HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 5:03 AM

I'm going to assume they are the same photos from the Moncton.ca web site and the same as the ones posted in this thread within previous pages.
http://www.moncton.ca/Business/Downtown_Centre.htm

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 12:04 PM

I noticed a few pieces of equipment on the future site of the events center. I assume this is likely to begin soil clean up?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I noticed a few pieces of equipment on the future site of the events center. I assume this is likely to begin soil clean up?
That is what it's supposed to be. From what I've understood there tearing all the pavement on site, and putting up construction fencing.

I'm still wondering if they have taken down the old Sobeys section yet I understand it's on a separate lot but it's a safety hazard...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 3:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I'm still wondering if they have taken down the old Sobeys section yet I understand it's on a separate lot but it's a safety hazard...
That land belongs to Crombie REIT. It will be interesting to see what they have planned for it. 1234 Main Street has already had a massive refurbishment. It was my understanding that any decision on doing the same to 1222 Main was dependent on the decision to build the Events Centre.

I'm wondering that if 1222 Main gets the same treatment, if it won't include an extension southward to also include the old Sobey's building and a direct physical connection to 1234 Main. This is all purely speculative of course, but it would explain why Crombie held onto the old Sobeys, even while the rest of Highfield Square met the wrecking ball........

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
That land belongs to Crombie REIT. It will be interesting to see what they have planned for it. 1234 Main Street has already had a massive refurbishment. It was my understanding that any decision on doing the same to 1222 Main was dependent on the decision to build the Events Centre.

I'm wondering that if 1222 Main gets the same treatment, if it won't include an extension southward to also include the old Sobey's building and a direct physical connection to 1234 Main. This is all purely speculative of course, but it would explain why Crombie held onto the old Sobeys, even while the rest of Highfield Square met the wrecking ball........
1222 main is going to be renovated, I'm hearing Crombie has big plans for the property which also might help with the parking problem!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck17 View Post
1222 main is going to be renovated, I'm hearing Crombie has big plans for the property which also might help with the parking problem!
Are you suggesting they're planning on building a parking structure?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Are you suggesting they're planning on building a parking structure?
I have heard rumblings about a possible parking structure!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck17 View Post
I have heard rumblings about a possible parking structure!
That would be very interesting if it were to transpire.

Personally, what I would like to see happen would be to have Weldon Street extended south of Main to connect with (the already planned) extended Highfield Street. Doing this would re-establish the urban street grid pattern in this area of the city. An extended Weldon Street would also allow for street frontage for whatever Crombie has planned for the old Sobey's property. I would like to see 1222 Main renovated to the same high standards of 1234 Main. I would like to see a low rise structure of some form, perhaps with street front retail and services attached to the back end of 1222 Main and partially fronting on the extended Weldon Street (and connecting to 1234 Main). There could be room there for a third tower as well, and I would love to see a parking structure also included. There's lots that could be done to that property with a little planning and foresight.

I know that the above is not the proposal chosen, but the above rendering does show an extended Weldon Street, with a couple of multi-storey building in behind 1222 Main roughly where the old Sobey's is located. I include this image just to indicate what could happen there, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Crombie may indeed have something up their sleeve.

I would also not be surprised to see the Aquillini's adding in some enclosed parking for any new development that they might have planned for their block too.

Just imagine how much that end of the city might change in the next 10 years. In addition to the Events Centre itself, we have the following (potential) major projects:

1)- Crombie REIT (redevelopment of 1222 Main and old Sobey's store)
2)- Aquillini Block (Crowne Plaza Hotel)
3)- The Junction Urban Village at Vaughn Harvey & Main
4)- Possible condo development on old Eaton's (Bay) parking lot.

The Junction Urban Village

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 31, 2015 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 1:50 PM

Quote:

I'm glad that the Events Centre is approved, but just to nitpick, I find this proposal by Architects 4 to be far superior in terms of integration into the neighborhood than the current design.

A Weldon street extension was mentioned by one of the councilors during the presentation. Weldon street is directly across from the old Sobeys building and there may be some issues with Crombie wanting to hold on to this land for development instead of it being split up for a street extension.

Last edited by NBNYer; Aug 31, 2015 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I'm glad that the Events Centre is approved, but just to nitpick, I find this proposal by Architects 4 to be far superior in terms of integration into the neighborhood than the current design.
This was by far my favourite proposal as well. I thought it was quite elegant.

Quote:
A Weldon street extension was mentioned by one of the counselors during the presentation. Weldon street is directly across from the old Sobeys building and there may be some issues with Crombie wanting to hold on to this land for development instead of it being split up for a street extension.
I can appreciate that, but I would think that the value of the property in behind 1222 Main would be a lot higher if it had a direct street front presence. Crombie should take that into consideration.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 1:38 PM

Here is the Link for a presentation of the downtown events center. Via City of Moncton. I was speaking to a counselor, this is the chosen design.

http://www.moncton.ca/Business/Downtown_Centre.htm

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 6:48 PM

Quote:
This was by far my favourite proposal as well. I thought it was quite elegant.

I can appreciate that, but I would think that the value of the property in behind 1222 Main would be a lot higher if it had a direct street front presence. Crombie should take that into consideration.
I spoke with a counselor about that, and he stated that the Owners could not be forced to sell (I agree with that) but despite Weldon street not being extended. That Highfield Street will be extended, and curve to then meet Vaughan Harvey. In other words the street that's already marked out on Maps will be made a public street, and access to the old Sobeys lot would be the same access as the Parking for 1222-1234 Main St. Off the newly constructed Highfield street extension, and I would also point out that to his knowledge the Owners have not made any request into incorporating the old Sobeys lot into the 1222-1234 project. But they MIGHT Put in a request to the city to turn the lot into a parking structure for public/private use within the next few years *hint, hint* .

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 11:14 AM

Related to rational, previous posts but especially the "panicked" ones in the CBC forums:

When the project was announced, there was a huge uproar about "OMG WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE PARKING!!!" and "THERE IS NOTHING ELSE IN THAT AREA! WHAT WILL PEOPLE DO?". What people don't realize is that there is (usually) a lot more than meets the the eye to these sorts of projects. It's not as if planners just chose to disregard parking... (and other aspects). There very often are other related/associated projects and endeavors going on behind the scenes, you just don't hear about them.

TLDR: Don't panic, people have been considering all angles of this for some time.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 7:27 PM

Moncton council hires independent certifier for downtown events centre
http://globalnews.ca/news/2245597/mo...events-centre/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 11:08 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the final contracts for the events centre are to be signed tomorrow.

There won't be any going back after that..........

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Apparently the final contracts for the events centre are to be signed tomorrow.

There won't be any going back after that..........
I wonder if we will start hearing more details of other downtown projects once it becomes official?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 12:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I wonder if we will start hearing more details of other downtown projects once it becomes official?
Likely not soon. There's still three long years before the events centre opens it's doors, so that gives a lot of time for other developers to work on whatever plans they might have. All of this will of course be done behind closed doors and in secret. It will likely be a year before we start hearing rumours of any concrete plans for the surrounding area.

The only developments where I expect more immediate action would be 55 Queen (if the developers actually finally greenlight the project) and the Junction Urban Village, which seems to already have a well planned development concept.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Moncton council hires independent certifier for downtown events centre
http://globalnews.ca/news/2245597/mo...events-centre/
Likely money well spent. Sometimes this kind of big planning best left to professionals. Saves some finger-pointing down the road, too.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 11:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I heard on the radio this morning that once the final contract is signed today, that they expect initial site preparation work to begin very shortly, taking a winter hiatus on December 15th, and recommencing by about March 15th.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I heard on the radio this morning that once the final contract is signed today, that they expect initial site preparation work to begin very shortly, taking a winter hiatus on December 15th, and recommencing by about March 15th.
Great news! I really didn't expect any work to begin this year. Hopefully seeing some actual work on site will give some extra confidence to other developers of neighboring projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces