HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:10 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Sunburn in November 2: San Miguel de Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico

After Tampa came Cozumel. The ship docked at the touristy Puerta Maya, but we walked on into San Miguel.

Video Link

Yes I know the music is technically Peruvian, but I like it. So there. Also, when I tried to find some good Mexican music for this thread, I couldn't find any that didn't make me very, very sad inside.

San Miguel de Cozumel: What Part of "Yo No Tengo Dinero" do You Not Understand?

Our first glimpse of Cozumel from the ship.

Performers were getting ready to entertain the tourists.

Fake, but pretty.

While the coconut water was tasty, eating a fresh, warm coconut is akin to what I imagine eating a slug would be like. I didn't care for it.

Meanwhile, at the museum...

Why have I titled this thread what I have, you ask? Because the people who will try to sell you things in Cozumel are legion and they are persistent. I attempted to get my boyfriend, who is fluent in Spanish, to teach me some handy phrases but he wouldn't do it. The phrases I specifically wanted to learn were "No," "No, thank you," "Please go away," "I have no money," and "God damn you to hell, what part of 'I have no money do you not understand?". I wanted to know these things because the people were relentless and simply ignoring them did not work. They would literally block your path and try to show you their wares. We had to run an obstacle course all the way back to the ship.

They were especially bad here near the square.

Follow me around the Caribbean!

Florida
Belize
Honduras
Cayman Islands
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Nov 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 9:40 PM

Great thread, Haunted - thanks!

A couple of things about Cozumel. Firstly, I LOVE the place - when the ships aren't in port. When the ships are in port, it takes on an entirely different flavor - hence the relentless sales tactics all over downtown you encountered. Another thing you may or may not realize is that all of the shops/bars/restaurants at Puerto Maya and the other dock north of it closer to Downtown are owned by the cruise lines, and the prices reflect this. Move a couple of blocks inland from the Embarcadero and the prices drop significantly.

When the ships aren't in port, the place takes on its usual laid back vibe that is wonderful. The eastern shore is totally uninhabited and worth a drive sometime if you ever get back. There is a famous bar about midway up the shore that is a must see (it's the only structure within 20 miles), famous for their afternoon "bud" parties and then naps in hammocks under the palapas. Then everyone rises for margaritas and a celebratory sunset happy hour while the huge "bar pig" wanders around greeting everyone. The "bar pig" is a huge Vietnamese pot belly pig that sleeps under the bar (it's on stilts) during the heat of the day, and then wakes up later in the afternoon. She is very social and loves people (I know it sounds strange, but this whole scene is actually pretty cool!)

Cozumel is a warm, magical place if you ever get to spend a couple of days and experience it when the ships aren't there. You can fly there nonstop from a couple of major hubs, or fly to Cancun, make your way down to Playa del Carmen and then take the high speed ferry over.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:35 AM

Nice pictures. It's great that you went out and saw the regular town down there. I try to do that stuff when I travel, as well. I would think that most people on here would do that, actually.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos