HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:51 PM

I checked on Blackmarsh Rd just now and SURPRISE they are putting up a form for the underpass centre block. I haven't seen a tender for this on the Gov't website though. So, perhaps in two years from now they'll have that underpass done. So, that leaves two overpasses at Topsail Rd and another one or two at Brookfield Rd so perhaps a road opening in 2022 or so, depending on how the new Gov't wants to spend money in St. John's vs outports.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:11 PM

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...56765&latest=1

"Province Exploring New Polymer Additive, Hoping to Prevent Road Ruts:

Transportation Minister David Brazil says the province is exploring a new polymer additive that it hopes will prevent the development of ruts on the province's busiest highways. For years, deep ruts have plagued drivers on stretches of the Trans Canada and Outer Ring Road, causing safety concerns. Brazil says they've tested the mixture on the Trans Labrador Highway, with good results."

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...56765&latest=1

"Province Exploring New Polymer Additive, Hoping to Prevent Road Ruts:

Transportation Minister David Brazil says the province is exploring a new polymer additive that it hopes will prevent the development of ruts on the province's busiest highways. For years, deep ruts have plagued drivers on stretches of the Trans Canada and Outer Ring Road, causing safety concerns. Brazil says they've tested the mixture on the Trans Labrador Highway, with good results."
I think the rut issue could be addressed by following the same engineering and construction practices as on the mainland. I don't see this rut issue in Nova Scotia and Ontario. I stand to be corrected but I suspect our infrastructure is under-engineered and as a result under-built. Overweight trucks are an issue as well.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 2:27 PM

The only active TGH extension work I can find is at the Blackmarsh Rd underpass site. They've started work on the centre pad as well as south side-pad; there's some anchor pads installed on the north side as well as a cover sheet on the wall but no pad work.

Here's a picture from Tuesday Aug 25 2015, looks like they'll get the centre span and side pads done this year.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:01 PM

If I was Brad Gushue I would ask the government to remove my name from that highway because it is an embarrassment!

Everyone in the Provincial Department of Transportation and the City of St. John’s Dept of Public Works should be ashamed for not being able to work together to move this along. (The City of Mt. Pearl should hang its head too)

Yes, I understand that the province has had to tighten their belt when it comes to capital spending however this road should have been completed long before the arse fell out of the price of oil and subsequently the treasury.

And now the only work being done is yet another overpass with no road leading to it. Come on guys, what do you think this is, a huge connect the dots game.

IF anyone seeking my vote in the upcoming provincial election comes to my door I’ll tell them the only way they are going to get it is if their leader publicly commits to completing that highway NEXT year, regardless of the resources required

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I think the rut issue could be addressed by following the same engineering and construction practices as on the mainland. I don't see this rut issue in Nova Scotia and Ontario. I stand to be corrected but I suspect our infrastructure is under-engineered and as a result under-built. Overweight trucks are an issue as well.
Ruts are a problem in Nova Scotia too. Some contractors can't be bothered with quality assurance, and studded tires only make matters worse.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
Ruts are a problem in Nova Scotia too. Some contractors can't be bothered with quality assurance, and studded tires only make matters worse.
I don't think there is way around the climate and weather.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:00 PM

..moved post

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:19 PM

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...57094&latest=1
Quote:
The town of Portugal Cove-St. Philip's is gauging interest in a possible Metrobus shuttle from the ferry terminal to St. John's. Deputy Mayor Gavin Will says Portugal Cove Road actually carries greater traffic volumes than the Trans Canada at Port aux Basques, and they're looking at all options as a means to try to reduce traffic going over the road.

He says a Metrobus shuttle might help to reduce long line ups at the ferry terminal.

He says the terminal area has become a virtual parking lot, and as a result its full potential cannot be explored.

The town has posted an online survey to its website to gauge interest. Will says it would be an expensive service to maintain, so they want to ensure it has the ridership needed to make it viable. The proposed shuttle would run from the ferry terminal to Confederation Building, Memorial University, and the Health Sciences.

The survey is available online at www.pcsp.ca until the end of September.

Great Idea! Too bad other towns in the region don't see this as a priority.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...57094&latest=1

Great Idea! Too bad other towns in the region don't see this as a priority.
I agree as well. Very progressive thinking on their part.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 1:14 AM

This screen shot from the recent YYT expansion video. The steel seems to be going up fast on the East terminal expansion.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 4:59 PM

WestJet poised to announce St. John's-London Gatwick flight

CBC News
Sept 14, 2015

Quote:
Canadian airline company WestJet is set to announce a new non-stop flight from St. John's starting next spring at a news conference Tuesday.

Airline industry website Airline Route indicates there will be a daily flight from St. John's to London Gatwick starting next May.

In a news release Monday, WestJet said executives from the company will be on hand for the announcement at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown St. John's Tuesday at noon.

According to Airline Route, the new flight is one of several the airline is offering across Canada, direct to London Gatwick Airport.

Last year, WestJet began offering flights direct between St. John's and Dublin, Ireland, resulting in tickets selling out fast for the transatlantic flight.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ight-1.3227404

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 3:56 PM

It's too bad we don't have slightly cheaper intra-province air travel. I guess the demand/numbers just aren't there.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 10:34 PM

I noticed some markings on the pavement on the Goulds bypass today between the Ruby Line and Doyles Rd.
I'm guessing (hoping) it's in preparation for resurfacing?
Has anyone heard anything on that?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 4:26 PM

Work is under way to resurface the Goulds Bypass as I suspected recently. I missed the traffic jams but drove on it yesterday. The top layer of asphalt has been stripped off from Doyles Road to the Ruby Line. There are several areas where the bottom layer has either been stripped or disintegrated completely.
It's great to see this badly needed work underway - hope it doesn't take too long. LOL.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 4:44 PM

New direct flight from St. John's to Orlando coming soon

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...line-1.3260298

Quote:
Good news for travellers heading to the sunshine state of Florida from Newfoundland and Labrador.

National Airlines will be offering a new non-stop flight from St. John's International Airport to Orlando Sanford International Airport in Florida starting January 2016.

Introductory one-way fares from St. John's YYT start at $229. National is promising its passengers reserved seating, an in-flight meal and a checked bag at no extra charge.

The airline said its service focuses on giving the traveller a comfortable experience at a great price.

"We think travellers will agree. Just give us the opportunity to introduce you to our 'Inclusive Fares, Exclusive Service,' approach to air travel," National's Manager of Network Planning and Strategy Dennis Daley said in a statement.

National will also be offering flights from Windsor, Vancouver, Las Vegas and San Juan. They have partnered with Tourico Holidays to offer customers a one stop shopping experience when booking vacation packages.

The company is based out of Orlando and has been transporting people and cargo for more than 20 years. It says its diverse charter operations make this extension of service a good fit for the company.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 9:49 PM

Happy to see the Goulds Bypass resurfacing is practically complete! All that remains is to repaint the lines and turn markings. That only took roughly a week which has to be a record considering the glacial pace of road construction around here. Hope it stands up is all.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 5:37 PM

Does anyone know how work is proceeding at the airport regarding the main runway / new landing system?
While I'm at it does anyone know why they haven't designed a parking garage to go with the airport expansion? Considering that we have THE worst weather in the country I figured they'd build one.
I think St. John's is the only airport in Canada that I've been to that doesn't have a parking garage ( except Yellowknife ). Mind you I haven't been to them all, but considering our weather...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Does anyone know how work is proceeding at the airport regarding the main runway / new landing system?
While I'm at it does anyone know why they haven't designed a parking garage to go with the airport expansion? Considering that we have THE worst weather in the country I figured they'd build one.
I think St. John's is the only airport in Canada that I've been to that doesn't have a parking garage ( except Yellowknife ). Mind you I haven't been to them all, but considering our weather...
I agree that they messed up by not building a parking structure. I had to check based on my curiosity, and the further spot from the door in long term parking is approximately 250 meters away. Not a very nice walk in the winter when the weather is bad and you are lugging bags.

I have no idea on how work is proceeding with the runways. I've noticed there are planes landing on the main runway again.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 1:34 AM

The work at the airport is better than 85% complete. Runway 11/29 is open full-length and was in heavy use the past few days with the heavy wind. The ILS isn't working on that main runway yet, though.The project was supposed to be complete by end-November and looks like it will meet that. I saw some 'notam' (notice to airman) messages indcating the ILS might be back as early as Nov 18.

BTW : Google satellite imagery for us has been updated to Sept 5th and you can see progress on all the local projects, including airport runway work and terminal expansion .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's