HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
On a separate note...I think this city is missing something in the way of venues for families. I think Rockwood Park should install waterslides like it used to have, and maybe mini golf. The underfunded Cherry Brook Zoo should be relocated into the park, closer to the people. As it is, it's just a large under utilized space consisting of a few gravel beaches.
I grew up in Hampton and only left the greater SJ area 10 years ago. There just weren't jobs in my line of work anymore, so we moved to Moncton.

I remember going to Rockwood park as a kid. The slides, bumper boats, batting cages, petting zoo, etc were always a blast. They seemed crowded whenever we went there too (in the late '80s). There was probably a good reason for them to have been shut down, but why they never replaced them is a mystery to me. I agree that the city should add more attractions like that to the area.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 2:27 PM

I disagree with the above comment somewhat.
I believe this will have long term bennifits. This project should give everyone more confidence in the pipeline project actually happening. Some of this work is to get ready for that.
There will be more jobs at the refinery full time.
More projects are set to be announced soon.
Complaining and whining do nothing to help our city.
The first thing that needs to happen is to change most folks attitude.
Get out there and spend a little money! get things moving!
If you are waiting for politicians to do it for you.....you will be dissapointed everytime. YOU can make a difference.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
I disagree with the above comment somewhat.
I believe this will have long term bennifits. This project should give everyone more confidence in the pipeline project actually happening. Some of this work is to get ready for that.
There will be more jobs at the refinery full time.
More projects are set to be announced soon.
Complaining and whining do nothing to help our city.
The first thing that needs to happen is to change most folks attitude.
Get out there and spend a little money! get things moving!
If you are waiting for politicians to do it for you.....you will be dissapointed everytime. YOU can make a difference.
Thing is we've been hearing "announcements will be soon" since 2005. I think people can get skeptical. People won't spend money if they don't feel secure about their situation / livelihood - proven fact when there are bad economic times people with secure jobs tighten their purse strings - it's a psychological thing.

Another issue I have is these short term projects only give a temporary boost to economy with no long term employment. We need long term employment before people consider buying a house Etc.
For instance when the pipeline gets built, we will gain around 20 jobs operating the terminal at Canaport, but lose the 200 jobs associated with railing in crude oil. Anyone think Irving is really going to accept the risks/liability/expense of bringing in 80,000 barrels of crude a day when they can pipe that same amount in 2 hours?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 3:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Using rail transportation for importing oil from the west is not viable in the long term either economically or environmentally. A pipeline is the only way to go.

Sure, there will be fewer jobs operating the pipeline, but what SJ should do is try and promote spin off jobs related to a secure (and inexpensive) western source of oil products - things like plastics manufacturing.......

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 4:43 PM
ハルウララ

Coming from a company that built an LNG import terminal a year or two prior to an export boom in LNG i'm not entirely convinced that maintenance on the refinery is a sure sign that Energy East is confirmed happening. Energy East still has a lot of hoops to jump through before it's confirmed. Because no government funding is being used for the Refinery maintenance none of us are really in a position to criticize the project. It's all Irving money for temporary job numbers in Saint John...and that's about it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Coming from a company that built an LNG import terminal a year or two prior to an export boom in LNG i'm not entirely convinced that maintenance on the refinery is a sure sign that Energy East is confirmed happening. Energy East still has a lot of hoops to jump through before it's confirmed. Because no government funding is being used for the Refinery maintenance none of us are really in a position to criticize the project. It's all Irving money for temporary job numbers in Saint John...and that's about it.
This is a maintenance turnaround.

Not a new construction project.

The main reason for this turnaround is to do work on the cat cracker that was installed during the King of Cats project that happened near the turn of the century.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 12:48 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeagues View Post
This is a maintenance turnaround.

Not a new construction project.

The main reason for this turnaround is to do work on the cat cracker that was installed during the King of Cats project that happened near the turn of the century.
Exactly.

This type of project happens every year or two. The temp jobs are nice, but are just that. The newspaper/media are always hyping it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 1:24 PM

I had the opportunity to check out the Uptown Gallery hop last evening, culminating in a late night checking out the Third Shift installations around the Trinity Royal area. The highlight was the grass lawn they laid down on Grannan Lane, with people hanging out on picnic blankets throughout the evening. Keith Brideau was even pouring some Picaroons for all to enjoy out of what will soon be the new Picaroons brewtique on Canterbury.

It was a great little festival atmosphere - something that I hope happens every summer!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
I had the opportunity to check out the Uptown Gallery hop last evening, culminating in a late night checking out the Third Shift installations around the Trinity Royal area. The highlight was the grass lawn they laid down on Grannan Lane, with people hanging out on picnic blankets throughout the evening. Keith Brideau was even pouring some Picaroons for all to enjoy out of what will soon be the new Picaroons brewtique on Canterbury.

It was a great little festival atmosphere - something that I hope happens every summer!

This looks awesome and perfectly illustrates what BeautifulNB stated a few posts back "Enjoy what the city has to offer"

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 5:18 PM

Field across the street from boys and girls club

Doe's anyone know what they're building there?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeblow View Post
Doe's anyone know what they're building there?
From the TJ: "Renovations include a re-turfing of the current field, removal of the metal fencing, a re-sized youth soccer field, new landscaping and garden beds and a bark park for dogs."

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 11:25 PM

Weeks 751 tied up at Lower Cove, prepping to drill test holes at new marine terminal

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 11:35 PM

sorry i cant figure out how to post the link.....search weeks 751 crane and a few listings down there is a government doc. happy reading

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 1:07 AM
ハルウララ

Speaking of, there's work being done at the former sugar refinery site on Lower Cove Loop. Any info?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 1:15 AM

the work at the former lantic site is partly the mobilization of weeks 751.
not sure about the excavation/civil works.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:36 PM

I've been wondering about this for a while but I never remember to ask. Has anyone heard what is going to happen with the Fundy Line Motel on Rothesay Ave? I'm not exactly sure when it closed but it seems to have been sitting there empty for a while.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo64 View Post
I've been wondering about this for a while but I never remember to ask. Has anyone heard what is going to happen with the Fundy Line Motel on Rothesay Ave? I'm not exactly sure when it closed but it seems to have been sitting there empty for a while.
If it has permanently closed, it's probably not surprising, given the increased amenities that have been offered at both the Hampton Inn and Best Western Inn since those were built.

The motel located further down Rothesay Ave. is able to continue good business because it's far enough away from the 'Big 2' to keep drawing money. The Fundy Line had both looking down and directly at it.

I'd think that demolition would be in the offing for it. No need for it anymore. =P

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 12:17 AM

Air Canada adding 80 jobs in SJ contact center

http://www.country94.ca/news/1473359...obs-saint-john

Nordia is adding 130 jobs in SJ, the center could hit 620 positions

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...lant-1.3226803

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 1:52 AM
ハルウララ

That's $2,500 per job created subsidized by the NB Government...for those keeping track at home. The jobs in Riverview were previously subsidized to the tune of $8k/job in 2008.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Air Canada adding 80 jobs in SJ contact center

http://www.country94.ca/news/1473359...obs-saint-john

This is interesting. By this time next year, AC employees are going to be replaced by Jazz and contract workers at the 3 major airports in NB, and the remaining small bases throughout the system. The number of AC jobs lost was to be 60-70, with most of them being in NB. The AC call centre just finished a hiring wave this summer, so I wonder if this could be to make room for bumping rights from airport employees without losing the new hires.

edit: I meant to say 60-70 airport ticketing jobs are being cut by AC. Total jobs cut by AC, from airports in NB, will be closer to 300.

Last edited by DreDay; Sep 15, 2015 at 4:25 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces