HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Why would the NBA go back to Vancouver when it failed miserably there not too long ago? They had their chance, and they proved to be disinterested.

Seattle is the PNW city that deserves to get its team back, IMO.
The NBA didn't fail miserably in Vancouver, it barely had a shot.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 4:39 PM
America's Hometown

NFL - San Diego. Make the Chargers move back. LA will not support two teams. It didn't before.

MLB - Portland. Would give the Mariners a nice rival.

NHL - Seattle. No brainer.

NBA - St Louis. I know they now have lost 2 NFL team but the Blues do draw and it's been 50 years since Atlanta stole the Hawks.

MLS - San Antonio. It might keep them from stealing an NFL team from another city.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
NFL - San Diego. Make the Chargers move back. LA will not support two teams. It didn't before.

MLB - Portland. Would give the Mariners a nice rival.

NHL - Seattle. No brainer.

NBA - St Louis. I know they now have lost 2 NFL team but the Blues do draw and it's been 50 years since Atlanta stole the Hawks.

MLS - San Antonio. It might keep them from stealing an NFL team from another city.
No matter your view, St. Louis and St. Louis County are very racially divided. I doubt the NFL or NBA are coming back any time soon.

LA can support two teams but it doesn't need to. Leagues want LA more than LA wants leagues.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 7:13 PM
Never Dell

I don't think any city has an NBA argument over Seattle, assuming we go through with the Key Arena upgrade.

NHL might work here but the fan base will need to be created, much like a sunbelt city.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I don't think any city has an NBA argument over Seattle, assuming we go through with the Key Arena upgrade.

NHL might work here but the fan base will need to be created, much like a sunbelt city.
Are a plurality (as opposed to a majority) of Puget Sound people Canucks fans or not?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 8:46 PM
Never Dell

Pretty close to zero I'd say. On the rare occasion I see a Canucks jersey, I assume it's a tourist from Vancouver. The main daily paper doesn't cover hockey much, and they cover our junior teams more than NHL. People with cable can watch a Vancouver station or two, but I don't know whether those are the right stations. I don't recall seeing hockey in a bar here. I've never seen kids play hockey in the street.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 12:37 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Why would the NBA go back to Vancouver when it failed miserably there not too long ago? They had their chance, and they proved to be disinterested.
When you don't know the reason it's best just to say so rather than assume to know what happened then pass that off as fact.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 5:54 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
No matter your view, St. Louis and St. Louis County are very racially divided. I doubt the NFL or NBA are coming back any time soon.

also: metro chicago, detroit, cleveland, memphis, new orleans...are almost always considered to be even more racially divided at the metropolitan level. it's a midwestern and southern problem so not really sure the exact point you are trying to make w/ regards to fucking major league sports franchises.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
also: metro chicago, detroit, cleveland, memphis, new orleans...are almost always considered to be even more racially divided at the metropolitan level. it's a midwestern and southern problem so not really sure the exact point you are trying to make w/ regards to fucking major league sports franchises.
Most of those places are also much bigger than St. Louis and it's a miracle sports are still in Memphis and New Orleans.

And St. Louis is trying to lure ML sports back. Good luck getting any public financing for a stadium after the events of the last decade.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Most of those places are also much bigger than St. Louis and it's a miracle sports are still in Memphis and New Orleans.

And St. Louis is trying to lure ML sports back. Good luck getting any public financing for a stadium after the events of the last decade.
what do you mean back? but you are correct about the public financing angle for stadiums as the MLS stadium went down in flames and as far as i know dead in the water. there's no current attempt to lure any other leagues back as NBA (atlanta hawks) and NFL repeatedly burned the city, even after st. louis more or less greenlighted a billion dollar stadium for the rams (which was egregious and *partially* sunk the MLS proposal which was far, far cheaper).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When you don't know the reason it's best just to say so rather than assume to know what happened then pass that off as fact.
Vancouver averaged less than 14,000 fans per game in their last two seasons. That is fact.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Vancouver averaged less than 14,000 fans per game in their last two seasons. That is fact.
Well, Steve Francis screwed that franchise by whining for a trade after being drafted. Had he just gone, they probably become an average team and the attendance probably stays respectable. The team was God awful every year, so the novelty wore off.

But basketball can succeed in Vancouver, I just don't think we got a large enough sample size.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 7:01 PM

The NBA Lockout and a relatively weak Canadian dollar also played a role.

It's similar to what happened in Montreal, except the Grizzlies never had a championship caliber team like the '94 Expos.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They had a terrible W/L record. I remember back when I watched the NBA religiously, it was like oh, we're playing the Grizz, automatic win, no need to watch the game.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 6:03 PM

I think the market is already pretty saturated with teams but heres my take on which markets should receive a team.

NFL: San Antonio for a new fresh market. But. As an Angeleno. San Diego can have the Chargers back. Please take the Chargers back. LA can easily support two teams. we just dont want to.

MLB: Maybe Vegas. Maybe Oklahoma city. Maybe Portland. Thats honestly a toss up. The MLB needs to freshen up how the game is played since it can get boring quickly and attendance shows that people are getting bored.

NHL: Hockey is another tricky sport. But i would say Seattle be the main contender for that one.

NBA: This is a bit easier. I wouldnt expand. I would just move 2 teams. The Clippers need to get out of the Lakers shadow and Sacramento doesnt need the kings. California is over saturated. Move the Kings to Seattle or Vegas and move the Clippers to either San Diego or St. Louis.

MLS: Either Phoenix, San Antonio or Miami.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I think the market is already pretty saturated with teams but heres my take on which markets should receive a team.

NFL: San Antonio for a new fresh market. But. As an Angeleno. San Diego can have the Chargers back. Please take the Chargers back. LA can easily support two teams. we just dont want to.

MLB: Maybe Vegas. Maybe Oklahoma city. Maybe Portland. Thats honestly a toss up. The MLB needs to freshen up how the game is played since it can get boring quickly and attendance shows that people are getting bored.

NHL: Hockey is another tricky sport. But i would say Seattle be the main contender for that one.

NBA: This is a bit easier. I wouldnt expand. I would just move 2 teams. The Clippers need to get out of the Lakers shadow and Sacramento doesnt need the kings. California is over saturated. Move the Kings to Seattle or Vegas and move the Clippers to either San Diego or St. Louis.

The Chargers had nowhere else to go. If they could have built a stadium, it should have been in Anaheim (blah, blah, blah you'll make less money than LA/Inglewood).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
The Chargers had nowhere else to go. If they could have built a stadium, it should have been in Anaheim (blah, blah, blah you'll make less money than LA/Inglewood).
I still find it amazing that a wealthy, growing metro of nearly 4 million has only one professional team, while New Orleans, Columbus and Buffalo (which combined probably don't add up to SD's economy and population) have two teams each.

The Chargers should have built a new stadium in their own city, like most responsible teams. The non-desperate metros rarely give teams much of a subsidy.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

St. Louis isn't much of an NBA town...MLS is such a better fit, especially with the history and culture of soccer here. We just can't get a stadium built right now.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I still find it amazing that a wealthy, growing metro of nearly 4 million has only one professional team, while New Orleans, Columbus and Buffalo (which combined probably don't add up to SD's economy and population) have two teams each.

The Chargers should have built a new stadium in their own city, like most responsible teams. The non-desperate metros rarely give teams much of a subsidy.
There's really no excuse, they could have used the visitor tax (car rentals and hotels) and not taxed locals.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 6:46 AM

Good candidates:

Hockey & basketball: Seattle & San Diego if they manage to build new sports arenas. Talk is increasing that SD may get an arena downtown. So far just talk.

Football: San Antonio or Austin, or stadium somewhere in between that could attract from both cities (New Braunfels or San Marcos). Maybe the Longhorns are enough for Austin, so maybe the team could be in San Antonio. Not all that far from Austin, especially if stadium is built at northern fringe like New Braunfels. Doubt San Diego gets the Chargers back, but if the SDSU West proposal is built on the Qualcomm Stadium site, the stadium could be expanded to enough seats for pro football. But pro football is in decline, with the head injury issue etc. San Diego really wants pro basketball more, and maybe hockey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions