HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:38 PM

Widening of Geneva Road now 50% complete

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...plete.html.csp

The Salt Lake Tribune, Update

By Lee Davidson

A project to widen Geneva Road in Orem from two lanes to five — including a center turn lane — and build a bridge over railroad tracks is now 50 percent complete, according to the Utah Department of Transportation.

The 3.6-mile project between University Parkway and 1600 North began in April and is scheduled for completion next May.

UDOT said utilities have been relocated, and roadbed widening has been completed in many areas.

It said the project to date has employed 220 people and recorded 115,000 work hours. It has moved 200,000 cubic yards of earth and material, the equivalent of 42,000 elephants.

It has placed more than 80,000 square yards of asphalt. It installed 30,000 linear feet of pipe, which UDOT said would be taller than Mount Everest if stacked vertically end to end.

The project also required driving more than 2,000 wood piles. It also placed more than 20,000 square feet of concrete sidewalk and driveways — adding 60 percent more sidewalk than what was previously on Geneva Road.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:44 PM

Despite new owners, Orem foreclosing on project

www.paigeand chris.com

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...dtown.html.csp

By Donald W. Meyers
The Salt Lake Tribune

Orem’s Midtown Village is under new ownership, but the city is moving ahead with its plans to foreclose on the project.

Salt Lake City-based Blackstone Financial Group bought the half-finished, upscale, mixed-use condominium project in late October, acquiring the interests of other investors, according to city officials and Blackstone’s attorney

But don’t expect to see work start right away on the project near Orem’s State Street and 400 South...

Deseret News.com

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 1:21 AM
Development Junkie

Spanish Fork's long-time rumor may finally be coming to fruition; construction of a Costco. Daily Herald article

It may not be a huge thing, but it may be a sign of the economy moving forward locally, in the state, and maybe nationally. Now, as a resident of Spanish Fork, hopefully the Home Depot planned for the same development will move forward soon too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 5:07 PM

NORDSTROM is closing its orem store february 24th....

now, univ mall has ONE anchor after that....your thoughts?
will kohls and H&M come in?
what stores would YOU add that would do well for utah valley?

....if nordstrom cant make it, what will?
bloomingdales is OUT, lord and tayor OUT, marshall fields: HARDLY...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodledoodledude View Post

I think Kohls or H&M would be a great addition to the University Mall and would likely get a lot of traffic, however, I haven't seen a Kohls or a H&M big enough to fit the space that needs to be filled....should be interesting to see what the mall does to get some new tenants.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:37 PM

I think Dillard's, Mervyn's, or JCPenny would be a good fit. Although JCPenny and Dillard's both have stores at Provo Town Center Mall. I wonder if University Mall would be a good location for Neiman Marcus to enter the Utah retail market?

Last edited by Old&New; Dec 3, 2011 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post

I think Dillard's, Mervyn's, or JCPenny would be a good fit. Although JCPenny and Dillard's both have stores at Provo Town Center Mall. I wonder if University Mall would be a good location for Neiman Marcus to enter the Utah retail market?
Mervyn's and JCPenny were both in University Mall before and they both left (JCPenny left to go to Provo Towne, and Nordstrom 'took' the anchor spot that was left--they actually built on a new addition a little further East--Mervyns lasted a little while longer until bankruptcy forced that location closed)...not likely that they will come back. Provo Towne is much too close for a second Dillards in my opinion.

As far as Neiman Marcus, if Nordstrom chooses to pull out I can't imagine Neiman Marcus deciding to move in.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 11:07 PM

Mervyn's is done. There aren't any more Mervyn's stores anywhere. They went the way of Circuit City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyns

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 12:37 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I notice today there is somekind of development taking place at thanksgiving point right behind the hotel near the water tower. I saw a crane and some steal beams rising. Also just south of that there looks to be another office building going up in their little business park since I notice two elevator shaft standing tall.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
I think Kohls or H&M would be a great addition to the University Mall and would likely get a lot of traffic, however, I haven't seen a Kohls or a H&M big enough to fit the space that needs to be filled....should be interesting to see what the mall does to get some new tenants.
How about Von Maur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Mervyn's and JCPenny were both in University Mall before and they both left (JCPenny left to go to Provo Towne, and Nordstrom 'took' the anchor spot that was left--they actually built on a new addition a little further East--Mervyns lasted a little while longer until bankruptcy forced that location closed)...not likely that they will come back. Provo Towne is much too close for a second Dillards in my opinion.

As far as Neiman Marcus, if Nordstrom chooses to pull out I can't imagine Neiman Marcus deciding to move in.
Neiman Marcus or any other new-to-the-market department store could do well there. Nordstrom already has other store locations in the region they may unintentionally be competing with.

Last edited by Old&New; Dec 4, 2011 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 6:28 AM
Development Junkie

Kohls is in the old FredMeyer building east of University Mall; next to Gold's Gym. I don't see them moving.

Maybe H&M will take one space, and Crate and Barrel the other.

The regional manager for Home Depot told me that they we're going to build a store at University Mall near Costco; whether that's south or east, I don't know. But he did say that would be once the economy picked up.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
Kohls is in the old FredMeyer building east of University Mall; next to Gold's Gym. I don't see them moving.

Maybe H&M will take one space, and Crate and Barrel the other.

The regional manager for Home Depot told me that they we're going to build a store at University Mall near Costco; whether that's south or east, I don't know. But he did say that would be once the economy picked up.
Have you ever seen an H&M or Crate and Barrel that big though?? Sure there are some H&Ms out here on the East Coast that have two floors, but each floor is CONSIDERABLY smaller than the space that is available there.

As far as the Neiman Marcus as mentioned previously, it's the wrong location for the first to market. First the malls (Provo Towne and University) deal a lot with a student crowd that typically don't have loads of money to just spend. Second, Utah County as a whole tends to be cheaper both in how much salaries are paid, and how much people are willing to spend. If a Neiman Marcus or Lord and Taylor or something higher end were to come to Utah, they would likely be opening up shop in either Salt Lake County or perhaps Park City before trying to open a store in a college town.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 8:17 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

University Mall looks nice, but it never seems to be very crowded.

If Nordstrom couldn't make it, I wouldn't be so sure another high end department store is going to choose move in to take its place.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 12:22 PM

Kohls would have gladly filled the Mervyn's vacancy had Mervyn's bankruptcy and exit been timed a little later. However, Kohls took the defunct Fred Meyer next door and redeveloped that space.

This is really a quandry for the University Mall right now. The former Mervyn's space is still vacant, and now Nordstrom is leaving too. It's strange, because it was a profitable store. Perhaps, not as profitable as some others, but it was profitable. This leads me to believe that perhaps Nordstrom will announce a Nordstrom Rack, which I think would be an excellent move for that particular Mall. If Woodbury can reconfigure the Nordstrom space in to two or three mid size stores, such as H & M, Nordstrom Rack, etc. that would be a bit of progress for that mall in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 6:42 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodledoodledude View Post

A friend of mine says she's losing her job on Feb 24th. She's hoping her manager gets transferred to the new City Creek store, so she can land a job up there. Even at Nordstrom retail pay (which ain't great), she says she wouldn't mind commuting an hour a day just to work at the new store.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
A friend of mine says she's losing her job on Feb 24th. She's hoping her manager gets transferred to the new City Creek store, so she can land a job up there. Even at Nordstrom retail pay (which ain't great), she says she wouldn't mind commuting an hour a day just to work at the new store.
You should encourage your friend to move into an apartment at CCC, or at least use the train (frontrunner) when it comes online.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 9:39 PM
Wen Lambo

I think Macy's should relocate out of their 40 yr old, run down space into the newer Nordstrom building. Then the Univ Mall owners can redevelop the west side of the mall and make better use of the State St./Univ Pkwy frontage and put in a Crate & Barrel and restaurant or two.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
I think Macy's should relocate out of their 40 yr old, run down space into the newer Nordstrom building. Then the Univ Mall owners can redevelop the west side of the mall and make better use of the State St./Univ Pkwy frontage and put in a Crate & Barrel and restaurant or two.
Is the Macy's Store really run down?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:40 AM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
That's a great idea. I just wonder if Macys would be willing to give up their "corner lot" (University Parkway and State St.).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 7:16 AM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Is the Macy's Store really run down?
It just feels dated and doesn't make the best use of space (that said, i've never really worked in retail, so that is just my opinion).

You can tell it is a dept. store from the early 70's like the ones in the old Crossroads/ZCMI center malls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West