HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:00 AM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | Austin Proper | 397 FEET | 32 FLOORS | Complete

http://skift.com/2015/01/21/viceroy-...-hotels-brand/
Quote:
Viceroy Hotels’ Founder to Launch New Proper Hotels Brand

Greg Oates, Skift

With the rise of so-called urban “innovation districts” rearranging so many downtown cores so quickly, there’s been a lack of hotel product to keep pace that aligns with the startup and creative professional crowds swarming to them.

In Austin, scheduled for opening in mid-2017, the Austin Proper will be a new 35-story, 250-room contemporary high-rise hotel. It’s located at the Green Water Treatment Plant redevelopment that’s extending the borders of Austin’s buzzy 2nd Street District.

“Green Water Treatment Plant is a great example of an innovation district,” says De Lowe. “It’s a warehouse district that’s now the center of the booming downtown Austin area in the southwest quadrant that’s walkable with great retail, offices and restaurants, etc.”

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:23 PM
lurker

well i wonder how their financing is. I REALLY like the building and i want it built!

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:14 PM

I want to live in this thing.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:50 PM
Resident Moron

Love the odd-angled set-backs here. Has a ton of personality. I actually hope the color holds, though it could just be for the render.

Reminds me of a cross between the Pyramid in NYC on 57th and something out of Mirror's Edge.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Love the odd-angled set-backs here. Has a ton of personality. I actually hope the color holds, though it could just be for the render.

Reminds me of a cross between the Pyramid in NYC on 57th and something out of Mirror's Edge.
Agreed. DT needs lighter colors to offset all the dark. I really like the colors of Vancouver's skyline. Hopefully ATX will trend that way.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:42 PM
Meh

Yeah, I think the color in the model would complement 360, Seaholm and Northshore.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 8:53 PM

This is in my top 5 like Frost, Monarch, Seven, Austonian for our city, this will be nice smallish building tucked in there, kinda like Spring only slightly bigger (wide not tall). Good thing for the condo buyers is that that view to the hill country will remain as the new Austin Library, and Power plant are what would be in its immediate view.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 8:58 PM

Bring this on, Baby!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 10:23 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
This is in my top 5 like Frost, Monarch, Seven, Austonian for our city, this will be nice smallish building tucked in there, kinda like Spring only slightly bigger (wide not tall). Good thing for the condo buyers is that that view to the hill country will remain as the new Austin Library, and Power plant are what would be in its immediate view.
If you meant the electrical substation when you referenced the "power plant." the city is slowly downsizing that Austin Energy substation.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 8:13 AM

The designer is Handel Architects. Here's a link to their website and their Facebook page

So far, nothing about this project on either page.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:56 PM

Nothing yet about Austin but my oh my do they have an impressive portfolio of buildings! For instance they're the team behind two Millenium Towers, one completed in San Francisco and one under construction in Boston, that are or will be among each cities tallest, as well many many more buildings across the globe. Granted the Austin building, if it comes to fruition, (and boy do I hope it does!) will just be status quo from a height perspective. However, it will certainly stand out from a design perspective. And, once completed it'll anchor what looks to be the most dense cluster of hi-rises in our downtown. Granted that'll be right around 400 ft, but a nice canyon effect nonetheless. I cannot wait to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
The designer is Handel Architects. Here's a link to their website and their Facebook page

So far, nothing about this project on either page.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 8:31 PM
Honored Member

What is the building shown immediately to the south, across 2nd and immediately west of Northshore? Has that been approved, and do we have a page for it?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 8:36 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
What is the building shown immediately to the south, across 2nd and immediately west of Northshore? Has that been approved, and do we have a page for it?
It's supposed to be basically a twin for Northshore. We don't yet have a concrete design.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
The map labels it as "residential"

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 7:47 PM
JACKinBeantown

I like it. I think it's one of the better recent proposals for Austin. Hope it gets built.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 9:23 PM

the "big picture" planning of the 4 blocks was smart in that the
southern 2 block have towers running N/S and the northern 2 block have towers running
E/W.
That allows for the most views possible of the river AND Hills.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 12:50 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I hope the tower next to Northshore won't be a twin. Northshore isn't a bad tower design wise. It's grown on me especially since they changed the color from brown to white but having a second one would be too much.

It would be nice if it was a signature tower with a unique design yet would still complement the neighboring towers.

There's no doubt that when all is said and done this will be the densest area in terms of tower clustering. Although if those projects on the east edge of DT by Fairmont get going, that area could challenge it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 1:21 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I hope the tower next to Northshore won't be a twin. Northshore isn't a bad tower design wise. It's grown on me especially since they changed the color from brown to white but having a second one would be too much.

It would be nice if it was a signature tower with a unique design yet would still complement the neighboring towers.

There's no doubt that when all is said and done this will be the densest area in terms of tower clustering. Although if those projects on the east edge of DT by Fairmont get going, that area could challenge it.
I agree. I'm not a fan of twin towers at all.

What I'd really like is something outstandingly and outlandishly colorful... like, say, William Beaver House or Hotel Porta Fira.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:03 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I agree. I'm not a fan of twin towers at all.

What I'd really like is something outstandingly and outlandishly colorful... like, say, William Beaver House or Hotel Porta Fira.
OMFG, I wasn't familiar with either but I just looked at pics and wow, that would be epic to have something worthy of global recognition like that. Not that I care so much about the recognition, I'd really just love to see some more adventurous architecture, provided that it wouldn't block, or detract from, the view of the Proper.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:08 AM
Meh

Those buildings look like they're poisonous. lol

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin