HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 12:36 PM

Toronto is at 47 i think

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 8:32 PM

48, next one last night.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 6:30 AM
be nice to the crackheads

The rising murder rate in Surrey has caused the citizens of the city to speak up.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 7:29 AM
BANNED

For the second year in a row MTL had no murders in the month of June.
I think we’re still at 11.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 8:44 AM

Pretty highly publicized double homicide on Queen St at 8PM last night.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradFromTO View Post
Pretty highly publicized double homicide on Queen St at 8PM last night.
Police looking for a black Bentley reportedly seen speeding from the scene. Even in Toronto, that can't be a big investigative challenge!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 3:38 PM

Toronto is having a very violent year. The second person to die in that shooting marks this city's 50th homicide at the midway point of the year. Given that homicides tend to spike in summertime, and we have about 2.5 months of hot weather ahead of us, I wouldn't be surprised if we top 100 murders by the end of 2018. I'm pretty sure this would be a new record.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Toronto is having a very violent year. The second person to die in that shooting marks this city's 50th homicide at the midway point of the year. Given that homicides tend to spike in summertime, and we have about 2.5 months of hot weather ahead of us, I wouldn't be surprised if we top 100 murders by the end of 2018. I'm pretty sure this would be a new record.
If it's like that, Toronto's murder rate might be higher than New York City's, which has dropped considerably in recent years (New York City had around 290 murders in 2017).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 10:56 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

The current record is 89 and was set in 1991 (when the city had 2.3 million people). It's possible that 2018 will surpass that number, though I don't think the next half of the year will necessarily mirror the violence of the last half - keeping in mind that the current total of 50 includes the 10 people killed in the van attack, as well as the 8 victims of Bruce McArthur discovered this year (even though they were presumably murdered in previous years).

Take those two incidences away and it'd be a slightly above-average year.

Side note: I hadn't realized until now that one of the victims of last night's shooting was up-and-coming local rapper Smoke Dawg.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The current record is 89 and was set in 1991 (when the city had 2.3 million people). It's possible that 2018 will surpass that number, though I don't think the next half of the year will necessarily mirror the violence of the last half - keeping in mind that the current total of 50 includes the 10 people killed in the van attack, as well as the 8 victims of Bruce McArthur discovered this year (even though they were presumably murdered in previous years).

Side note: I hadn't realized until now that one of the victims of last night's shooting was up-and-coming local rapper Smoke Dawg.
The 8 McArthur victims are not included in the (now) 51, a guy who was stabbed Sunday morning died. TPS adds to year in which the murder occurred.

MTL may have 2 more. A body was found in the river in May and a body was found in a parking lot last night. No word yet as to the cause of death in either case.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:21 AM

Queen West last night and 4 people shot at Kensington today - something is seriously going on in this city. Are these random shootings (gang initiations or something?) or targeted hits? Honestly a bit scary.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 6:34 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
Queen West last night and 4 people shot at Kensington today - something is seriously going on in this city. Are these random shootings (gang initiations or something?) or targeted hits? Honestly a bit scary.
If Toronto Police is struggling with these cases, perhaps it’s time to ask OPP for help? It might show incompetence, but c’mon we want these culprits locked up for a good while.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 7:25 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
Drug trade related gang rivalry between 2 gangs in Regent Park area, Jamaicans/Afro-Canadians vs Somalis. Don't ask me how I know this lol

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Yeah, he just filmed a video in Alexandra Park where he had beef with some folks...looks like they escalated it :/.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 10:54 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Drug trade related gang rivalry between 2 gangs in Regent Park area, Jamaicans/Afro-Canadians vs Somalis. Don't ask me how I know this lol
There's an ongoing beef between gangs in Regent Park and Alexandra Park. Word is that Smoke Dawg (who is from Regent) further aggravated the situation by shooting a rap video in Alexandra Park.

This is the video:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:11 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Some of you guys might have heard about the joint-effort drug bust in NYC a while back, where the confiscated fentanyl was enough to kill 32M people.

Then a conjecture came to my mind as I was eating my late dinner (2 pieces of toasted bread + honey):
These drug crises that are happening in Canada, could they be (seen as) a different form of terrorism (almost)?

These drugs in question are getting more and more lethal to the point that we're counting the fatal amount in nano-grams.

Also, casualty's massive.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
If it's like that, Toronto's murder rate might be higher than New York City's, which has dropped considerably in recent years (New York City had around 290 murders in 2017).
I believe that if you extrapolate the number of murders so far in both cities over the entire year, Toronto at the moment has a higher per capita homicide rate than NYC.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
There's an ongoing beef between gangs in Regent Park and Alexandra Park. Word is that Smoke Dawg (who is from Regent) further aggravated the situation by shooting a rap video in Alexandra Park.
I know this isn't what you're saying, but I do hope people feel as strongly as I do that the idea that certain groups of people can't go in one part of the city is total bullshit that has no place in a civilized society.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I'm wondering if this is related to the takedown two weeks ago of the so-called Five Point Generalz? Perhaps a vacuum has been created in the drug trade that other gangs are trying to fill?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:01 AM

As a person that has grown up in a community with a decent amount of gang violence I (absolutely) have a more extreme bias against them, even more so given that I know and knew people who were victimized/strongly affected by that violence. I think people in gangs should be shown no mercy in the courts system, they have chosen a lifestyle that does not belong in a civilized society and I think they should be expelled from the country. I also believe several social movements have made police far more hesitant to act (particularily in problem areas: large amount of minorities and such) and have resulted in more brazen violence. The police needs to step up and do their jobs or people will begin to feel unsafe if they still feel safe as of now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada