRT only in its limited amount of stops nature.

I can tell you from the West side where it stops only where the new LRT line is going it it is very effective.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 10:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegPatriot View Post
Oh what the hell...as much as I hate talking about this, I thought i'd share...now that the Four Points is not expanding, rather a separate building will be attached to the new terminal, a guy from Hyatt is coming into town next week to meet with Lakeview. The company is also considering Radisson, but some of us are trying to convince the old geezer Jack Levit that we should flag it with a brand not found in the city...such as a Marriott. I think the old geezer Levit will soon dismiss Hyatt when he finds out how much the franchise fees are.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:51 PM
What could go wrong?

I drove out to the airport today and is it ever looking good. They have the structural steel up for the far west wing of gates. I was presently suprised to see that they have kept with the original design and the "swoop" of the roof line is being constructed. I had heard that for cost saving measures it was going to be built flat. It will truly look spectacular.

They have also started the piling for the elevated departures roadway.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:59 PM
Mooderator

I'm going to be there in a week... can't wait to see it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 10:33 PM
ILYR

A great picture that was posted on the WAA site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan