HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:01 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I love Minni's airport too. It so well laidout and efficient. They also have a very nice bar, and great retail.
There are 12 full service restaurants/bars in that airport. It seems like 1 every 10 gates. Also they are doing a major expansion of the Lindbergh terminal.

Taken from the airport site http://www.mspairport.com/.

"The MSP 2010: Building a Better Airport initiative resulted in major improvements to the Lindbergh Terminal, including 46 new aircraft gates (including 30 gates on two new regional concourses, A and B), automated trams, light rail access, improved wayfinding, additional parking capacity, and expanded shopping and dining opportunities. "

They also have LRT and multiple bus routes directly to the terminal.

Passenger service was 35,157,322 in 2007. Pretty much exactly 10 times Winnipeg (3,565,501) and higher than Pearson in Toronto (31,507,349). To note the passenger service at MSP has declined in recent years and with the proposed Delta/Northwest merger that may change further as MSP is the main Northwest Hub.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:42 PM
ILYR

Solid growth continues at Winnipeg JAR International, an average of 5.57% increase in passenger service over the first three months of the year.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 1:20 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
There are 12 full service restaurants/bars in that airport. It seems like 1 every 10 gates. Also they are doing a major expansion of the Lindbergh terminal.

Taken from the airport site http://www.mspairport.com/.

"The MSP 2010: Building a Better Airport initiative resulted in major improvements to the Lindbergh Terminal, including 46 new aircraft gates (including 30 gates on two new regional concourses, A and B), automated trams, light rail access, improved wayfinding, additional parking capacity, and expanded shopping and dining opportunities. "

They also have LRT and multiple bus routes directly to the terminal.

Passenger service was 35,157,322 in 2007. Pretty much exactly 10 times Winnipeg (3,565,501) and higher than Pearson in Toronto (31,507,349). To note the passenger service at MSP has declined in recent years and with the proposed Delta/Northwest merger that may change further as MSP is the main Northwest Hub.

Yes I am aware that Minneapolis/St.Paul International Airport is one of the busiest airports in the US, with a ton of services. I was only refering to the one bar, because I sent a good couple hours at a really nice bar, waiting for my flight one time.

In my opinion that airport is one of the best laidout terminals I have ever had the pleasure of using. Very nice.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 6:22 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Yes I am aware that Minneapolis/St.Paul International Airport is one of the busiest airports in the US, with a ton of services. I was only refering to the one bar, because I sent a good couple hours at a really nice bar, waiting for my flight one time.

In my opinion that airport is one of the best laidout terminals I have ever had the pleasure of using. Very nice.
I was just adding some more info on the airport related to the discussion.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 7:47 AM
Capitalist

Its really starting to take shape.
Here is a pic taken April 23rd.

source: www.james2010.ca

Also note .. the empty space between the hotel and the new parkade is the supposed site of the new business centre (office building).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 6:22 PM
Movin' on up

Looking at these pics, the new terminal doesn't seem all that "big", but I'll probably appreciate it's size much more once I visit it in person.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 6:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

looking threw that site will be our new welcome sign

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Looking at these pics, the new terminal doesn't seem all that "big", but I'll probably appreciate it's size much more once I visit it in person.
The structure up so far is only the departure lounge. The actual terminal building still has to go up and will be filling the space up to the new parkade. So it'll still be getting much bigger

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 8:17 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
looking threw that site will be our new welcome sign
Look back a couple pages. It's been talked about.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 5:45 PM
ABOVE people like you

Who's JAR to the rest of the world.

I don't like the naming part of the new sign. I think it is a passing fancy marketing mistake to go with a named airport, they think it sounds more worldly. Unless it is a prime minister I would stay away from it. Just think about how many people named airports you know without having to think about it. Just what i thought....none.
Winnipeg International Airport worked and works just fine. It re-enforces the name Winnipeg everytime you say it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:03 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

^I don't know if thats a legit comment, or just being a shit disturber but either way, most airports out there doesn't have to be named after a political figure, and YWG is the best example of that.

If we wanted, we would have settled with Louis Riel International Airport instead, but that would raise more questions (and perhaps controversy) than James Armstrong Richardson ever would...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:17 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-MAN View Post
I don't like the naming part of the new sign. I think it is a passing fancy marketing mistake to go with a named airport, they think it sounds more worldly. Unless it is a prime minister I would stay away from it. Just think about how many people named airports you know without having to think about it. Just what i thought....none.
Winnipeg International Airport worked and works just fine. It re-enforces the name Winnipeg everytime you say it.
JAR was one of the founders of Canadian commercial aviation, so I don't really get your point. He was one of the most significant figures in the history of Canadian aviation. It is nice to see an acknowledgment that the first 150 years of Manitoba history included someone besides Louis Riel.

I'm sure people that aren't that interested will refer to the airport as "Winnipeg Airport" anyway, so what's the difference?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Pearson, JFK, O'Hare. Rattled those off without thinking.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 11:07 PM
ABOVE people like you

Airport Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
Pearson, JFK, O'Hare. Rattled those off without thinking.
Wasn't Pearson a Prime Minister and JFK a President? I said outside of a prime minister ( and president ).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Wasn't Pearson a Prime Minister and JFK a President? I said outside of a prime minister ( and president ).
Okay

Stapleton, Lindbergh Field, Hartsfield, O'Hare, La Guardia...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Why would PMs or Pres' be okay? They are not any more important than many other individuals. They don't deserve to be recognized any more than many other individuals. Yikes! Relax! Call it Winnipeg Airport! I promise I will understand what you mean.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 1:04 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
JAR was one of the founders of Canadian commercial aviation, so I don't really get your point. He was one of the most significant figures in the history of Canadian aviation. It is nice to see an acknowledgment that the first 150 years of Manitoba history included someone besides Louis Riel.

I'm sure people that aren't that interested will refer to the airport as "Winnipeg Airport" anyway, so what's the difference?
the naming of the airport wont effect what people call it's just a reminder of history of western(northwest)aviation and it is nice to see someone else other then riel that is true.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:43 AM
Youth of a Nation

WINNIPEG – April 30, 2008 – Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport continues to experience increases in both passenger and cargo revenues as well as development on the airport campus.

For the three months ended March 31st, approximately 908,000 passengers passed through this community, representing a 5.5% increase over the same period in 2007.

During the first quarter, Winnipeg Airports Authority welcomed both Canada Post and Greyhound Canada as they announced plans to build state-of-the-art facilities at the airport.

“We continue to build on our heritage of transportation excellence by leading local development and growing the entry point for global trade,” said Barry Rempel, President & CEO of Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc. “Airport site redevelopment is contributing to the vision of Winnipeg as a true airport city, addressing not only the needs of travellers but enabling our community to become a transportation, distribution and logistics centre for North America.”

Consolidated revenues were $20.2 million for the first quarter, an increase of 23.6% over the same period in 2007, due primarily to the increases in passenger volume and increase of the Airport Improvement Fee. Cargo revenues increased by 5.6% over the first quarter of 2007. Operating costs were $9.7 million for the quarter, an increase of 15.0% from the previous year.

Earnings before interest, income taxes and amortization (EBITDA) increased to $10.5 million for the three months, an increase of 32.6% over 2007. EBITDA is used generally as a proxy to determine WAA’s ability to service its debt obligations. Net income was $7.3 million for the quarter (2007 - $4.8 million).

source: http://www.waa.ca/?pid=25&newsid=0102

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:14 AM
Youth of a Nation

For those who do not know about Richardson I found this little short clip from james2010.ca site, enjoy.

Video Link

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 8:05 PM
Closed account

Here we go with this debate again.

The Airport Terminal A Heritage Building?
CJOB's Lorne Edwards reporting
5/1/2008

The Heritage Canada Foundation doesn't want to see Winnipeg's current airport destroyed.

Spokesperson Natalie Bull tells CJOB because of the construction of a new terminal, her organization has put the current airport on a list of the 10 most endangered buildings in Canada.

Bull says she's concerned about the lack of Federal leadership. She says it's time the Federal government walked the talk in reducing, reusing and recycling our historic buildings. She says with the construction of a new terminal, the current one is surplus, so it's important Canadians know buildings are not disposable. She says we should be making plans and reusing our buildings when we can.

Bull says the airport is a fantastic example of mid-century modern architecture. She characterizes it as a national landmark from a time when Canada was trying to be seen as a cosmopolitan country, and cultured nation.

The Winnipeg Airport Authority admits the building could be torn down since there was no response to an expression of interest put out to the community by the WAA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan