HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 7:37 PM

I don't think they are making a three-lane off ramp, but that's just me.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 8:22 PM

It's now gonna be two-lane, and it's also much longer, too. It should help. The old ramp was pretty short.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 1:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There may be big things afoot for Royal Oaks.

In the sports section of the T&T today is an article talking about a major refurbishment to create a "four seasons resort":

Components may include
- an 80 room hotel next to the current clubhouse (construction to commence in 2016). Apparently this building will also include some condos & apartments as well as ground floor retail (curious given it's location in a residential neighbourhood).
- a new spa with indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts and provisions for outdoor winter activities (snowshoeing, cross country skiing etc).
- an indoor/outdoor golf academy and some changes to the existing course layout.

The cost of this project is estimated to be $15M.
This site plan shows where this proposed $15M development at Royal Oaks will be built. It will be on the lot labelled 08-2

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 4:10 PM

Noticed today that the lot behind Rolly's warehouse was cleared, anyone have any info as to what is going on there? It kind of looks like Rolly's might be expanding but that is pure speculation.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
Noticed today that the lot behind Rolly's warehouse was cleared, anyone have any info as to what is going on there? It kind of looks like Rolly's might be expanding but that is pure speculation.
There was talks about possible expansion but that was a while ago now, and a few people I know who work there said they overheard staff talk about a massive hire as well. But of course only hear say. It could also be if any new companies are opening up or old companies moving locations as well.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 4:14 AM

does anyone have any idea what going on next to rolly's in the caledonia park... the patch of wood was clear out and buldoze

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 12:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I'd say it's more than speculation since there are now footings and forms in behind the building. I would say that Rolly's is indeed expanding.

Also:

- There appear to be at least four active construction projects going on in the Caledonia Industrial Park along Frenette Ave and Commerce St. A couple of these projects are pretty large. There were no identifying signs up, so I'm not quite sure who will occupy these new buildings.

- The new fire station on Caledonia Road is coming along very quickly. Not only is the structural steel all installed, but the walls and partitions are going up too.

- And finally, one of the units in the strip mall behind the Starbucks on Elmwood Drive is now under construction. I wonder if that's the rumoured Freddy's Pizza.

EDIT

Going back over the last couple of pages, the Caledonia Industrial Park activity appears to include:

- Rolly's Warehouse (expansion)
- Fed Ex distribution centre ($3M)
- Caledonia Self Storage (rumour)
- Versacold Logistics cold storage (rumour)

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 28, 2015 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 12:19 PM

In Dawn Arnold's resume of the city council meeting last night, she mentions this:
Quote:
The decision was made to proceed with both rezonings (to construct a new commercial development off Elmwood at Filles de Jesus
Anyone know what this new construction is?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't know precisely, but there is a public notice in the paper today regarding a request to rezone the south side of Filles de Jesus to accomodate a "commercial plaza" to complement the existing Sobeys and Lawtons stores.

Frequently, these rezonings are done but then nothing happens for years. In this case however, I wonder if there might not be tenants lined up, given it's relatively high profile location as part of a successful suburban commercial development. I expect to see shovels in the ground next year.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 1:46 PM

I have previously heard a rumor that NBliquor would move there Elmwood store to the spot where the church (on Masters road) used to be.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
I have previously heard a rumor that NBliquor would move there Elmwood store to the spot where the church (on Masters road) used to be.
An NBLC located near a grocery store (Sobeys) would be a natural fit.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
An NBLC located near a grocery store (Sobeys) would be a natural fit.
I agree with you almost all are Liquor stores are either attached to or within arms reach (so to speak)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I agree with you almost all are Liquor stores are either attached to or within arms reach (so to speak)
There was a much better rendering but this is the best one I could find. I remember "Building B" was set to become an NB Liquor while "Building C" became Lawtons. I've asked the employees of NB Liquor Elmwood and they've kept saying they've heard rumours of the move but had to wait for the lease at the current location to run out. They weren't sure when that was.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
There was a much better rendering but this is the best one I could find. I remember "Building B" was set to become an NB Liquor while "Building C" became Lawtons. I've asked the employees of NB Liquor Elmwood and they've kept saying they've heard rumours of the move but had to wait for the lease at the current location to run out. They weren't sure when that was.

I was looking into it a little further. I did talk to a friend of mine who works in the Offices for Sobeys, and another friend of mine worked for the Liquor Corporation but now works with a development firm all Signs are pointing to the NBLC being where it was planed as plan B, and something else would be going to the old church lot. I'm not 100% certain how accurate this will be but we will hopefully find out soon. Also talked to someone who works at Dooly's, and they might be closing or moving locations. If they do it would leave that building empty.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

Yes, I remember this rendering. It's a few years old now. If NBLC is moving, I have no doubt they would locate in Building "B". This would mirror the situation they have at the Sobeys at Vaughn Harvey/Main.

In any event, the request for rezoning is for that strip of land on the south side of Filles de Jesus, where that old igloo church used to be. It will be interesting to see what tenants might end up there.

I wonder if this is all a response to the impending construction next year at Elmwood Centre on the north side of the TCH. That development will include a smaller format Superstore and Elmwood Home Hardware. If this Sobeys development can lure an NBLC and some smaller businesses, this might give them a leg up on the Elmwood Centre development.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:08 PM

I wish I could rely on my memory better but it seems to me the lease of NBLC in the mini-mall down the road expired earlier this year. Again this is purely going by my memory, which is dangerous at the best of times, but that's how I remember it.
Also, I would bet money that one of these developments will be a gas station but that's merely speculation on my part.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I wish I could rely on my memory better but it seems to me the lease of NBLC in the mini-mall down the road expired earlier this year. Again this is purely going by my memory, which is dangerous at the best of times, but that's how I remember it.
Also, I would bet money that one of these developments will be a gas station but that's merely speculation on my part.

There was a plan floating out there before the Sobeys, and Lawtons where built that showed that area being developed with Sobeys, NBLC, Lawtons, and a gas bar/convenience store as well. Not certain if it was the developers who had made those plans or if it was someone who had some time to kill, and wanted to show what it would look like. The reaosn I bring this up is there where 2 other hopeful plans floating around showing the Elmwood Drive Project North of the TCH Being mixed Commercial/Residential, and there was also plans made for a potential West Main Street Shopping center as well.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 11:48 PM

There's a couple problems I see with a proposed gas station at that location.
A) there are at least two gas stations in Irishtown and there are currently 3 gas stations up the road. The new Elmwood TCH Centre will assuredly have one. Plus, let's not forget the land across the street purchased by Irving for a rumoured Big Stop. That's a lot of gas stations in one area that never have lineups at the pump. B) The old church was located off the main road. Not by much, but it seems that would put them at a bit of a disadvantage.

Now, if it's a new mini-mall they plan to build, there are enough vacant storefronts and proposed commercial properties that may need to be filled first. Supply > Demand at the moment.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 11:59 AM

FYI here's the actual rezoning request: New Rezoning Application for 26 Filles de Jesus Avenue R2 (Two Unit Dwelling) to SC (Suburban Commercial) Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
In Dawn Arnold's resume of the city council meeting last night, she mentions this:

Anyone know what this new construction is?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 5:35 PM

Well, the original rumour was true. I'm told Freddie's is opening soon at the mini-mall behind Starbucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces