HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:54 AM

Sushi restaurants in Vancouver

I have some relatives over and they really want to have sushi at least once during their stay....I have a few sushi restaurants in mind, but just wondering if anyone had others. It should be located in either Vancouver, Richmond, or Burnaby.

They especially want to try one with those rotating boats...the only one I can think of is Tsunamis at Robson.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:30 AM

Hmm, lol, I don't really have a suggestion as I'm not the hugest sushi / sashimi fan, just to say Tsunami is really just "OK".

How much chedda you willing to part with? There are some pretty good rather $$$$ places.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:34 AM

lolll...maybe $20-25 per person?

Is there also one with fresh oysters?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 3:31 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I've never seen a sushi restaurant with boats that I would feel comfortable taking relatives if I was trying to impress them. That's not to say I wouldn't go there myself but I know what I'm getting.
Also I think you'll have a hard time find a sushi place that does raw oysters, not sure why but they don't mix, every sushi place I've been to only has the oyster baked in some sauce.
I'd recommend taking them to a sushi place w/o boats/conveyor belts, and then taking them out a second time for proper oysters.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:42 PM

All i know is that Toyama Sushi on Seymour and Robson has sushi and raw oysters on their dinner all you can eat menu. Costs about 25 a person too. But you get what you pay for. I enjoy it. Probably the best all you can eat downtown and cheapest. But ya no rotating things. Not sure what you mean by that.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:49 PM

Those boats were popular probably 10 years ago, not as much anymore. Basically it's a water-based conveyor belt with small plate food which you pick yourself... you're charged based on how many plates you have on your table.

Japanese/sushi restauarants abound... my favourite used to be Sakae on Alberni but it's gone (the ugly McDonalds parking lot building). I heard the chef opened a restaurant on Commercial Dr called LIME. Maybe someone here has been there, but if the chef is there the food is probably very good.

There's a place I've wanted to try downtown called Miku on West Hastings. Looks expensive but innovating and interesting. Apparently the staff were hired in Japan and brought here.

If you want raw oysters, maybe call ahead and ask if they have oysters and if they don't if you can get them to bring some in for that day. I'm sure most good sushi restauarants would have no problem acquiring good fresh oysters if they wanted.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:57 PM

Tojo's would be the obvious but expensive choice. Toshi on 16th and Main is good but always has line-ups. Shiro on Cambie at 15th is good and authentic but not an impressive room. Zipang on Main and 23rd(?) is good. Ajisai in Kerrisdale behind London Drugs is very good, but small. A rule of thumb would be to stick to a place actually run by Japanese.

I'd steer away from the boats - would you eat at Milestone's if the food went round and round before somebody picked it?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 6:17 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Miku is quite good, but you won't get too much for $25/p expect to spend closer to $40/p but they have the best calamari I've ever had and it's very reasonable priced.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 6:52 PM

i LOVE oysi oysi on alberni. they have a tremendous lunch crowd so they go through their fish. theythey are chinese owned but the wait staff and kitchen are mostly japanese BUT the food is still of a high quality. they do raw oysters (I order them there all the time, no bad ones yet)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 3:07 AM

I like Shabusen

http://www.shabusen.com/

Mainly because they provide the raw meat and you get to cook it yourself.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 3:42 AM
Site 8 Lives

For something cheap, cheerful and very authentic, check out Sushi Mart on lower Robson.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 6:05 AM

hands down => toshi

line-ups, yes, but worth the wait.... eating up to your heart's content usually racks up a bill of $25-30 per person. opens at 5pm. line-up at 4:40pm and you should be able to get in upon opening.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Miku is quite good, but you won't get too much for $25/p expect to spend closer to $40/p but they have the best calamari I've ever had and it's very reasonable priced.
http://www.mikurestaurant.com

Video is a good laff. Awesome food. Highly recommended.

On a sad note, Ping's Cafe is no longer. Their stuff was fantastic.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:56 PM
Community Guy

Love the two places, one just east and one just west of Thurlow on Davie.

Amazing portions, great quality.

The one west is cheaper, east more selection

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 1:52 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
i LOVE oysi oysi on alberni. they have a tremendous lunch crowd so they go through their fish. theythey are chinese owned but the wait staff and kitchen are mostly japanese BUT the food is still of a high quality. they do raw oysters (I order them there all the time, no bad ones yet)
i like this one as well.

There is also some good places in burnaby, in metrotown under silvercity there is a place with a conveyer belt but the food is below great, its ok IMO.
And on Kingsway there are a few places that are good.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:22 AM

I always wondered if Oysi was supposed to be some butchered spelling of Oishii... "delicious".

If they are Chinese owned it makes sense

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 3:25 PM
not a NIMBY

I enjoyed Sushi Bella in North Vancouver last night.
http://www.sushibella.com

The Bella Tower:
Fresh salmon and tuna tartar,
avocado, crab mix, wasabi mayo &
pesto
my pic

We also had a cowboy roll which featured cooked beef and raw salmon, some assorted tempura, and Tropical teriyaki Don with stir fried chicken, shrimp, crushed
peanuts & pineapple with vegetables.
Good food good service good location and nice ambience. I would go back.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 3:18 PM

My new fave - Sea monstr sushi in gastown. fish is very tender, not chewy and almost melts in your mouth. not expensive (~$10-15 per diner, not including drinks).

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 4:00 PM
See ya down under, mates

Sushi Town on Marine Drive in North Van is by far the favourite of my wife and I. It unfortunately shares a building with McDonald's, but once you're inside it's top notch everything (besides inattentive servers). Everyone is actually Japanese too. Even most of the customers. It's packed by 7pm most nights despite being a large restaurant by sushi joint standards.

The Awesome Roll is highly recommended (bad photo - presented much nicer in restaurant).

Will give thumbs up to Bella Sushi too, although they are pricey and small.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 6:20 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'll vouch for Monstr Suhsi as well. Probably the best salmon sashimi I've had, and they always have some great specials and they're the first restaurant I've been to locally that has the bottoms up beer filling machine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining