HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:11 PM

Related to population growth/decline, I think it's interesting that people dump on cities out east for being "old", despite that their populations are mostly close to, or even below, the national median, age-wise.

The way people talk about Halifax, for example, you'd think it was a retirement community with close to zero population growth. (Just the other day at work, in reference to a comment about Halifax having high newspaper readership, a colleague said, "Well, old people read the paper, and Halifax is full of old people!")

But whenever I look at stats like these, it always looks to me like they should replace "Halifax" with "Victoria." That town is old as dirt, and growing at a crawl. Statistically, it IS what people only think our cities are.

But, it is true that while our age stats are decent, that's due to a relative lack of senior citizens, rather than a bunch of young people--we have a lot of middle aged folks. Our proportion of people under 15 is still a bit below the norm, which doesn't bode well for the next generation. For example: Halifax is slightly younger than Vancouver but the proportion of under-15s is greater in the latter city, which means Halifax is likely to slip below Vancouver in the next decade or so.

St. John's is similar, I think, as is Moncton.

We definitely need A: Young families to move here/stay here, and B: New immigrants to bring the under-15 numbers back up and ensure a larger population of reproductive age in future.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 11:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moneysense magazine has come out with their annual listing of the best (and worst) places to live in Canada. Here is how Atlantic Canadian cities fared for 2015:

#28 - Moncton NB
#67 - Halifax NS
#85 - Fredericton NB
#93 - Charlottetown PE
#94 - St. John's NL

#137 - Corner Brook NL
#162 - Saint John NB
#181 - Grand Falls/Windsor NL
#185 - Edmundston NB
#194 - Summerside PE
#195 - Kentville NS
#196 - Bathurst NB

#201 - Campbellton NB
#204 - Miramichi NB
#205 - Cape Breton RM NS
#206 - Bay Roberts NL
#208 - Truro NS
#209 - New Glasgow NS (dead last)

http://www.moneysense.ca/canadas-bes...-full-ranking/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 11:57 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The Q1 population stats are out and as I thought, Atlantic Canada population is stalled with the up and down I'm slowly becoming accustomed to. It really hurts that we can't keep young people here. I'm 24 and doing fine. Between me and my boyfriend we make a very healthy living (he is 25).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
The Q1 population stats are out and as I thought, Atlantic Canada population is stalled with the up and down I'm slowly becoming accustomed to. It really hurts that we can't keep young people here. I'm 24 and doing fine. Between me and my boyfriend we make a very healthy living (he is 25).
It saddens me as well to see populations stagnant. My wife and I moved to Saskatchewan last year, and it was not due to us not being able to make a living (we were very comfortable). However there was no room for advancement unless I were to become bilingual. So the options were to stay and be content in the province I love, or do the same job for double the money and make a new home (outside of Saskatoon). There were few reasons to stay in NB. I have already had one promotion, and I am in Healthcare so no oil boom and bust. It is also nice not to hear doom and gloom about populations and debt every time I turn on the CBC. I hope the Maritimes gets off their collective butts and does something to slow the bleeding. It was not long ago that Saskatchewan was in the same place that NB is in.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 9:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

We can stop the bleeding with two words - shale gas.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

We can stop the bleeding with two words - shale gas.
Is shale gas really expected to be this much of a game changer for NB? I mean, it sure would be nice to have a silver bullet to cure the provinces economical woes, but I wonder if the hype is justified. Potentially how large of an industry are we talking about?

Nfld and Labrador's offshore oil industry did help its economy, but the population is still stagnating.

I can't believe we'll see Prairie-style growth stem from this, which is what some people seem to believe from listening to them boast about it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Is shale gas really expected to be this much of a game changer for NB? I mean, it sure would be nice to have a silver bullet to cure the provinces economical woes, but I wonder if the hype is justified. Potentially how large of an industry are we talking about?

Nfld and Labrador's offshore oil industry did help its economy, but the population is still stagnating.

I can't believe we'll see Prairie-style growth stem from this, which is what some people seem to believe from listening to them boast about it.
I'm not sure it would help as much as people seem to think there are lots more problems then just industry in this province. We need to fix all of them if we want people to live here, and work. don't we have of of the lowest minimum wages in the country to follow with are lack of jobs, and also majority of out jobs are seasonally based. If we would have ways to keep jobs all year round in this province it would help. otherwise To other provinces where there are more jobs, and better pay. That's what people are doing now.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Shale gas certainly isn't the entire answer, but it will help to kickstart the economy. It needs to be bolstered by the Energy East pipeline and the Sisson Mb/W mine.

We can't hang our hat entirely on non renewable resources though. This province needs to urbanize rapidly and develop an economy based on the knowledge industry. Manufacturing also has a part to play, and it is already surprising how much more robust manufacturing is in NB compared to NS.

In all cases, we need full time jobs. Part time seasonal jobs just don't cut it any more. What does this mean to our fishing industry? Nothing good I'll bet. Our fishery is mostly inshore and heavily reliant on shellfish. As such, the fishery will remain part time and seasonal. Jobs in the fish plants will also be seasonal. Maybe we should let foreign workers man the plants so that native born NBers can concentrate on getting full time jobs in one of the three cities......

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:25 AM

Quote:

We can't hang our hat entirely on non renewable resources though. This province needs to urbanize rapidly and develop an economy based on the knowledge industry.
This is talked about a lot on this forum and there is no denying it. Urbanization is a natural tendency everywhere. There are a lot of obstacles in NB which can slow this tendency, such as a majority rural population and strong regionalism sentiments. I'm sure government policy could help things along, but I doubt we'll see any leadership at all on this issue. Instead, better make sure that every corner of the province receives exactly the same government investments regardless of economic potential and without a comprehensive plan.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 4:31 AM

shale gas would probably help NB, but we do need a strong government willing to take a stand and bring the cities in line when needed. Moncton's tri-cities should have been merged long ago, as should SJ's bunch of cities. Even Freddy's getting near the point where it should be forced to gobble up Lincoln, Hanwell, Maryland, etc... When (if) the cities are merged, then there should probably be a green zone set up around them to limit sprawl and force it to be within the current boundaries (if not smaller)

And on top of that, as mentioned the rural aspect needs to be rolled back. Don't try to save every little village; save the hubs. In that respect, we've been seeing that happen more and more, with those smaller communities merging together in the past few years.

As for the northern cities, I'm not sure what could be done for them; they are between a rock and a hard place as far as future potential goes.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
shale gas would probably help NB, but we do need a strong government willing to take a stand and bring the cities in line when needed. Moncton's tri-cities should have been merged long ago, as should SJ's bunch of cities. Even Freddy's getting near the point where it should be forced to gobble up Lincoln, Hanwell, Maryland, etc... When (if) the cities are merged, then there should probably be a green zone set up around them to limit sprawl and force it to be within the current boundaries (if not smaller)

And on top of that, as mentioned the rural aspect needs to be rolled back. Don't try to save every little village; save the hubs. In that respect, we've been seeing that happen more and more, with those smaller communities merging together in the past few years.

As for the northern cities, I'm not sure what could be done for them; they are between a rock and a hard place as far as future potential goes.
There would be serious push back... Not only that. But where does it stop? Lets use Moncton as an example Moncton would take Riverview, Dieppe, and Possibly Coverdale to the South/South East then in the North East we take Tankville, Irishtown, Saint- Philippe, Evangeline, Scotch Settlement, Then there are still communities to the North West, and South West I din't name.

Not only that if Communities/Cities start joining together to expand, and become urbanized as we are talking about. We will be shrinking are farming communities drastically unless we start doing commercial farming like they do in some Countries where most if not all farming is done indoors in simulated landscapes... There are a lot of steps we would have to look at for this to work...

As a person who has lived, and worked in cities, and Rural communities/towns this is always on my mind...

Specially when I see cities that have different rules, and regulations for different areas. Toronto comes to mind as it's been talked about every time they talked about housing...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 10:26 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post

Freddy already merged a long time ago, the communities you mention aren't really significant enough to warrant a big expansion.

SJ doesn't make sense to merge as its already the largest city in terms of land area in Canada...It would need to shed the "rural" areas in order to justify expansion the other direction...but still the 3 main communities are not really unified. They are 10 minutes away going 110 km/h. I assume folks from SJ city center rarely if ever go to KV for shopping or anything really. The only merger that makes sense in that area is a KV merger.

Moncton makes the most sense based purely on geographic and population base argument. The three main communities are very closely connected on many levels. As someone who lives in central Moncton I can say I travel between all 3 very regularly for different reasons (live in Moncton, work in Dieppe, Bank in Riverview etc) This is common among many people here. The only thig stopping a merger is LANGUAGE which is very foolish in my eye but that's the way it is so....

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 12:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Job Creation Statistics for Atlantic CMA's for the year 2014

This information was gleaned from the Canada site but apparently is from Statistics Canada:

St. John's..........+1,800 (+1.6%)
Moncton............unchanged
Saint John.........-100 (-0.2%)
Halifax..............-1,200 (-0.5%)

I guess for Moncton, not having lost any (net) jobs last year is a victory of sorts.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Job Creation Statistics for Atlantic CMA's for the year 2014

This information was gleaned from the Canada site but apparently is from Statistics Canada:

St. John's..........+1,800 (+1.6%)
Moncton............unchanged
Saint John.........-100 (-0.2%)
Halifax..............-1,200 (-0.5%)

I guess for Moncton, not having lost any (net) jobs last year is a victory of sorts.
On a separate not I want to know how you would find out the percentages of jobs lost versus jobs created on a per day/week/or monthly basis if it's even possible... Because this would mean we focus more on jobs lost then created for some reason or another...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 3:28 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I see in June New Brunswick passed 1 billion in retail sales! This is the first time I've ever seen retail pass 1 billion in New Brunswick. Kinda cool. We would always get close but never quite get there. We did this time though!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 12:22 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I see in June New Brunswick passed 1 billion in retail sales! This is the first time I've ever seen retail pass 1 billion in New Brunswick. Kinda cool. We would always get close but never quite get there. We did this time though!
Dollar hovering under $0.75USD helps a ton. NB generally does better in retail and exports when the dollar is low.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 5:03 PM
New Brunswick booster!

It's a big help.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 1:42 PM

CMA Population Estimates

CMA..............2013........2014........2015.....Change........%
Halifax.......409,906.....413,554.....417,847......4,293....+1.04
Moncton.......144,415.....146,092.....147,968......1,876....+1.28
Saint John....128,003.....127,460.....126,912.......-548....-0.43
St John's.....209,069.....212,257.....214,285......2,028....+0.96

Change & change % are from 2014 to 2015.

Source (released today): http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...cansim-fra.htm

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 1:48 PM

CMA population changes from 2011 census to 2015 estimates

CMA..............2011........2015.....Change........%
Halifax.......402,433.....417,847.....15,414....+3.83
Moncton.......140,228.....147,968......7,740....+5.52
Saint John....128,605.....126,912.....-1,693....-1.33
St John's.....202,533.....214,285.....11,752....+5.80

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:03 PM

Man, I really hope SJ can get its act together; the pipeline and spinoffs should help there.

Otherwise, we could see it dropping down into 3rd place in the province behind Freddy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces