HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 9:38 PM

stu_pendousmat2, have you seen any info on the condo's being built out at Royal Oaks golf course?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 5:08 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorGuy View Post
stu_pendousmat2, have you seen any info on the condo's being built out at Royal Oaks golf course?
nah, I have no idea lol Ill keep my eyes open though, that area is in constant development mode, same as the evergreen area, and now the old CN lot across the street from the 4-ice center...its hard to keep track of those places sometimes, not that I mind that

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 4:24 PM

Retail

Champlain Place; come see why "It's Better in Here". Check out these new retailers opening soon:

Ben Moss Jewellers

Cassis

Mexx/Mexx Kids

Claire France

Stay tuned for more exciting retailer announcements in April
(I expect it will be about the "Future Shop" vacant space.)

Moreover, Jacob connexion, La Vie en Rose and Mountain Coop equipement will plan to set up a store in mapleton road in the brand new Ashcroft development power center. Les Restaurants St-Hubert plans get another restaurant in Moncton area just across new Future shop owned by Montreal-based Boccolinni in 2007. At this point, I don`t have any other news about Avide and Factory outlet projects in other corners of mapleton road and highway 2

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Feb 21, 2007 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 8:51 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
Retail

Champlain Place; come see why "It's Better in Here". Check out these new retailers opening soon:

Ben Moss Jewellers

Cassis

Mexx/Mexx Kids

Claire France

Stay tuned for more exciting retailer announcements in April
(I expect it will be about the "Future Shop" vacant space.)

Moreover, Jacob connexion, La Vie en Rose and Mountain Coop equipement will plan to set up a store in mapleton road in the brand new Ashcroft development power center. Les Restaurants St-Hubert plans get another restaurant in Moncton area just across new Future shop owned by Montreal-based Boccolinni in 2007. At this point, I don`t have any other news about Avide and Factory outlet projects in other corners of mapleton road and highway 2

Sweet! yeah, Champlain has no problem filling spaces lol they usually have a line up...and thats great that MEC is on board for Mapelton, I love that place

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Sweet! yeah, Champlain has no problem filling spaces lol they usually have a line up...and thats great that MEC is on board for Mapelton, I love that place
Could you explain to what going on four corners ?

I know, there will be a Factory outlet, strip mall, hotel...?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:21 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
Could you explain to what going on four corners ?

I know, there will be a Factory outlet, strip mall, hotel...?
Thats about all I have heard too, my g/f lives about 2 mins away from that area so Im around it often, but as of now I have no idea besides what you just said...hopefully we will see some things popping up around there soon!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Thats about all I have heard too, my g/f lives about 2 mins away from that area so Im around it often, but as of now I have no idea besides what you just said...hopefully we will see some things popping up around there soon!
I think the city will twice mapleton street until highway 2 corner. Each corners of mapleton and highway 2 will get a development. But i`m not sure if the Coop Mountain will be across Costco or overthere.

Metro retail mecca grows again

Tenants for big box retail project off Mapleton Road near Costco to start construction by spring

By Rod Allen
Times & Transcript Staff
As published on page A1 on November 25, 2006

A lightning-fast clear-cutting job on the last undeveloped corner of Northwest Moncton's mighty Trinity Power Centre will have the rumour mill spinning among Atlantic Canada's shopaholics this weekend.

Moncton's Ashford Investments Ltd. - one of Toronto-based Verdiroc's partners for a proposed downtown convention centre and currently involved in such projects as the renovation of the old YMCA headquarters on Highfield Street - created a new company division called Mapleton Power Centre to buy the 33-acre lot across from the Costco Store just north of the Mapleton Road ramp off Wheeler Boulevard.

A crew with a tree harvester worked through the night Thursday to clear the heavily treed lot because the developers are in a hurry.

But for what?

The rumour mill will just have to keep spinning for a week or two, Ashford President Patrick Gillespie laughed in an interview yesterday.

Gillespie said grubbing and levelling work will begin immediately and continue as long as weather permits because tenants are lined up and ready to start construction no later than next spring and, in at least one case, possibly before that.

However, the tenants want to handle their own press as they see fit and Ashford itself won't be making any formal announcement about the project for at least a couple of weeks, said Gillespie, adding that publicity is in the hands of Hawk Communications.

Hawk President Bill Whalen was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Frampton Lane was recently extended to connect with Mapleton and, according to the City of Moncton's planning department, the Ashford project will rely on that new intersection at the bottom of the hill for shoppers' access and egress.

About five acres of the property will be required for setback from the brook running alongside it and for roadways, and the remaining 28 for parking and several retailers.

Gillespie said the site is designed ideally for several 'big box' stores.

However, for the time being shoppers will have to just throw some names on a wish list - Santa might be reading about retailers like L.L. Bean, Mountain Equipment Co-op and Jacob Connection and such restaurant chains as Jack Astor in the coming weeks - and wait patiently.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Feb 21, 2007 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:40 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Moncton Flight College outgrows its home airport

Location of school's new satellite campus will be announced within weeks

Times & Transcript (Moncton)
Sat 24 Feb 2007
By Brent Mazerolle Times & Transcript Staff

The Moncton Flight College is one of Metro Moncton's greatest success stories and as it approaches its 80th year in operation, it looks like it has finally outgrown its airport.

MFC and CANLink Aviation, a division of Saint John's CANLink Global, announced they were entering into a more formal partnership yesterday, following the success of their joint efforts in China to land the largest pilot training contract in Canadian history.

Now with a half-dozen other airlines around the world negotiating to train pilots at Canada's largest flight school, MFC has reached a franchise agreement with CLA that will see a satellite campus set up at another airport.

A media release put out yesterday by the Moncton Flight College said the location of the new campus will be announced in a matter of weeks.

Principal Mike Doiron wasn't prepared to disclose the location yesterday but did say it would be in New Brunswick.

"The limiting factor is air space," Doiron said of the need to look beyond Metro Moncton's horizon. "We need lots of room to maneuver out of each other's way."

It is also not cost efficient or particularly educational to have planes and their pilots stacked up on the tarmac facing long waits for take-off clearance. It was decided creating capacity at another airport was the way to go. "We also don't want to adversely affect the airport's commercial traffic business," Doiron said.Last May, MFC signed a pilot training contract with the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics worth $13 million. The contract is expected to grow to over $60 million in the next five years.

So far, three cadres of 30 Chinese flight students have come to Moncton. There will be two more this year, a group arriving in April and another in August.

It is the anticipated contracts with other airlines that is driving the development of the second campus.

Meanwhile the future of aviation looks bright indeed. Doiron said industry analysts predict a worldwide need for as many as 350,000 new pilots over the next 20 years, and that's a projection of aviation's growth, minus considerations of pilot retirements. China alone estimates needing 11,000 new pilots by 2010, and another 18,000 by 2015.

While there are flight schools in Canada with more aircraft, Doiron said as best he can figure in the face of competitive secrecy about student numbers, MFC has the largest enrollment in the nation.

It is able to handle a maximum of 240 flight students and Doiron said the Chinese contract alone has almost doubled the school's operation.

Just in the past six months, the school has hired 35 new staff, mostly flight instructors, maintenance crew and dispatchers. The school has a fleet of two dozen aircraft and plans to purchase three to six more in the next six months.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:42 AM
Our Tide is Rising

this should help the cities international immagration #s a bit...altough I dont know if students are counted

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 2:29 PM

The Brick heads to Moncton

a furniture, appliance and electronics retailer not yet in New Brunswick - will anchor the new 250,000-square foot Mapleton Power Centre development.

Joe Ramia, president of Rank Incorporated, the property holding company that has rights to extend The Brick franchise in Atlantic Canada, happily confirmed the news yesterday.

He said he's pleased to move the business into uncharted territory.

"This will be the first store in New Brunswick and that will be kind of an anchor for the market. We hope to offer something that will be different than what's being offered in the market - a good product at a fantastic price," he said.

The Brick is a full-service home furnishing retailer that offers furniture, electronics, home office, mattresses, appliances and clearance items.

The store is the first retailer to publicly confirm its interest in Moncton's newest shopping centre. With about 250,000 square feet, The Brick won't be the last.

Patrick Gillespie, president of Ashford Investments, said the new project is close to having commitments for its entire square footage, about 20 or so tenants.

"I think the first group of folks will be open for business before Christmas 2007. If they can't get open before October or November, then they'll be open by March," he said.

The development will be divided among three major offerings: fashions and apparel, home furnishings and home decorating, and restaurants and service stores.

Another retailer rumoured to be considering the move to the Mapleton Power Centre is Linens 'n Things, a home decorating giant recently made more popular by Nate Berkus, an interior decorator regularly featured on Oprah Winfrey.

Kevin Green, president of Toronto-based Verdiroc Development Corp., a partner in the project, said the location is perfect for a new retail node with Costco, Home Depot and Wal-Mart anchoring the other three corners.

"This lends itself to a great shopping district where people can get whatever they need at all times," he said.

"Moncton is a growing city with solid planning principles and it's just a good place to invest."

He declined comment on the other tenants, but said the centre would certainly provide Metro Moncton residents and shoppers from the region with unique fashion offerings.

Construction can begin on the new power centre as soon as crews level the property. With the ground frozen solid under a blanket of snow, it will likely be a few weeks before crews are able to dig up the property and spread the earth around.

When its completed, the project will likely be in the $45-million range, Gillespie said.

"It's a good-sized project. Right now the demand for the fashion stuff is so high, that's what we're juggling. We might limit the restaurants because of the demand by retailers," he said.

The project is so good in fact, it has netted capital from KingSett Capital, a private equity fund focused entirely on real estate in Canada.

Scott Coates, vice-president real estate finance, said the project was a great way to expand its business into Atlantic Canada.

"There's a couple of reasons we like it. One is the location. It's the perfect location for retail use. You're going to have a tremendous amount of traffic. The other reason is we'd like to be doing more in eastern Canada and this is sort of our getting our toes wet down there. We'd like to continue to invest more money in the area," he said.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 4:41 PM

I bit surprised Moncton doesn't have the Brick already.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I bit surprised Moncton doesn't have the Brick already.
Yeah, there's stores in Halifax and New Glasgow. I have no idea why they would have expanded to New Glasgow before Moncton, but whatever, guess it wont matter anymore lol.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 10:28 PM
Nashwaaksissy

I saw an ad for The Brick on tonight's CBC New Brunswick news at 6:00.

Jumping the gun a bit, eh?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 11:14 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

There's a Brick in New Glasgow? Wonder if they're planning on expanding elsewhere (eg- Sydney, Saint John, Charlottetown).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
There's a Brick in New Glasgow? Wonder if they're planning on expanding elsewhere (eg- Sydney, Saint John, Charlottetown).
There has been a Brick in Charlottetown for about 3 years (+/-) now. Linens 'n Things should be opening within the next week or so in the Power Centre on the Western side of Charlottetown. They have been building it for the past 4 months or so.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 11:38 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

^cool. I guess I'm a little behind in keeping up with where the retail developments are going.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 12:38 AM

Anyone know who owns 683 Main Street?

Also anyone got any good pictures of the historic buildings on mainstreet? Was there today and have some ideas but was unable to snap a few photos.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 12:59 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

There's some photos here. I know Serge had some great photos of Main St., but I don't have the link to them.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
There's some photos here. I know Serge had some great photos of Main St., but I don't have the link to them.
Excellent, exactly what i was looking for. Hey nice shot of Cameron Arms too

Main Street historic buildings are very cool, and think there could be some interesting projects done that utilize there architecture.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 1:43 AM

Until now Ashford Investments will likely get Brick, Mountain Coop Equipment, Jacob Connexion,Linens 'n Things and Jack Astor as well within his new power center

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Mar 1, 2007 at 5:11 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces