HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 1:51 AM

Looks like it turned out quite well.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 2:33 AM

There are really very few skyscrapers in the world that I don't like and this is one of them. Hideous, unfinished, flagpole, drab, prisonesque come to mind.

At least it doesn't stick out too much in NYC, where there are many other tall buildings. If this were the centerpiece of a smaller city's skyline, it would be a total disaster.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
There are really very few skyscrapers in the world that I don't like and this is one of them. Hideous, unfinished, flagpole, drab, prisonesque come to mind.

At least it doesn't stick out too much in NYC, where there are many other tall buildings. If this were the centerpiece of a smaller city's skyline, it would be a total disaster.

Translation:

"I have very poor, non-discriminating taste. An architect really can't dumb down a design enough for me. In fact, the only time I don't like a skyscraper is when it challenges my preconceived notions of what a tower ought to be. I react to being challenged by relating the disturbing object to things that I hate, regardless of how idiotic these similes and adjectives are. And oh yeah, the fact that it isn't in Chicago doesn't help."

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 4:45 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I think its unforunate this building didn't turn out nicely. A lot of what this building tired to do in being progressive left it looking dull and taky. It usually appears to be rather drab and the top has a tremendous disconnect. I'd expect better execution from Piano.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Translation:

"I have very poor, non-discriminating taste. An architect really can't dumb down a design enough for me. In fact, the only time I don't like a skyscraper is when it challenges my preconceived notions of what a tower ought to be. I react to being challenged by relating the disturbing object to things that I hate, regardless of how idiotic these similes and adjectives are. And oh yeah, the fact that it isn't in Chicago doesn't help."
I really liked the renderings, so I was perfectly fine with the design concept of NYTT. The problem was the executiuon.

Facade: Interesting concept using the ceramic rods to conserve energy. The problem is that the color choice was rather unfortunate as it makes the building look very dull and drab. Also, the window pattern as it looks against the facade makes the building look prision or parking garage like, with windows that are vertically small and horizontally continous.

Crown: Instead of having a nice gradual decrease of ceramic rod density from the bottom to the top of the crown, the rods on the crown just seem to disappear altogether. This acts to emphasize the vertical and horizontal supports of the crown, the thickness of which makes it look like some type of exoskeleton support structure, and therefore a perpetually under construction or unfinished look.

Spire: Well, it looks like a flagpole to me, and I just don't find that appealing. Also, I don't like that ring about 1/3 of the way up.

Positives: Internal stairs along facade. Exposed angular cross-braced structural support. It's in New York and not Chicago

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I don't like that ring about 1/3 of the way up.
Same with me.

I though I'd get used to it, but so far, I haven't.

The unfinished look of the crown doesn't disturb me. I would have liked to see the once projected garden.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 2:54 PM
Always Lookin' Up

Ehhhh ..... Burger King ???

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 6:55 PM
Pilgerist Chomskyite

lol thats uglyyy

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChancho View Post
lol thats uglyyy

Great post!!!!!

If only we could switch this building for Ottawa's greatest skyscraper. Then you would be forced to look at this hideous monstrosity every day and we would get I-have-no-idea-what.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Also, the window pattern as it looks against the facade makes the building look prision or parking garage like, with windows that are vertically small and horizontally continous.
To say the building looks like a prison is to admit that you have not seen this building in person. Up close, it appears weightless.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...=3379&page=200
Posted by Edward at WNY

From far away, especially in photographs, the windows can appear as narrow bands, but that is only because the rods are functioning as the are meant to--they are scattering and reflecting light.

http://www.brianrose.com/journal/nytimes.jpg

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 7:57 PM

It's about time we had a good NYTimes Tower dust-up. Where's CoolCzech?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 9:04 PM

Quote:
It's about time we had a good NYTimes Tower dust-up. Where's CoolCzech?
If this ends up being trouble I will be closing this thread again and it will be gone for good next time.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 2:00 AM
Pilgerist Chomskyite

Quote:
Great post!!!!!

If only we could switch this building for Ottawa's greatest skyscraper. Then you would be forced to look at this hideous monstrosity every day and we would get I-have-no-idea-what.
That crown or whatever you wanna call it reminds me of what was left standing of the wtc, the outer support wall out of the ruble. Although Ottawa doesn't have any great skyscrapers I'm confident there isn't anything as uninspiring as this. Thank god it will be lost in the sea of other great skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 2:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yeah, that about sums it up...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 3:47 PM

I get to see the building May 4th/5th, so I'll reserve my judgement for then.

But, I believe the crown will work once the trees are in place.
Is this still the case?.....are they still planning on trees at the top?
It would connect with the austere garden in the atrium/courtyard.
(at least in the mind's eye)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:30 PM
I'm usually right.

Quote:
Translation:

That's rude.

This building sucks. I hate it, too, and it's not because I'm dumb and don't "get it".

Such a wasted opportunity to build something great.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:46 AM

^^ Thank you skylife.

Quote:
To say the building looks like a prison is to admit that you have not seen this building in person. Up close, it appears weightless.

From far away, especially in photographs, the windows can appear as narrow bands, but that is only because the rods are functioning as the are meant to--they are scattering and reflecting light.
This is from up close and you call it weightless

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:36 PM
Editor

I don't see why people hate this building. It looks decent IMO. Kind of a mix of 70's style with todays style. I don't like the flagpole on the roof, but outside of that, not a bad building.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 6:15 AM
Euroscraper

I've finally got to see in person this building and I can confirm my first opinion... it's a magnificent tower and a great addition to the midtown skyline!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 12:47 PM
BANNED

i was just reading through this thread and was DISGUSTED by the opinions of this building. are you guys FUCKING SERIOUS? this building is a master piece of modern architecture. have any of you naysayers been at the base of it; inside it; seen it in person? it is AMAZING. and anyone who thinks it's ugly, 70's, or whatever, knows nothing about architecture. i'm sorry. wow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive