HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 4:17 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Jun 18, 2014

http://www.capebretonpost.com/
http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local-1968/1

Quote:
Sydney motorcycle rally roaring back to life

Updated at 19:12 - SYDNEY — An effort is underway to keep alive a bike rally that, despite experiencing financial challenges, has attracted thousands...

This one has a rendering of the two-lane roundabout proposed for Hwy125-Grand Lake Rd-Welton St-SPAR Rd intersection...it is the messiest roundabout I've ever seen. I wish I could post the render here, but take a look for yourself by going to the website (I didn't see it yet on the NSTIR website).
Quote:
Pedestrian overpass final ‘link’ to Grand Lake Road multi-use path

Updated at 23:35 - A safe passage for pedestrians and cyclists through the busiest intersection in Cape Breton was granted Wednesday.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 5:57 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Sep 9, 2014 headlines

I'll be popping in here and there when I can. Hopefully there won't be another period of not-posting as long as this last one.

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local-1968/3
Quote:
Joneljim wins Maritime Link site preparation work
Quote:
Highway 125 work to begin again this week

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 6:08 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Sep 12, 2014 headlines

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local-1968

Quote:
Membertou rink project gets $6M from Ottawa

Quote:
Embers barbecue reopens on Charlotte Street

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 6:19 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Iron Ore Pelletization Plant update

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ey-steel-lands

Quote:
Severstal eyes former Sydney Steel lands
This article quotes the project size at $800M creating 700 direct jobs. The lot in question is a 24 hectare parcel near the PEV Coal Pier and old SYSCO crane.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 11:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good to see you back Smevo, you've been quiet recently.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 7:06 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

^Thanks. I will probably still be fairly quiet, but I want to keep this thread updated on the occasions that I have the chance to do so.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:11 AM

Harbour Royale Development

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...owntown-sydney

... some potentially positive news coming out of downtown Sydney. If the project goes through, it would be directly across from Commerce Tower on Esplanade.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 4:26 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

^Nice. I was getting a feeling he was looking into this area again. Considering how much he's changed things to try to satisfy the planning strategy which was brought in to stop his previous development, this should hopefully be approved. Say what you want about the state of the residential market, Chrernin is good at making money with his developments.

I was just home last week, it's feeling quite upbeat, and from what I hear things are starting to get busy again after a short lull. I have some pictures I will try to get on in the next couple of weeks (might be a while). Mostly just the new rec centre in Membertou and a walk along the trail of Open Hearth Park north of Ferry St. Will be back again September long weekend, maybe I'll get a chance to add some more photos then.

Outside of Membertou's developments (that reserve feels like it's bursting at the seams), the only real update I have is the Highway 125 twinning. It's now twinned as far as Membertou, with what looks like final subgrade level being finished to Grand Lake Rd, so should be starting with base gravel soon (if not already since I left), though still some work to do around the abutments of the new George St/Mira Rd overpass. Also, the rutting between Grand Lake Rd and George St is terrible, you can take your hands off the wheel through most of it and the ruts would steer for you. That will have to be fixed after the new lanes are open.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 8:31 PM

New BMO Bank of Montreal Branch

There is a new BMO Bank of Montreal branch under construction at the Sydney Shopping Centre on Prince St.

Looks like the existing Ashby branch on Prince Street will be closing. Not sure the fate of the historic Charlotte Street branch (iconic building on the corner of Charlotte and Dorchester).

I would hate to see the old Charlotte Street branch close, but cannot foresee two branches being open so close to each other.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
There is a new BMO Bank of Montreal branch under construction at the Sydney Shopping Centre on Prince St.

Looks like the existing Ashby branch on Prince Street will be closing. Not sure the fate of the historic Charlotte Street branch (iconic building on the corner of Charlotte and Dorchester).

I would hate to see the old Charlotte Street branch close, but cannot foresee two branches being open so close to each other.
Just an update: both Ashby and Charlotte branches will be closing when the new branch opens at the Sydney Shopping Centre.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 1:18 AM

I don't know if this was posted or not, but here is the new logo for the new NBL Canada team, the Cape Breton Highlanders. They will begin play in 2016/17

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:30 PM

That logo looks like it was designed for a team starting play in the 1986/87 season, not 16/17.

Having said that, it will be interesting to see what kind of support they get. I've always wanted to check out a game in the NBL to see what the level of play is like. I've heard mixed things, but apparently Rainmen games in Halifax can be a pretty fun time.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 8:25 PM
I have no Title

Whats up Sydney?

So nothing going on in Sydney for 6 months, Just thought I would see if anyone has any info?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 12:04 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

^Haven't had many chances to keep up with things there. Still trying to find time here and there, but it's become much more limited with a 1 year old "little Smevo" running around the house. Hoping to get a chance one evening this week to get re-acquainted with what's happening.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:21 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Headline searching: July 12, 2016 Cape Breton Post

July 12, 2016 - Chase the Ace provides Branch 138, Horizon Achievement Centre with funds

$764,000 of the money raised goes towards the $2M fundraising portion for the new Horizon Achievement Centre in Harbourside commercial park.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:27 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

July 14, 2016 Cape Breton Post

July 14, 2016 - Old Sydney Society plans to make old bank a museum

This is the old Bank of Montreal on the corner of Dorchester St. and Charlotte St.

July 14, 2016 - Work on reopening Donkin mine continues

The target is to start production this year. They're currently making repairs to the mine shafts.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:55 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

June 17, 2016 CBC

I don't see replacing an old building by moving into an even older (though recently renovated) building as a step forward for the library, but maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Sydney's library committee has found new locations, may have a partner
New Dawn Enterprises says the former Holy Angels site has potential

By George Mortimer, CBC News Posted: Jun 17, 2016 6:30 AM AT Last Updated: Jun 17, 2016 6:30 AM AT

The chair of the library building committee, Pat Bates, says three more sites have since been found, including the former Holy Angels High School property.

He says a couple more sites on George Street are also now in the running; the vacant lot where the former UCCB pub once stood, and another that Bates wouldn't name.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:58 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

June 13, 2016 CBC

I definitely didn't recognize it when I saw the picture (though I didn't go to this school personally)

Quote:
Sydney's Cornwallis School transformed into apartments
The building has been completely transformed into a seniors apartment complex.

By George Mortimer, CBC News Posted: Jun 13, 2016 6:15 AM AT Last Updated: Jun 13, 2016 6:15 AM AT

There are 16 units in the building, each with new appliances, in-floor heating, a washer/dryer and even a balcony.

Saunders expects that all of the units will be rented within the next few weeks. He says he's moving on to other projects but is keeping his eye open for other buildings to renovate for the seniors market.

Saunders has named Cornwallis School, Maryton Place, in memory of his late mother Mary.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
I definitely didn't recognize it when I saw the picture (though I didn't go to this school personally)
You have to admit they did do a good job keeping the door, and window locations, and the shape of the building original, and the new siding windows, and doors look a lot better then what was there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces