HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 8:48 PM

Predict the result of the 2019 federal election

I'll try to do a more detailed analysis later...but my feeling is the Liberals get re-elected with either a slim majority or just short of that, maybe 175 seats.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 8:55 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

As long as the federal Conservative Party doesn't win, I'm fine with the result.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, it depends on who is running. MP Nick Whalen in St. John's East is definitely vulnerable. He rode the red wave to barely defeat the NDP incumbent Jack Harris, 46.7% to 45.3%. In the previous three elections, Harris won with 70-75% of the vote. There is certainly no red wave this time, so if Harris runs, I expect he will win.

St. John's South-Mount Pearl has flipped between the Liberals and NDP for the last several elections. MP Seamus O'Regan is popular, much moreso than the separatist NDP incumbent he defeated ever was. So that one is probably safe.

Pre-Harper, both of these ridings (and their predecessors) were reliably blue. The current Conservative Party won't change that, but some future iteration certainly could. Fiscal conservatism and social liberalism or libertarianism is definitely what these ridings prefer.

For the rest, they will never go NDP. Ever. Under any circumstances. They could go Conservative if the local candidate is beloved enough, but that isn't likely.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:06 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Hopefully the Greens can increase their seat count severalfold, since the big 3 parties are all truly awful and more or less equally unappealing this time around.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:09 PM

I think it will be another Liberal victory. They will definitely lose seats, but I cannot see them losing to either party.

With all of Trudeau's misteps, people forget how effective he was during the 2015 election. That election was won based on his personal style of politics vis-a-vis the Conservatives' and I don't see why that is going to change. The Cons elected a completely unappealing man as their leader and I think Scheer is going to have a very difficult time persuading anyone on the fence about voting blue to do so. There's a reason he is barely in the new as is.

The NDP is going to be hurt badly in the upcoming election as well. Singh was the wrong choice for leader for them as well. I could see the Greens benefitting at their detriment.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:17 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Please god, anyone but Trudeau or the NDP

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
That tends to narrow the choice a bit ...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:34 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That tends to narrow the choice a bit ...

yeap!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
As long as the federal Conservative Party doesn't win, I'm fine with the result.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, it depends on who is running. MP Nick Whalen in St. John's East is definitely vulnerable. He rode the red wave to barely defeat the NDP incumbent Jack Harris, 46.7% to 45.3%. In the previous three elections, Harris won with 70-75% of the vote. There is certainly no red wave this time, so if Harris runs, I expect he will win.

St. John's South-Mount Pearl has flipped between the Liberals and NDP for the last several elections. MP Seamus O'Regan is popular, much moreso than the separatist NDP incumbent he defeated ever was. So that one is probably safe.

Pre-Harper, both of these ridings (and their predecessors) were reliably blue. The current Conservative Party won't change that, but some future iteration certainly could. Fiscal conservatism and social liberalism or libertarianism is definitely what these ridings prefer.

For the rest, they will never go NDP. Ever. Under any circumstances. They could go Conservative if the local candidate is beloved enough, but that isn't likely.
If I were to take a stab at the results for NL next election, I'd guess that Seamus O'Reagan will hold SJS-MP for the Liberals, and that St. John's North could flip back to the NDP with a strong candidate (heck, Jack Harris could win it back if he ran again). I think the days of a Conservative Party held St. John's are over, especially considering the large student population and how a rise in left-wing activism has come forth in the past ten years. I would bet that St. John's will primarily be an NDP stronghold in the future.

As for the rest of the province, safe bet to assume Liberal. Labrador could always go astray if a Conservative politician promised them the world. One interesting riding to watch would be Bonavista-Burin-Trinity. It's a new district only held by the extremely popular Judy Foote and her successor, but the districts that have preceeded it have flirted close to Conservative victory in recent times past. In 2006 Random-Burin-St. George's voted 40% for the CPC versus 45% for the incumbent Liberal, and Bonavista-Gander-Grand Falls accounted for 40% CPC votes in both 2004 and 2006 elections. If anything is going to surprise flip, it'll be there, and a slight litmus test for the health of the CPC party in the province. West coast and south coast ridings are a sure lock for the Liberals, even if Hitler ran the Liberal party.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:47 PM

Liberal: majority hold
PC: small gains, mostly by recapturing the little that they lost in Alberta in 2015
Bloc: Probably the biggest gainer proportionally. Will sweep former NDP territory
NDP: Probably biggest net loser, also in Quebec.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:47 PM

CP 156 seats. I see the Tories taking back 15 Liberal seats in the West, 25 in Ontario 10 seats in Quebec and 7 seats in Atlantic Canada. Almost entirely from the Liberals these would come as the Liberals have a very slim chance of retaining the kind of support they got in 2015 when looking at polling trends this past year.

LB 145 seats. I see the Liberals losing 8 Atlantic seats, 32 in Ontario and 15 in the West. The only place I see the Liberals gaining seats is in Quebec from the NDP vote collapse there adding 16 seats.

NDP 36 seats. I see the NDP winning 1 Atlantic seat, losing all 16 of their Quebec seats, winning 16 seats in Ontario and 19 seats in the West.

Green 1 seat

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:59 PM

^Interesting. Maybe I'm being a little conservative (pun) with my vote projections. People are very fickle these days, and the old adage "it's the economy, stupid" no longer applies to incumbents. Besides, the economy may/will probably be worse then than it is now.

I probably underestimated how well the Conservatives will do. I recognize that they'll pick up everything that they lost in the Prairies (that's sort of the natural order of things), and that they'll probably pick up something in Atlantic Canada, but it seems like they've hit a bit of a voter wall everywhere else. I can't see many more Southern Ontario ridings turning Conservative apart from the three or four in Central Ontario (which are also belwethers). They basically already have every riding that isn't urban or suburban.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:08 PM

Too many variables to call right now. If Doug Ford goes Full Neanderthal in ON, he risks driving voters away from Mr.Peeper's federal Tories. If Singh loses the Burnaby byelection the NDP could be dead in the water.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Too many variables to call right now. If Doug Ford goes Full Neanderthal in ON, he risks driving voters away from Mr.Peeper's federal Tories. If Singh loses the Burnaby byelection the NDP could be dead in the water.
We also need to see what happens with NAFTA - good deal vs bad/no deal could make all the difference.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post

For the sake of all that is holy.....No more of that bumbling stumbling babbling thing they call our PM. And that band of incompetent ideological liberal left wing kooks.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
^Interesting. Maybe I'm being a little conservative (pun) with my vote projections. People are very fickle these days, and the old adage "it's the economy, stupid" no longer applies to incumbents. Besides, the economy may/will probably be worse then than it is now.

I probably underestimated how well the Conservatives will do. I recognize that they'll pick up everything that they lost in the Prairies (that's sort of the natural order of things), and that they'll probably pick up something in Atlantic Canada, but it seems like they've hit a bit of a voter wall everywhere else. I can't see many more Southern Ontario ridings turning Conservative apart from the three or four in Central Ontario (which are also belwethers). They basically already have every riding that isn't urban or suburban.
Most federal polls since February show the Tories and Liberals either 2-3 points ahead of each other or tied in Ontario. In 2015 the Liberals won 80 Ontario seats with 44.8 % of the vote compared to the Tories 31 seats at 35% and the NDP won 8 seats at 16.6%. If both are roughly tied at 37% in Ontario and the NDP now has an Ontarian leader who should be able to gather more support in the visible minority ridings of the GTA than Mulcair could that only means the Liberals lose dozens of Ontario seats.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
For the sake of all that is holy.....No more of that bumbling stumbling babbling thing they call our PM. And that band of incompetent ideological liberal left wing kooks.
Amen.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:51 PM
Starring as himself

So far, I don't see Scheer as a very convincing leader. So in my view it will be a bounce-back election for the Conservatives, but only to the extent that the Liberals end up right on the line for a majority. The gushing support for the Liberals is gone, but enough "default" support has replaced it to keep them in power. Not unlike 1968 vs. 1972 in some respects.

Still, I would say that the Liberals are probably down to their last three strikes as far as major mistakes are concerned. They need to start looking more competent: their achievements are looking very thin, outside of feel-good photo ops and posturing. Plus they still have the tricky cannabis rollout to get past, with all the potential that has for missteps.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:51 PM
I am a typical

I hope the Conservatives win so that we can go back to kissing the asses of Saudi Arabia and the United States again. This whole being our own country with our own ideas thing is exhausting! I just want to be another country's bitch again.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:09 AM

Total liberal victory.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:19 AM

Probably a minority Liberal govt.

It's really hard to tell because so many Quebec seats will be 3- and 4- way races that will be decided by a hair (last federal election, some Quebec ridings were won by as low as 28% in four-way FPTP races).

We don't even know yet if the Feds will be picking fights with our (very likely) new government in the interval, which is yet another variable. We have no one to vote for so we might throw away our votes on a whim. Maybe falling in love with a new Jack Layton from out of nowhere and giving him most of our federal seats again - though that person should start to hurry, it's getting late to show up...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada