HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, with the recent changes to the grocery and gas business, Co-op Atlantic has just laid off 400 workers.

Not surprisingly, Moncton has been badly hit with 250 job losses (mostly warehousing and corporate).

It always seems like it's two steps forward and one & a half steps back around here. We gain about 350-400 jobs between Cabela's and BPS but lose 250 at Co-op.

It's damned frustrating........
Now I'm really hoping for the new stores rumored to be coming. or the expansion of businesses already in the area. Canadian Tire is supposed to be moving to the old Zellers/Target location bigger store might add a few more jobs, and there is supposed to be more expansion in the Harisville area... This would be a great time for companies like Woolworth/Wolco, Eaton's, Simpsons, Sams Club, and other retailers of that magnitude to either not have sold out, or gone bankrupt.

On a separate note: The Berry mills Height Community center has been out of use for 10 years. They are asking for the government to pay 10,000$ for much needed repairs... I don't think it should be resurrected but if it is to be they should get someone who calls people back to handle the bookings for events. The person in charge has been known to only rent it out to people they know instead of people willing to rent it out, and It's BS. If the community center was Managed better they would have had that money for the bills, and renovations/fixes needed...

Last edited by Scarface; Jun 26, 2015 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 12:23 PM

anyone here about the Beautification of St George Street. Last year they talked about it, and this year they are marking stuff out... They have trees planted "offsite" then once grown they will be planted at various "should be green" areas on either side of St George. I'm wondering if this will be done or not. Since it's been in planing stages for 2 years.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 3:52 PM

They're adding planters & trees at Botsford and Church this year. They're also restoring the concrete wall along O'Brien and adding an ornament on top.

Paywalled T&T article: https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...ay-to-beautify

T&T has a deal worth taking on this summer at http://ttsummer.ca. $26+tax for 3 months, which also gets you 2 movie admission tickets as well as 2 Magic Mountain tickets. I'll cancel when my 3 months are up because I'd never realized before how much little content of value they offer. Free publicity and a public bashing in one shot.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
They're adding planters & trees at Botsford and Church this year. They're also restoring the concrete wall along O'Brien and adding an ornament on top.

Paywalled T&T article: https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...ay-to-beautify
Hopefully they don't use black mulch in there planters that has never worked well since black mulch has been known to catch fire...

But do hope the city does something nice, and people don't wreck it...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 6:44 PM

New Brunswick submitting bid for 2021 Francophone Games

The province of New Brunswick is submitting a bid to host the Francophone Games in 2021.

The games are considered the biggest sports and cultural event in the French-speaking world.

New Brunswick's bid proposes the games be held in Moncton and Dieppe.

www.cbc.ca

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 7:29 PM

Was about to post this. I'm not a huge fan of this type of event, but I did some poking around and it appears that winning the bid would be a pretty big deal: the games are only held every 4 years, and in 2013 (Nice, France), they hosted 2,749 athletes. For comparison, the 2010 World Junior Championships hosted 1,450 athletes, the winter Olympics last hosted 2,784 in Sochi, and the Commonwealth Games last hosted 4,749 in Glasgow. According to Wikipedia, the 2013 event had a tv viewership of 80 million people.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 12:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's the government press release:

New Brunswick will vie to host the (World) Francophonie Games in 2021
03 July 2015

FREDERICTON (GNB) – The provincial government will submit the candidacy of the cities of Dieppe and Moncton to host the 2021 edition of the Games of La Francophonie.

A local committee is working with the government to prepare the bid that will be submitted to the International Organization of la Francophonie by the end of July.

Both municipalities have officially given their support to the project.

“This international event would showcase our province, particularly our Acadian and francophone community,” said Premier Brian Gallant. “It is also an event that would directly create more than one hundred jobs during the Games.”
The Games are the largest sports and cultural event of the Francophonie and are dedicated to young people. They are held every four years in the year following the Summer Olympics and host some of the best athletes in the world. They were first held in Morocco in 1989. Canada hosted the event in 2001, in Ottawa, Ont. and Gatineau, Que. The next Games will be in Côte d’Ivoire in 2017.

The event will be spread over about 10 days. The economic impact of the Games is substantial. It is expected that the 2021 games will attract more than 3,000 athletes from nearly 60 countries. If New Brunswick hosts in 2021, the impact is assessed at $25 million, of which $22 million would likely benefit the two host cities. Businesses and service providers in the region can expect significant economic activity related to the presence of the participants.
The proposal must receive approval from the federal government.

“Preliminary discussions regarding the candidacy of the cities of Dieppe and Moncton have been taking place for months with the federal government, specifically with the Office of the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, Christian Paradis,” Gallant said.

New Brunswick has hosted several international events and sport competitions, including the Francophonie Summit in 1999, the World Junior Track and Field Championships in 2010, the World U20 FIFA women's championship in 2014 and most recently, several matches of the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Three bids will be retained by the selection committee this fall. The final choice will be made in the fall of 2016.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 12:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Did some digging:

It appears that the Francophonie Games are considerably more limited in scope (and more modest) than the Commonwealth or Pan Am Games. It also appears that competition is limited to French speaking athletes. Canada has traditionally been represented by three teams (Quebec, NB & franco-ROC). Belgian participation is limited to Wallonia.

Wikipedia lists the following sports that have been included in the Francophonie Games in the past:

Athletics: 1989, 1994, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2013
Basketball: 1989, 1994, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2013
Beach volleyball: 2001, 2009
Boxing: 1997, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2013
Cycling: 2013
Disabled sports: 2001, 2009
Football: 1989, 1994, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2013
Handball: 1994
Judo: 1989, 1994, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2013
Table tennis: 1994, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2013
Tennis: 1997
Wrestling: 1994, 2005, 2013

So it would appear that there will not be a great requirement for new sports infrastructure to host this event (such as a new Olympic swimming and diving complex). Athletics would be held at the Moncton Stadium. Most other competitions could be accommodated by the CEPS, the Coliseum and the events centre (if built). Cycling is a sport, so a new velodrome is possible but there is already an outdoor velodrome in Dieppe. If the competitors don't mind competing in the elements, I suppose they could use that.

If we win the right to host this event, I could see some upgrades to the Moncton Stadium and possibly a new velodrome, but that would be about it......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 5, 2015 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Come to think of it, since this is an international amateur athletic event, I wonder if the city could convince the feds that some belated funding for the events centre will be necessary to make this event a success. It wouldn't hurt to try this argument on them at least.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 12:32 PM

According to Radio-Canada, athletics would in fact take place at UdeM, while the cultural component would take place in downtown Dieppe.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...runswick.shtml

The cycling event is road cycling, so the velodrome wouldn't be needed. In Nice, the women's event was 96 km and the men's was 120.6 km, so we can extrapolate that it was a 24 km loop. We'd likely get a few resurfaced roads in order to provide a continuous stretch of suitable tarmac.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Link to the .pdf of the agenda for the July meeting of the Moncton PAC

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Residen...PAC+Agenda.pdf

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:05 AM

From the Conference Board of Canada:

Most of Canada's Medium-Sized Metropolitan Economies Poised to Show Modest Improvement in 2015

Quote:
Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, Abbotsford-Mission and Moncton will boast the fastest growing economies this year.

Moncton’s real GDP is forecast to rise by a 10-year high of 3 per cent this year thanks to healthy gains in manufacturing and the broader services sector. The solid economy will translate into decent job and income gains, which should encourage consumers to continue spending.
Press release: http://www.conferenceboard.ca/press/...t_in_2015.aspx

Full report (paywall): http://www.conferenceboard.ca/e-libr....aspx?did=7191

T&T article (paywall): https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...oised-economic

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 1:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, there may be changes afoot at the Exxon/Mobil business support centre here in Moncton.

Apparently they are opening a new centre in India that will impact worldwide back office operations (keep in mind that when you call such a centre, you may in fact not be talking to "Steve in Omaha", you may in fact be conversing with Rakesh from Bangalore - people in these call centres are trained to conceal where they actually work).

There are currently 900 people employed with Exxon/Mobil in Moncton. Apparently the new reorganization will impact upon 20-25% of "transactions" conducted at the Moncton centre. I suppose this could mean up to 200 job losses, but the Exxon spokesperson apparently stated that some operations may in fact be relocated to Moncton to compensate, so the overall impact could be less. Exxon says they are "committed" to Moncton. Only time will tell what will ultimately happen.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 2:05 PM

Fingers crossed that the impact isn't too bad. I may be wrong, but from what I understand, companies like us for call centres because of the Time Zone and bilingualism (and that we are relatively cheap; but not as cheap as India granted). Hopefully those pluses are enough to minimize the changes.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 4:41 AM

With all the latest backlash in the past few years from other major corporations in Canada who have made similar decisions to move certain operations overseas, I'm surprise that the trend continues.

Not only does it diminishes the moral of the whole internal staff organization, loyal customers and clients also respond negatively to such decisions.

Is it really worth the bad press, client losses, staff leaving in fear of future job losses, the price of retraining and contracting out these jobs to save money on the bottom line?

From my perspective, these kind of corporate decisions are signs of last resort business decisions to reduce cost.

As a customer, who have experience poor customer service from obvious support from overseas many time, and I'm sure we've all been there before, it just ticks me off! Please don't get me wrong, I do support diversity in the work place to the fullest. Shipping jobs overseas for telephone support to save a few bucks is not right. IMO.

Rant over.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 5:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

$3.3 million for public transit, road work in Moncton
31 July 2015
MONCTON (GNB)

Infrastructure investments for projects totaling $3.3 million were announced today in Moncton.

“These infrastructure investments will help to ensure a safe and efficient public transit system in the City Moncton, while also making important improvements to Shediac Road,” said Environment and Local Government Minister Brian Kenny. “The municipality and the province are working in partnership with the federal government to support travel, economic activity and jobs in this region.”
The city is receiving federal and provincial funding for the installation of onboard surveillance cameras for the city’s bus fleet and terminals, improvements to infrastructure at passenger terminals, and a new collection system for fares. Shediac Road will also be widened to improve traffic flow into the downtown.

The provincial and federal governments and the city are each contributing $1.1 million toward the four projects.

The $1.1M federal contribution is considered "in kind" as far as the events centre funding is concerned, pushing the total federal money contributed in this way to about $20M.

I wonder where on Shediac Road they are planning the widening to improve traffic flow? I would presume in the south end around Lewisville Road, but I don't know for sure.......

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 1:29 PM

Hi there!

New to this forum. Just wondering if you guys had any clue as to what is coming to the new strip mall behing the StarBucks on Elmwood Dr.?? There doesn't seem to be any signs ..

Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine1073 View Post
Hi there!

New to this forum. Just wondering if you guys had any clue as to what is coming to the new strip mall behing the StarBucks on Elmwood Dr.?? There doesn't seem to be any signs ..

Thanks!
Welcome! All I know is, the original plan was for a StarBucks and two multi-unit buildings including a bank. Those plans changed and the single mini-mall was built. The only rumour I heard since was a Freddy's Pizza, but that hasn't happened yet.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Welcome! All I know is, the original plan was for a StarBucks and two multi-unit buildings including a bank. Those plans changed and the single mini-mall was built. The only rumour I heard since was a Freddy's Pizza, but that hasn't happened yet.
The Strip where Starbucks is that the old Price Chopper location is it not? Either way I find it strange that there is nothing announced for it yet. You would think they would not build it then hope tenants show up.

While I'm here I'd also like to ask/point out does anyone know what is going to be going up, at the old car auction lot going up mountain Rd. Last I heard it was either being sold, or already sold to whom ever owns the property right next door to it. I don't see another commercial strip mall going up but never really know.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 12:06 PM

Work is underway at the Centennial Park Entrance to align the road/entrance so that it will not be as confusing for out of towners when they are entering or leaving the park it will also help locals who don't seem to know what lanes go into what direction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces