HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
From the rendering above it looks like a small one way street with no open space in the middle with a road that barely connects to Assumption. Am I seeing this wrong? If this is the plan - well, it sucks.
As MonctonRad stated, this is just a small piece of it. And the majority of this phase is underground... the final renders had larger buildings down the W side of the street, so the city needs to put in considerable infrastructure (pipes, conduit) to handle those when they materialize.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 8:48 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cton-1.3196320

Good article on Zio's expansion plans. I never knew he was brothers with the scum who ran the strip joint. I am all for a well ran strip club in GMA but that place was nothing but trouble. Looking forward to spring 2016

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:05 PM

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this, but there is a new pizza/Mediterranean restaurant in the old Relish's place called Mama's Restaurant. We went there last night and it was very good. Owner was very nice and let us sample a couple of items. On the weekend the line was out the door.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 2:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nope, this is the proper thread for this.

I had mentioned Mama's in this thread a couple of weeks back. I'm glad to hear the food is good. The owner is apparently from Syria and says that he will be filling a niche with Middle Eastern and North African food (in addition to pizza). Their menu will include such things as shawrama and souvlaki.

I still think that they will be catering mostly to the bar crowd, but if they are popular, their appeal could broaden.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 11:10 AM

I noticed today that Atlantic Cirque who is one of the tenants in the Aqualini block in the old bus terminal is relocating. My daughter attends their programs and they have been growing fairly quickly so I wonder if this is because they need more space or because they have been asked to relocate by Aqualini.
Anyway, food for thought.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I noticed today that Atlantic Cirque who is one of the tenants in the Aqualini block in the old bus terminal is relocating. My daughter attends their programs and they have been growing fairly quickly so I wonder if this is because they need more space or because they have been asked to relocate by Aqualini.
I've noticed a few vacant units on that block. Not just the old Bus station.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I've noticed a few vacant units on that block. Not just the old Bus station.

I seen that Bass Pro Shop is using one of the locations as a temporary office until the store opens.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 9:55 PM

NB Asks Feds For Funding On Petitcodiac River Project

Provincial Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Roger Melanson is calling upon national party leaders to commit to helping the provincial government build a bridge to complete the Petitcodiac River project. Melanson says over the years, the province has invested 55.7 million dollars in this project and now he's asking for a federal commitment of 52.8 million, one half of the entire project cost, to construct a 240-metre bridge to replace the Petitcodiac River Causeway.

C103.com

Really? I didn't even think this was on their radar. Especially with the state of economy. I assume the timing has nothing to do with the upcoming election

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 10:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nothing like floating a trial balloon!

Harper will say "are you nuts!"

Trudeau will say "sure thing Boss", especially with Dominic whispering in both his ear and Brian's ear.

Mulcair will take it under advisement.

No matter what, this balloon will rapidly deflate after the election......

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:24 PM

Downing St

Downing St work is supposedly starting today, a bunch of white hats milling around the blue cross parking lot with clipboards.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 10:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from 91.9 the Bend

Moncton City Council Approves Tender For RCMP Memorial
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2015 17:22 PM

Almost as much work will be going into landscaping around the new RCMP memorial at Riverfront Park as the monument itself.

Moncton City Council has approved the tender for the project at a cost of just over $317,000.

Parks and Leisure General Manager Catharine Dallaire says the project begins at the foot of Westmorland Street, behind the Moncton Press Club.

"Once there, you turn right and there will be a beautiful esplanade to lead you to the monument. But along the way, there will be benches and planting and connections to our trail system," Dallaire notes.

Artist Morgan MacDonald of Newfoundland will be creating the monument of the three fallen RCMP officers who were tragically killed in northwest Moncton last year.

Ottawa is providing half the cost of the $750,000 project with the rest coming from the city and the province.

(Above depiction courtesy City of Moncton)

- See more at: http://www.919thebend.ca/news/846957....6pO0tB6A.dpuf

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 11:31 PM

This house was demolished today:

Photos: Times & Transcript

So sad to see this house disappear. The T&T is reporting that ML Rentals owns it and will be building a "24 of 32 luxury apartment complex, three or four stories high." The property didn't have a heritage designation, and the owner originally planned on renting the existing units, but it was too outdated, required too much work, and nobody wanted to rent it.

Nice to hear that new units are going up, but with so many existing vacant lots, I find this development extremely disappointing. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything extravagant being built, or anything at all for that matter given the region's current vacancy rate.

I know of other buildings that are protected under the heritage bylaw that are really nothing special, yet this one was free to take the wrecking ball.

Full article: https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...s-of-old-house

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:15 AM

In case folks are not familiar with the location of this property, it's 67 Archibald St, close to Queen St.

Semi luxury apartments may be ok is in this part of downtown. The neighborhood is still in decent shape and 2 blocks away from the new Downtown Centre.

On the other hand, my only concern is, the surrounding Victorian homes would appear to be getting invaded by apartment units. And to have a cookie cutter 3-4 story apartment unit built on 2"x6" within this small footprint sounds a little displeasing. Unless the design is something fresh, unique and "think outside the box" design.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
Just to follow up, the Atlantic Cirque School will be moving to the Empress Theatre and the group has partnered with the Capitol. The news release can be found on their website at http://www.atlanticcirque-moncton.com/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:39 AM

The group of citizens that initially called for Robinson court to be renamed Gerald Leblanc Place are now proposing to lend the poet's name to that small patch of green space adjacent to city hall at the corner of Main and Botsford.

It think this is a good compromise, that green space currently does not have a name attached to it so I guess there is no one to offend!

As a side note, I always thought that this green space should be expanded North towards the Boutique 31 building. It could be a great central urban park given its prime location.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The group of citizens that initially called for Robinson court to be renamed Gerald Leblanc Place are now proposing to lend the poet's name to that small patch of green space adjacent to city hall at the corner of Main and Botsford.

It think this is a good compromise, that green space currently does not have a name attached to it so I guess there is no one to offend
I also have no objection to this. It seems like a reasonable compromise.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post

It think this is a good compromise, that green space currently does not have a name attached to it so I guess there is no one to offend!

As a side note, I always thought that this green space should be expanded North towards the Boutique 31 building. It could be a great central urban park given its prime location.
So are they asking for the land to be named Parc Gerald Leblanc Park?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:34 PM

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but Eastern Bakeries (Canada Bread) has been doing some sort of expansion on their Botsford St facility all summer. Looks to be a 2 story expansion on the trucking side.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 12:22 PM

2016 a ‘pivotal year’ for future of old Moncton High

Indifference has the potential to do more damage to the former Moncton High School building than the thousands of rambunctious teenagers who stomped up and down its stairs and corridors could ever do, but not if a group of concerned Moncton residents and a local MLA can help it.

The group wants to see the remarkable building that housed the former Moncton High School thrive for another 80 years - or more. While they aren't ready to publicly speak about their plan at this early stage, the man quarterbacking it through the provincial bureaucracy believes it has merit.

Collins says the proposal to put the structure to future use is getting a favourable review from the province. "A lot of the heavy lifting has already been done," he says.

Still, a lot has to happen before details can be released and the proposal becomes a reality, not the least of which is federal participation in the plan, which will take time with a federal election set for Oct. 19. At this point, the project's proponents and the provincial government don't even know who the federal governmentwill be.

"lt's a really important heritage, architectural, historic and cultural icon for the city of Moncton," Collins says.

The project has already been reviewed by the province's Regional Development Corporation which is thelead agency in the planning and negotiation of provincial-federal economic development and infrastructureagreements, except for highways.

But don't expect an announcement before spring at the earliest, Collins says.
"The bali is rolling," Collins says, "and it's rolling in the right direction."

Times&Transcript

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
2016 a ‘pivotal year’ for future of old Moncton High

Indifference has the potential to do more damage to the former Moncton High School building than the thousands of rambunctious teenagers who stomped up and down its stairs and corridors could ever do, but not if a group of concerned Moncton residents and a local MLA can help it.

The group wants to see the remarkable building that housed the former Moncton High School thrive for another 80 years - or more. While they aren't ready to publicly speak about their plan at this early stage, the man quarterbacking it through the provincial bureaucracy believes it has merit.

Collins says the proposal to put the structure to future use is getting a favourable review from the province. "A lot of the heavy lifting has already been done," he says.

Still, a lot has to happen before details can be released and the proposal becomes a reality, not the least of which is federal participation in the plan, which will take time with a federal election set for Oct. 19. At this point, the project's proponents and the provincial government don't even know who the federal governmentwill be.

"lt's a really important heritage, architectural, historic and cultural icon for the city of Moncton," Collins says.

The project has already been reviewed by the province's Regional Development Corporation which is thelead agency in the planning and negotiation of provincial-federal economic development and infrastructureagreements, except for highways.

But don't expect an announcement before spring at the earliest, Collins says.
"The bali is rolling," Collins says, "and it's rolling in the right direction."

Times&Transcript
There is something that has bothered me with this request, and it has to do with: are they purchasing the property or just trying to bully a potential purchaser to using it as they wish?

The reason I bring this up is because we have seen these types of groups in all industries they will bark about how something should be done but will not do it themselves because they know it's not profitable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces