HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 2:29 PM
Content provider

stainless steel sounds really cool at the top.
I am so rooting for this one

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 2:42 PM
The True Avatar

The article says it will be 670 feet. Where do you see 770 feet?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 5:53 PM

^Mistype. Or wishful thinking, seeing what I was really wishing for.

Hell, I guess that means that it's 50' shorter than first reported.

I guess that what we really have to do is wait until Emporis sees the blueprints and speak with the architects or construction workers. Previous articles stated the the tower would be 720'.

Last edited by BVictor1; Jan 9, 2005 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 6:44 PM

The easiest way to solve this strange height mistery is to ask. Tomorrow the sales center for One Museum Park opens, and when I go I will ask about the discrepancies in the reporting of the height for the building.

I will also call the architecture firm, Pappageorge/Haymes Ltd., I've spoken with someone there before, and he said to call back anytime. That time will be tomorrow.

Whatever I can find out, I will let you all know.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 6:56 PM
Vertigo City

hopefully itll be 720 feet. Hopefully.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 8:08 PM

There are two beautiful color renderings in todays Tribune associated with the article. We've never seen these renderings before. Someone please scan them, otherwise i'll do it tomorrow ar school.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 8:16 PM
Future World Dictator

Wow, I jsut looked at the renderings further up on the page. I really like how it's big, bulky, and imposing.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 8:20 PM

Two other recent structures from the same architect are 530 NLSD and the Michigan Avenue Tower. Based on 530 NLSD (29s/328 ft), Museum Park would project to be 757 ft. Based on Michigan Avenue Tower (29s/314 ft). Museum Park would project to be 725 ft. 720 ft is the height that was given at a Museum Park presentation. 720 ft. sounds right to me.

Tony in Woodacre.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
"We went as tall as economically feasible. Going higher would just be for ego," he said.
And?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2005, 11:56 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk
Wow, I jsut looked at the renderings further up on the page. I really like how it's big, bulky, and imposing.
^just like a classic Chicago highrise should be

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 5:15 AM
None...

so is this gonna be 720 ft or 670? i;d like to see the extra 50ft... but either way, it seems that things are going good towards its construction

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 6:08 AM

I went to the Museum Park sales center on Saturday. They had a model of the entire Central Station site as well as large models of Musem Tower IV, Lofts II, Meseum Tower III, one other tower I am drawing a balnk on the name and 1 MP. The sales center was pretty busy so I didn't ask any questions. There were also floor plans for the buildings. The actual model and what I belive to be the definitve resperentation of 1 MP so far is a little different than the most recent rendering on this thread. The very top set back on the right side of the main central cylinder has been removed. The next set back on the right side seems to be about a story higher. The removal of that one set back has the effect of making the central section look a little taller and reducing the overall bulk of the building slightly IMO. So far most of the renderings we have seen have been looking at the building from the northeast, the most bulky angle. It is rather sleeker from othe perspectives (e.g., looking due north, south, and east). At the time I didn't know about the height issue or I would have asked. I have a very hard time beliving it will be 67 stories and only 670 ft tall. Its presence certanily seems larger and I find it very hard to believe that people paying that much money for a top of the line luxury condo would accept 8-9 ft ceilings which would be necessary for a 10 ft/story average. This is far below what is currently being built in most new highrise in Chicago. I think some units in Trump are going to have 13ft ceilings. Overall, I love this project and the model looks wonderful.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 6:38 AM

^Thanks for that dude. I will be visiting the sales center, well today, I will certainly be asking about height, and I will try to get a sales packet. Hopefilly there will be some renderings within the packet which I will scan and post.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 5:14 PM

I was also there on Friday and Satuarday, and that model is quite impresseive. On Friday though, the sales staff noticed two errors in the model: a setback on the north facade is too high and should be level with the setback on the west side of the building; and there is a floor missing from the base. Even with the missing floor, I hand counted 68-69 floors within the curtian wall clad floors, and then there is the rest of the stainless steel clad mechanical penthouse. Anytime I asked what the floorcount was, the answer was always "60+" with no concrete number.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 6:36 PM

A few more comments about my visit to the sales center. At one point I overheard a sales person talking to a prespective costomer about 1mp and how to the west would be 2 short buildings and then another tall building along the Roosevelt street wall. I thought that was pretty funny. Who would have ever thought 2 500+ft buildings south of Roosevelt would be "the short ones". Also the corner of 1mp is not a 90 degree angle, the north elevation runs parallel to Roosevelt while the east elevation is parallel to the RR tracks, so the angle is >90 degrees. It looked to me that most of the tower was built over the road that runs parallel to the RR tracks just west of the tracks and in the land on either side of the road. A large park is to cover the tracks between LSD and Meseum Park running from Roosvelt south to as far as about the south side of Soldier Field. It is possible that the height discrepancy might be at least in part from the difference between the level of Roosevelt and the RR tracks. Roosevelt will probably be the main entrance but the actual base of the building would be at about the same level as the RR tracks. However, I don't think the difference is quite 50ft. I am sure we will find out more when we get the next update from BVictor.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 9:27 PM

Okay, well I've just come from the sales center. It was fucking busy. A total madhouse, and i'm sorry to day a bit unorgainzed. I got different answers from everyone. I was told that the building would be 61-stories, the handout packet that I got said the building would be 61-stories, and when I called Pappageorge/Haymes Ltd., who are the architects, they told me 61-stories. When I counted the floors on the model I came up with between 66-70 stories including the mechanical penthouse. I tried to count several times, and that's difficult to do on such a large model, because you can't help but blink, and you tend to loose your place.

Sorry that I couldn't do better guys. I will go back in several weeks when things have cooled down. As I said it was crazy there. When I asked how many units there would be I was given ansewrs in the range from 187-units to 240-units so....

I was told that they taken reservations for more than 50% of the building. Now I don't know how true that is, as I said I will revisit in a couple of weeks.

Now for some renderings and model pictures

This is a rendering that comes with the building description packet.

This rendering is from the Chicago Tribune 01/09/05

Looking northwest towards the tower.

Looking east.

This is the back southwest corner of the building.

Looking south at the north face of the building. That's Roosevelt Road that you see running along the base.

Looking up at the eastern facade.

The crown.

Another shot of the western facade looking east toward the building.

A small turnaround and courtyard in the back southwestern corner of the building.

A smaller version of the One Museum Park model placed within the larger model. Looking southwest.

Another shot of the southern facade looking north.

Looking down upon the base.

As I said before I will go back soon for more information. Sorry I couldn't get it this time. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 9:47 PM

I count 69 floors from the base on the south side to the top of windowed stories (not counting the stainless steel top). Thanks for all the pics and info BVictor.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 9:49 PM

This building looks very Miamish to me!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2005, 9:57 PM
Vertigo City

Awesome! Great work Vic! That model is fantasic, and i hope to check it out for myself!

Im dissapointed to hear about the floor count. Only 61? That means that the height is indeed around 670 feet, instead of being 700+ ft. Hopefully, that will change with strong sales (which probably will, considering the location, and the views it would provide).

I love the south and north elevations. They always give a southwestern perspective of the building. its actually much sleeker than they make it out to be. Great design overall. I just LOVE the crown!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2005, 1:01 AM
devout Pizzatarian

FANTASTIC WORK VICTOR! thank you, thank you, thank you!

the model pics are making me even more excited about this one, and given the prominent location, i think it's safe to say that this project is probably already a done deal, as the unobstructed lake and park views from this tower's units will be legally protected for all eternity. that's a HUGE selling point in the high-rise condo market; these units are gonna sell like hot-cakes.

btw victor, i hope you don't mind, but i copied all your pics and scans into the 1st post of this thread for easy reference convenience in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive