HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:57 PM

I used to play Sim City all the time back in the day. I'm happy to see something even bigger and better come along. I'm on 'er!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 10:35 PM
Unregistered Loser

I agree it's much better than the latest Simcity. Fact is, EA recently closed Maxis, the maker of Simcity, so it's no longer in development.

For anyone who wants to make a map, there is a height map import tool. Go to http://terrain.party/http:// to get you map. I can see you Monctonians getting into this if you haven't already. I think you need to d/l a topo map.

Water is a bit tricky though.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 11:30 PM

I'm also going to be checking this out in the near future. The number of high-rise buildings seems to be a little high compared to population size, but the general simulation seems strong and will definitely improve with custom content. I still love to fire up SC4 in my spare time, and Atlantic Canadian cities always have a heavy influence in my layouts.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 12:26 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Yup, lots of SimCity fans here, perhaps unsurprisingly. I know of quite a few current/former Simtropolis members who are now active on SSP

I haven't been this hyped about a citybuilder game since the SC4 days (pretty much everything after that has been a huge letdown). I've seen Skylines in action, but am holding off on binge-playing it myself until my new PC arrives later this month. Can't wait!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 12:32 AM

Myself, Ayronaut, and Jeddy1989 have been playing the new cities game (Ayro has the skylines addon too) and it's definitely way better than the new Sim City game. Haven't worked on a custom map for St. John's yet, but I'm sure it'd be worth the time to make one.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 6:25 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Confirming what we've known since 1867....

Quote:
Air Canada ad suggests Atlantic Canada is a separate country
We're vying for a spot on the United Nations Security Council
CBC News Posted: Mar 25, 2015 11:51 AM AT Last Updated: Mar 25, 2015 2:13 PM AT

Remember to get your Canadian dollars changed over to East Coast pesos.

Haven't you heard? Atlantic Canada is separate from the rest of Canada, according to an Air Canada ad.

The graphic was sent out in an email, advertising savings on a flight "between Canada and Atlantic Canada."

Needless to say, the ad was met with a massive eye roll from Canadians, yes Canadians, in the Maritimes and Newfoundland and Labrador.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ntry-1.3008809

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:51 PM

VIVA LA REVOLUCION !

Quebec made leaving Canada seem so hard, we apparently did it by accident.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:32 PM
ハルウララ

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle23554298/

Quote:
How the Maritimes became Canada’s incredible shrinking region
The cause of that storm is no mystery; governments have been grappling with it for years. “Everyone knows what the problem is,” says Peter McKenna, head of political science at UPEI. “It’s just that no one knows what to do about it.”

Because of their fading economies, PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are running out of people like Mireyne MacMillan. Last year, 1,000 more people left PEI for other parts of Canada than arrived from them. The population of Nova Scotia has been falling since 2011, when it peaked at 948,000; over the next two decades, another 20,000 people are expected to leave. New Brunswick is in similar straits. Between the middle of 2012 and the middle of last year, the population dropped by almost 2,000, to 754,524.

But the real problem is the makeup of the population that remains. Every year – due to a weakening economy, a dearth of immigrants, and a population reluctant to face these problems – there are fewer workers to pay taxes and more old people in need of government services.

Within five years, a provincial study predicts, the working-age population of New Brunswick will have declined by 30,000, again largely due to the exodus of younger workers, even as 50,000 more people pass the age of 65. A provincial commission in Nova Scotia forecasts that, within 20 years, that province’s working-age population will have declined by 100,000, or about 20 per cent.

The trend may seem familiar – “going down the road” to find work is a Maritime tradition – but the tipping point is approaching rapidly, says Marco Navarro-Génie, president of the Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, a conservative think tank located in Halifax. “We have an economic crisis on the horizon,” he says.

Who will pay for the health care of a population with so many seniors and so few workers? Who will purchase the houses going up for sale? Who will buy the new cars, the appliances, the children’s clothing – all the things that families need when starting out? How far will children have to be bused to the few remaining schools?

Such a future can have only one outcome: slashed health care, education and other social services; ever greater departures by anyone able to escape the vortex; rural towns that become ghost towns; growing provincial deficits and debts, along with steadily reduced credit ratings that will increase borrowing costs.

Disaster looms unless Maritimers work together to reverse the slide – and, in some respects, adjust their thinking.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:36 PM

Rural High Speed Internet access

Curious
What is the availability of wifi in rural areas.
I am looking at: say New Germany and the area between Digby and Yarmouth?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

You might be better off posting this query in the [Halifax] subsection, as the general Atlantic Canadian section is mostly frequented by New Brunswickers (and to a lesser extent Prince Edward Islanders and Newfoundlanders.

Nevertheless, here is a link for you, listing the rural broadband suppliers in Nova Scotia. Apparently there is 99% coverage of rural NS by broadband suppliers.

http://www.novascotia.ca/econ/broadb...county_map.asp

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:10 PM
ハルウララ

Moved query to Community Thread.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 2:14 PM

Is anybody planning on bringing their munchkins to the AMAZEatorium next weekend?

I'll be there running workshops and building a biggish Lego model of a CX-5 for the Mazda dealer. As well as helping out Robin Sather with a big build at Brunswick Square on Thursday.

Should be a good time!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Happy Canada Day everyone from Ottawa.

I will be on the Hill tonight for the concert and the fireworks.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 1:47 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Canada anyone familiar with Saint John tell me if there's anything there worth seeing or doing? I haven't been there since I was maybe 4 or 5 and I thought about going back for a visit but I always assumed it wouldn't be interesting enough to justify the amount of driving. But after one of the forumers from NFLD started harping about how wonderful it is, it makes me consider driving up for the day.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 5:09 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'm sure there must be someone with some info about Saint John!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 11:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think all the Saint Johnner's must be at the Balloon Fiesta in Sussex this weekend.

If I were you, I would just soak in the ambience of the best preserved late Victorian/Edwardian downtown core in the country. You could spend a whole afternoon just walking the streets in around Market Square, King Street, King's Square, the Loyalist Burial Ground and the Trinity Royal district. Germain Street is particularly nice. Several building s have been, or are in the process of being restored and repurposed as downtown condo developments etc.

As an urban enthusiast, I'm sure you would find this quite interesting - enjoy!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 1:21 AM

'Fraid I haven't been down to SJ enough to know what to do one way or another. In fact it's been years I think since I was down there. So no advice I can give.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 1:54 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I wish I had known about the balloon festival as I would have went on the weekend rather than planning for Monday.

Oh well. I'm sure walking around Saint John might be nice as well.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 2:14 AM
ハルウララ

Asking in the Saint John thread might have gotten you more responses.

Hit up the Uptown, in particular City Market, the Old Loyalist House, Imperial Theatre, King's Square, and Market Square. Go to Fort Howe, Martello Tower, and Rockwood Park. You can spend an entire day just getting lost in Rockwood.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 2:23 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I didn't see a general topics Saint John thread. All I saw was a development thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces