HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 11:00 PM
Living With My Mother

I was just wondering what happened to Sylvia. She's been quite.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:38 AM

Arrow Former cinema space

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_junkie1 View Post
Up where the "theaters" were is a door with a window on it... When I went up there the other day, that "window" was missing, so I peaked my head in to see what was going on as its a pretty huge opening... If you ask me, I have a hunch that they want to still put a theater in there even though at this point in time they don't have a "leasee" for it. Now I know Sylvia has been "inquiring" to Cindy at RC and she's said "we don't know yet", that doesn't mean anything because if something isn't announced, someone ain't gonna be talking stuff...

The space is clean but gutted, but its still "split" to be a theater with the wall to the right just drywall now because it connects to the addition and will all be 1 space when completed... I just find it weird that if they weren't planning on putting theaters in there again, they would've knocked the theater dividers down and called it a day. Something is up... Regardless of what it may be, it is of no interest to me because I don't frequent those kinds of places...

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents on what I saw the other day. The addition is looking good up there. Less then a year now
At the end of July and the beginning of this month, when I was attending the Chamber Fest, I did walk inside the Rideau Centre a lot, because I tried the different restaurants in the new food court and even the one in Nordstrom. That is when I watched 3:00 p.m concerts at the National Gallery of Canada. I always walk there to see how much progress which they are making at the Rideau Centre. I did notice myself that there was a window at the door where the former cinemas once stood. I never looked in, because I was afraid that I might ended up getting into trouble. I am always afraid to do something illegal. Am I going to get into trouble, if I take a peak at the window? I am definitely curious to know what the cinemas look like demolished. Do you by chance have a photo of the demolished cinemas which you can show me? I wrote to the manager Ms. Vanbuskirk last week and she told me that she still does not have a permanent lease for the former cinemas. I always ask once in a while. One lady who goes to my church told me that they were thinking of putting a spa there, but she was not sure. She told me that Cadillac Fairview does not want to put anymore movie theatres, because movie theatres are not making enough money. Most people nowadays just prefer to watch movies in the computer or on paid TV which is satellite.

loga0082

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:42 AM

Exclamation I am here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I was just wondering what happened to Sylvia. She's been quite.
I still participate in the forums except not all of them. I tend to participate in forums in which I know a lot about the places. I participated in a forum two days ago about Robinson Avenue, because I walk down this street regularly. I participate in the Rideau Centre, Lansdowne park, St. Patrick's, Lebreton flats, and Rideau Street near the Metro. I took part in the University of Ottawa Alex Trebek alumni building.

Have you looked inside the window of the door of the former Rideau Centre cinemas?

loga0082

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 4:22 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

I did take a few pictures and one day I'll figure out how to post them on here... Its easy, but I'll do it eventually...

I still think that there is a "chance" that they might put one back... Why gut the space but keep the skeleton exactly as it was but just take out the risers and drywall... Seems a little strange, but for whatever it is, the space will open up to the new addition... It'll be interesting to see what happens with the space. Its pretty spacious and could be used for something cool, but whatever moves in will have super-incredibly high ceilings... no retailer wants that because it costs more to heat or cool. Remember there's also a "mezzanine" in that space which can be seen on the left side. There's no way it'll be a restoraunt because there seems to be one opening up next door from the looks of a patio already being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loga0082 View Post
At the end of July and the beginning of this month, when I was attending the Chamber Fest, I did walk inside the Rideau Centre a lot, because I tried the different restaurants in the new food court and even the one in Nordstrom. That is when I watched 3:00 p.m concerts at the National Gallery of Canada. I always walk there to see how much progress which they are making at the Rideau Centre. I did notice myself that there was a window at the door where the former cinemas once stood. I never looked in, because I was afraid that I might ended up getting into trouble. I am always afraid to do something illegal. Am I going to get into trouble, if I take a peak at the window? I am definitely curious to know what the cinemas look like demolished. Do you by chance have a photo of the demolished cinemas which you can show me? I wrote to the manager Ms. Vanbuskirk last week and she told me that she still does not have a permanent lease for the former cinemas. I always ask once in a while. One lady who goes to my church told me that they were thinking of putting a spa there, but she was not sure. She told me that Cadillac Fairview does not want to put anymore movie theatres, because movie theatres are not making enough money. Most people nowadays just prefer to watch movies in the computer or on paid TV which is satellite.

loga0082

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Have you looked inside the window of the door of the former Rideau Centre cinemas?
Can someone please get me a tshirt that says this? Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 2:21 AM

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 2:44 AM

Mykl, what does the tshirt have anything to do with the opened window in the door where the former cinemas once stood? Have you looked inside the window to see what the demolished cinemas look like? Do you have a photo of it? Sooner or later, the manager Ms. Vanbuskirk will eventually will have to come up with a permanent lease for this place. It cannot stay empty like that. The Shoppers Drug Mart is going in the place where the old food court once stood. The LCBO is suppose to go where Jacob's was situated. Stuart Weitzman and Occitane are going in the location where Town Shoes once was.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 5:32 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

I think he was being funny... It worked lol

I'm not sure why you keep repeating stuff that has already been established a few posts back :-/

Also, seems everyone gave up on who's moving into half of shoppers... Lol

As for the precious cinema space, I'm sure something is already planned for it, but because it's not announced yet, Cindy won't just tell YOU what is going to be there. I took a few pictures of the space. They're doing something in there and it opens up to the new addition. Worst case, you'll find out in 11 months what may potentially be there.

Keep checking the RC website for future updates... It'll happen eventually.

Quote:
Mykl, what does the tshirt have anything to do with the opened window in the door where the former cinemas once stood? Have you looked inside the window to see what the demolished cinemas look like? Do you have a photo of it? Sooner or later, the manager Ms. Vanbuskirk will eventually will have to come up with a permanent lease for this place. It cannot stay empty like that. The Shoppers Drug Mart is going in the place where the old food court once stood. The LCBO is suppose to go where Jacob's was situated. Stuart Weitzman and Occitane are going in the location where Town Shoes once was.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 12:26 PM

Sorry macjunkie! I have noticed it myself, when I went to the roof terrace that the expansion is connecting to the former cinemas. Simon's is going to be on four floors. That is what I believe. Once everything is finished,then I will wait and see what the former cinemas will be. Sorry that I have caused you any trouble!

Loga0082

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Sorry macjunkie! I have noticed it myself, when I went to the roof terrace that the expansion is connecting to the former cinemas. Simon's is going to be on four floors. That is what I believe. Once everything is finished,then I will wait and see what the former cinemas will be. Sorry that I have caused you any trouble!

Loga0082
they should make it a Proactive Outlet. It appears this product does quite well in Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:06 PM
Living With My Mother

Okay guys. Knock it off.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:16 PM

Post Proactive outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
they should make it a Proactive Outlet. It appears this product does quite well in Ottawa.
It is true that the 2nd floor of the Bay does not have a Proactive section anymore. Proactive does sell some good skin care products, because I use them and it helped with my skin. The former cinema space will be too big for a proactive outlet. I do not believe that proactive will sell many different products.

Loga0082

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:04 AM

I hope this hasn't been mentioned before (I would hate to repeat info that's already been talked about), but I just got back from a month in Europe. While there, I was in a men's store called Strellson, and the sales associate told me that the company was planning to expand into Canada (it is a Swiss brand). I googled the brand today, and sure enough - they intend to move into the Rideau Centre expansion next summer!
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/08/s...-opening-fall/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 1:52 AM

I do recall that I did read the article and they were going to put a mens' store called 'Stellson' in the expansion. I kind of forgot about it, because I am not a man. You might enjoy this store. There is an expanded 'Harry Rosen', a new 'Jack & Jones', a 'Banana Republic' for Men, a 'Club Monaco' for men, and a Nordstrom. Do you shop in those particular stores?

loga0082

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:23 AM

Haha Sylvia - I'm not a man either! I was just picking something out for my husband! And I have shopped at Nordstrom - mostly for shoes.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:47 AM

Lightbulb Apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
Haha Sylvia - I'm not a man either! I was just picking something out for my husband! And I have shopped at Nordstrom - mostly for shoes.
I am so sorry. I did not know whether you were a man or woman. I just got confused with your username. I cannot buy any mens outfits for my father and brother-in-law, because I do not know their sizes and I am not familiar with mens' clothes. I also bought a new pair of sandals at Nordstrom and they are so nice and comfortable. My old pair broke and I had to throw them away.

loga0082

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:28 PM

I'm a man and I like Strellson. They have top quality/accessible/trendy work wear. You can buy this stuff at the Bay, right now!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 7:32 PM

The Bay carries Strellson? Sweet! Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
The Bay carries Strellson? Sweet! Thanks!
The Rideau Centre location carries Strellson, I haven't seen it at the other Bay locations.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:36 AM

By the way, I walked to the Rideau Centre today. I went up the fourth floor and I realized that they changed the door to the entrance where the former cinemas were. I took a peek at the tiny spaces and I did see that the cinema space was completely demolished. I saw the drywall with gray bricks. I also noticed, when I went out to the roof terrace that the expansion which probably be Simons is connecting the wall where the big sign 'CINEMAS' use to be. The former cinema space looks completely clear.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa