HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:28 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
An excessively photographed, pet-infested streetcar suburb (Part the Second)

You have viewed Part the First? Yes?

Let's continue, then.

Australians need love too.

The Grim Reaper rides the Asheville Transit System -- why don't you?

What building might this be, you ask.

Is the address a clue?

Don't lie. You have no idea what building this is.

Alright, fine. I'll tell you. It's Homewood Castle, once part of the aforementioned mental hospital. Now it's a wedding venue, especially known for hosting lavish gay and lesbian commitment ceremonies.

This was set up across the street, in fact.

This building was also once part of Highland Hospital.

Thad and Bootsie changed buses but I was too smart for them. I know they're on there, still looking at the For Sale signs.

Can you spot what's wrong with this sign?

Mmm... tub butter. And steel wool...

Green seems to be a pretty popular color in Montford.

Remember how I mentioned that Riverside Cemetery is the grandest green space in Montford? It may be so, but it's far from the only park space. Here's...

There's Montford Park I, Montford Park II, and Highland Park, among others.

We've been in an awful drought this year. In a normal year when there's plenty of water, this...

...flows...

...into this. Just your average hole in the hill. One might even imagine that we all float down there.

But not me. I was heading back up to the top of the hill. You will note that I am wearing my new jacket. Isn't it stylish? I'm also wearing my leather-pervert-in-training boots and leather bracers.

Moving on now.

Asheville plays in Riverside Cemetery. One of my favorite pictures of all time appeared in our local paper this month and showed a marathon trotting through the graveyard with the grave of Thomas Wolfe in the background.

Every so often I too feel compelled to leave Asian wood carvings on the graves of my relatives.

This is a different beheaded-little-girl statue, in case you were wondering.

Stained glass just makes a tomb, don't you think?

The Jewish Cemetery.

Kinda looks like someone under there wants to come back up, doesn't it?

This is the Veterans Cemetery in Riverside Cemetery. On the back of one stone someone had painted a big red heart.

Leo is a very friendly sort of beast. Very "purry." Loves to be petted and held. He followed me around the entire time I was in the graveyard. However, if you try to scratch his belly, he bites. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And just in case you've found this journey to the cemetery to be a downer, I leave you with this advice, courtesy of a woman who has been dead since the early 1900's:

This has been quite the pleasant little jaunt, hasn't it? Well... just remember that when hell is full, the dead will keep to the sidewalks of Montford Avenue and use caution when crossing the I-240 bridge.

(Tune in next week to find out what the hell I'm talking about there.)
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Oct 20, 2008 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:56 AM
no its not...

Great Area

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 3:18 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
Great Area
Absolutely it's a great area. I honestly don't know where I'd choose to live in this town if I had my choice of any area. Montford? Downtown? West Asheville?

And that's not even taking into account the other neighborhoods that are basically sisters of Montford. There's Grove Park, Albemarle Park, Beverly Hills, and several others. This city is up to its armpits in nice old neighborhoods.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 3:21 AM
Never Dell

We all float, eh? Someone's read their It.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 1:23 PM
A gruff individual.

I bumped my first installation of this thread because I think all these pictures are neat, I'm proud of them, and I wanted to give them a little more exposure.

However, I'm bumping this installation because of an article that appeared in my local newspaper today. As it turns out, the oldest grave in Riverside Cemetery isn't from the 1850's. Or the 1840's, 1830's, or 1820's. The inscription on the oldest grave in Riverside Cemetery reads as follows:

In Memory of John Lyon, who departed this life Sept. 14, 1814, aged 49 years.

Lyon was a Scottish botanist who was the director of a large botanical garden near Philadelphia until 1802 when he relocated to Asheville. He spent the next 12 years cataloging this area's unique plant life, and shipping many examples of it to Britain to be planted in English gardens.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 4:04 PM
Registered Loser

what a creepy little town

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 4:28 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
what a creepy little town
That has got to be the nicest thing anyone has said to me all month. Thank you!

If you really want to see creepy, take a look at my two shameless plugs that I linked to in the first installation of this thread. I worked at those, and even included appropriate background music for viewing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:11 AM
Closed account

asheville is definitely a place i want to visit.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:56 AM

Sweet thread of the dead!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 5:20 AM

Interesting place. I like the street "signs" in the sidewalks.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:28 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanNation View Post
asheville is definitely a place i want to visit.
And it wants you to visit it. Come in November or March for clearer air, which makes for better mountain views, and lower prices at the hotels, plus you won't have to put up with hordes of irritating tourists. Or come in July or October for the true "tourist town" experience, which is kind of self-perpetuating at this point -- it's fun to be part of the herd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
Sweet thread of the dead!
Yes. Yes it is. I love Riverside Cemetery and find it a very peaceful place. You often see joggers and people walking their dogs there, in addition to the occasional marathon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Interesting place. I like the street "signs" in the sidewalks.
I like them too, and I would like to think that whenever these sidewalks need replacing, the city would go to the extra trouble of replacing the stencils. But... how in hell do you not notice you have the Z in Zillicoa Street set in backward? That took time, you realize. A lot of time.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:35 PM

Absolutely wonderful threads, hauntedhead. Reconfirms my love of your City. I haven't been up in over two years, sadly.

If you run into them again, please tell Thad & Bootise their gardener let the dog out. He's trampled all of my lantana.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 11:32 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Absolutely wonderful threads, hauntedhead. Reconfirms my love of your City. I haven't been up in over two years, sadly.

If you run into them again, please tell Thad & Bootise their gardener let the dog out. He's trampled all of my lantana.
Teacup poodles and purse-sized chihuahuas, which are the "in-thing" accessory pet for moneyed twits everywhere this season, are hardly large enough to trample lantana. Nice try.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 2:13 AM
urbanphile

cool photos... your a morbid f#cker too!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 2:53 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA View Post
cool photos... your a morbid f#cker too!
You and my mother agree. What can I say -- I try.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos