HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 2:30 PM
`

Looks like they are on the 104 storey all the way around?

Great shots!

JAN 27:

Tower view:

chrisdubai/moonx

Last edited by Slugbelch; Feb 8, 2007 at 4:15 AM. Reason: +Jan 27 Pic

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 3:07 PM

The walls painted in white are on un-accessible aereas, to be hidden behind the facade.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 9:35 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

counted 107F-108F

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 9:38 PM
World Machine

Is it me or is this thing begining to resemble the Citigrop Center in NYC.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 10:30 PM
`

The version everyone thinks it is:

... and the version everyone hopes it is:

... just playin' around with the last one so it's not perfect, but knows

Last edited by Slugbelch; Jan 28, 2007 at 5:35 PM. Reason: +last diagram

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 1:48 PM

Latest from Imre:

28/01/2007

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 2:25 PM

According to Wikipedia, the tower has now reach the last level designed for residential use. they now start the offices section which are supposte to have a MUCH HIGHER floor diametre. So we cannot calculate with 4.2 metres anymore. I heared of 5.2-5.4. Am I right ? makes BD about 406.6m

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 6:00 PM
`

Thanks Imre! This gives us three updates close together to give us a time span to raise the core 1 level:

24th: 27th: 28th:
Still waiting to see the mech. level to be revealed. If not, a possible height extention?

Also gives me an updated to the chart:

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 6:58 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julito-Dubai View Post
According to Wikipedia, the tower has now reach the last level designed for residential use. they now start the offices section which are supposte to have a MUCH HIGHER floor diametre. So we cannot calculate with 4.2 metres anymore. I heared of 5.2-5.4. Am I right ? makes BD about 406.6m
The last floor was at 4.21m too but the 108th will be a double height floor and 109th = 5.6m, 110th = 5.2m, and 111th = 5.2m. The next floors starting at 112 were supposed to be 4.2m each; but what they'll be now I have no idea!

Haven't spoken to Prof.B. at all since the 24th as he's away. I've just been getting text messages from his office reference height updates, that's it!
He's back next week so I'll see if I can find out soon.

Slug, your graphical updates are great! They get better each time you do one. Thanks alot!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 9:06 PM

28/01/2007 23:56

29/01/2007 0:00

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 1:27 PM
Dubai

30/01/2007

Burj Dubai update , some pics from Business Bay and different angles

[IMG]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2217/photo05mb4.jpg" style="border:http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/8578/photo04ys8.jpgpx solid black">

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 5:33 PM

thanks for the great pics! I'm not sure what wed do without you. What camera do you have btw?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:48 PM
World Machine

Its coming along very well, but I have to say, the wings are sure taking their time to catch up with the core.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 9:41 PM
Honored Member

wonderfull updates , what a building !!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 1:43 AM
`

JAN 29:

JAN 30:

Here's the pic with the missing link. I think the best of the set. Nice!:

Some very nice night shots just posted, but a couple weeks back:

I love the night shots like AltinD and others when the whole area is under construction. Plus, an uncladded BD makes it look even better. It won't be quite as bright when the start to cover it.

Last edited by Slugbelch; Feb 13, 2007 at 1:56 PM. Reason: +Jan 29 pic

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 4:09 PM
`

World's Tallest Skyscraper May Face Year-Long Delay
Last Updated: January 31, 2007 09:16 EST
By Sean Cronin

Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Burj Dubai, the world's tallest skyscraper, is facing construction delays of at least a year after a leading contractor on the project went bankrupt, leaving the tower without any external walls.

Work that should have begun in the first quarter of 2006 won't start until April at the earliest following the collapse of Switzerland-based Schmidlin Ltd. Facade Technology, said George Efstathiou, a partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, which designed the tower in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Delays to the $900 million, 160-storey skyscraper are a setback to Dubai's plans to create a 500-acre district featuring hotels, offices, apartments and the world's biggest shopping mall as it seeks to become the Middle East's No. 1 tourist hub. While the tower's internal structures have already passed the 100th storey, the lack of a facade means work on fitting out the building can't begin.

``It's very unusual for a tower to be this tall without cladding,'' Efstathiou said yesterday in an interview on the sidelines of the `Building Tall' construction conference in Dubai. ``But we have a new contractor on board and they have a local partner and a scheme to get us back on track.''

The facade for the Burj Dubai, comprising thousands of metal panels, will now be provided by Hong Kong-based Far East Aluminium Group, Efstathiou said. Schmidlin was removed from the project even though its unit in the U.A.E. survived the group's bankruptcy.

Emaar Properties

The tower is being built for Emaar Properties, the largest developer in the Middle East. The Dubai-based company didn't respond to an e-mailed request for comment.

``We are starting this year, probably in the second quarter,'' Far East Aluminium Marketing Director Ivan Leung said today in a telephone interview from Hong Kong.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, based in Chicago, designed or is working on three of the world's six tallest buildings, Efstathiou said. The Burj Dubai's exact height has yet to be publicly disclosed as rival developers vie for the world record. Emaar has said the tower will have at least 160 stories.

Schmidlin Ltd. Facade Technology, based in Aesch, Switzerland, filed for bankruptcy on Feb. 22 last year. The company said at the time that the high-risk and technologically- challenging nature of its work had led to spiraling costs, leaving it ``massively in the red'' since 2003.

Taipei 101

The world's tallest building is currently the Taipei 101 tower in Taiwan, measuring 1,671 feet, excluding masts, and with 101 stories, according to the Emporis Buildings architectural statistics database. Built in 2004, Taipei 101 overtook the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur.

Chicago's Sears Tower, built in 1974, ranks next and is the world record holder when its broadcast antennas are included, with a height of 1,729 feet. The building also has 108 floors, more than any other.

The tallest skyscrapers are still some way short of other constructions. Among freestanding structures, the 1,815-foot CN Tower in Toronto is the tallest on land and the Petronius oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico, operated by Chevron Corp. and Marathon Oil Corp., the tallest overall at 2,001 feet.

Higher still is the KVLY-TV television mast in Blanchard, North Dakota, which stands at 2,063 feet with the help of guy wires and currently ranks as the world's tallest structure.

While the U.S. mast is likely to be surpassed by Burj Dubai, which means Dubai Tower in Arabic, Emaar's biggest rival in the U.A.E., government-controlled Nakheel PJSC, has also drawn up plans for a super-tall tower that may be higher.

Aziz Derraz, a spokesman for Nakheel's Dubai Waterfront development, said that though the dimensions of the building, to be known as Al Burj, are being kept secret, the tower would be ``one of the tallest in the world.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Sean Cronin in Dubai at scronin2@bloomberg.net

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 4:45 PM

This sounded bad at first, but I think it is just a confirmation what we already know... Clading not before 2nd quarter of 2007. So in April....

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 5:36 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Many people scoffed at me (mainly at SSC) when I announced an April earliest cladding start back in November!

It's nice to now it's been confirmed elsewhere!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 9:03 PM
`

Yeah, this was kinda old news about the cladding. Someone can make a name for themselves in the media if they hang out in the forums. They could have published Sky Towers news months ago.

But don't worry SkyT. As you have seen already, those of us who believe in your info., no explanation is necessary. Those who don't believe, no explanation will do.

JAN. 31:

ddp

Last edited by Slugbelch; Feb 7, 2007 at 1:20 PM. Reason: +Jan 31 pic

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 9:33 PM
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.
I agree wholeheartedly !!
Kinda like -
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that know binary and those that don't.
Keep up the good work guys

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa