HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
Courtesy of Drewber, whose pic was huge, I downsized it for him and others to see.

I've not been up that way in a little while it seems to be comming along well.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:56 PM
I have no Title

I have heard today that SWISS CHALET has purchased the Chans House property and will be tearing it down to build a store similar to their Mountain Road location, anyone else hear this rumour?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 11:29 PM

Heard that one yesterday. Also heard they bought the house behind Chan's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
I have heard today that SWISS CHALET has purchased the Chans House property and will be tearing it down to build a store similar to their Mountain Road location, anyone else hear this rumour?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 12:35 AM

Ate there tonight. Their last day open is September 14th. But didnt confirm it was Swiss Chalet that was going there.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:21 AM

As hard as it is to believe it, Swiss Chalet is indeed moving there as soon as the deal closes. The property doesn't seem big enough to me, but anyway, it's actually happening.
(Never could stand the cramped parking at the current Dieppe location, so let's see what they can do for parking now.)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
Ate there tonight. Their last day open is September 14th. But didnt confirm it was Swiss Chalet that was going there.
So, is Chan's closing for good, or just relocating??

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, is Chan's closing for good, or just relocating??

Thats a good question!!! But I hope they go into the plaza nest to shoppers!!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:12 PM

Wasn't Swiss Chalet supposed to build on the hill next to Canadian Tire, behind Deluxe?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Wasn't Swiss Chalet supposed to build on the hill next to Canadian Tire, behind Deluxe?
Yes, that was the rumour. They then demolished all the houses there and then nothing happened......

Plans change I guess.......

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:08 PM

Chan's will be closed for good. Today was the closing date and the last day of operation is September 15th. My source is undisputable, but I won't mention his/her name.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
Chan's will be closed for good. Today was the closing date and the last day of operation is September 15th. My source is undisputable, but I won't mention his/her name.
That's too bad, I quite enjoy their food!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 10:13 AM

Yes they were hands-on owners and were always in the kitgchen and involved in their business, so you could count on everything being done right.
I found the price kind of high, but I'm a cheap son of a ....... The food was always good, for sure.
They are closing for good and not relocating, as Patapouf says.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 2:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Yes they were hands-on owners and were always in the kitgchen and involved in their business, so you could count on everything being done right.
I found the price kind of high, but I'm a cheap son of a ....... The food was always good, for sure.
They are closing for good and not relocating, as Patapouf says.
So, I presume this is another case of a small business person opting to retire and selling his business to fund his golden years.

I respect their decision, but it's a net loss for the city. Chan's House was a fixture in Dieppe and a unique local business. It will be replaced by Swiss Chalet which, although a fine eating establishment, is yet just another national chain and contributes nothing to the local flavour of the area.

I like quality chain restaurants, but it's the local independents who really define the community. This news makes me kinda sad.....

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 5:04 PM

They are retiring, yes, but not fully retiring. He is a man with a few other irons in the fire. He will concentrate on some of his other visions. I can't say for sure but I don't believe they have children to pass on the restaurant to. Like I say, I don't know that for a fact but have talked with this guy many times over many years and he's never mentioned kids and I've never seen offspring there.
Ive eaten there since waaaaaaay back when he used to be located in a house where Pizza Delight is now, across the street from the current place. He's a different kind of dude with an unusual take on life and on business, and he has all sorts of ideas and plans and visions, most of which are, shall we say, elaborate. He's a nice man and I wish him the very best.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 4:13 AM

Atlantic Motoplex is undergoing a significant expansion.
It looks like they are doubling in size.
Here is a photo of their location on Champlain st.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was the rumour. They then demolished all the houses there and then nothing happened......

Plans change I guess.......
I heard that Cara Operations which operates several restaurant chains including: Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, Kelsey's, Milestones and Montana's, may put a Harvey's in this location. Although my source is not a reliable one.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I heard that Cara Operations which operates several restaurant chains including: Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, Kelsey's, Milestones and Montana's, may put a Harvey's in this location. Although my source is not a reliable one.
In the paper today, the local Swiss Chalet franchisor confirmed that he has bought the property, but he did not confirm that he was relocating the Swiss Chalet restaurant. He left open the possibility of continuing to operate the current Chinese restaurant, or of using the property for a different format store.

I guess everything is just speculation at present. The Dieppe Swiss Chalet will likely stay where it is (for now). Whether this is still the case in two years time, we'll just have to wait and see......

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
As an aside, Cara is actively looking for a local franchisee for their Milestone's bar and grill type restaurant chain in Moncton. I suppose this could be a concept that could work in this location (although I was rooting for Milestone's to locate on Mapleton Road).

Just speculation, but the Swiss Chalet franchisor would seem to be the ideal type person to take on the responsibility of operating a Milestone's too.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 8:23 PM

Quote:
As an aside, Cara is actively looking for a local franchisee for their Milestone's bar and grill type restaurant chain in Moncton. I suppose this could be a concept that could work in this location (although I was rooting for Milestone's to locate on Mapleton Road).

Just speculation, but the Swiss Chalet franchisor would seem to be the ideal type person to take on the responsibility of operating a Milestone's too.
I thought they where looking at getting a lot for milestone's past Creek St or was that just rumors.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 10:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I thought they where looking at getting a lot for milestone's past Creek St or was that just rumors.
1)- Milestone's is looking at the Moncton market. The Cara website lists both Moncton and Halifax (as well as Winnipeg) as places where they are looking for a local franchisee to partner.
2)- It was me who speculated that Mapleton Crossing would be an ideal location for Milestone's to consider. The lot on the SW corner of Cabela's & Mapleton Road is designed for a restaurant pad. It would be a good site to consider because of visibility, location within a destination shopping district and also synergy with other nearby similar restaurants (Mavericks, Moxie's, Montana's).

As such, it is nothing more than a rumour (an unintentional one at that). The only thing we know for sure is that Cara wants to establish a Milestone's in Moncton. The major impediment to finding a local owner however will be the hefty cost of establishing a restaurant like this (at least $700,000 unencumbered), with enough additional cash flow to keep the business operational until it finds it's footing. Only a person with considerable knowledge of the restaurant industry and deep pockets need apply........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces