HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 9:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fingers crossed for the high end exterior as well.

But, meh... even just what's there, fixed up, would be preferable to the eyesore we've had, basically, for an entire generation.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:27 PM

I have "Development" envy!

http://pdcentre.ca/construction-site/list

I stumbled on this site outlining many of the active and proposed developments for the greater Halifax area. Some very interesting stuff going on...I wish we had half that much to discuss.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I have "Development" envy!

http://pdcentre.ca/construction-site/list

I stumbled on this site outlining many of the active and proposed developments for the greater Halifax area. Some very interesting stuff going on...I wish we had half that much to discuss.
A lot of them appear to be 'approved' or 'planned'

We have a lot of those too, not sure what the status is.

Whatever happened to:
1. Lighthouse project
2. Condos on Lemarchant/Lime
3. Marriott Extension
4. Tiffany Village towers
5. AP Parking garage hotel

and the list goes on...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 6:23 PM

The City of St. John’s is looking for input as to what Water St. should look like after the “big dig”.
Is there really that much that can be done with it? Let’s face it, it is a narrow street with narrow sidewalks, it gets full of snow in the winter and it is a bugger to keep it clean (using current techniques). With that as a starting point, what do we suggest?
Heated sidewalks - It has been mentioned in various forums before that this should be considered. As much as I generally protest the way the City spends money this could be something that should get some consideration to at least look at the cost/benefit. Obviously they will be no match for 30cm of blowing snow but for 90% of the other snow events we have over the winter they might just work.
Green space – Other cities manage to plant trees along their downtown streets, why can’t we, other than for the obvious reason of snow removal. (the same reason all parking meters were moved back). Maybe we could sacrifice a few parking spots ever block to accommodate something green of “restful”. Again, snow clearing will be the deciding factor.
Lighting – the “Victorian” lighting needs to be enhanced and the many laneways need better lighting too.
I’m sure there are many things that can be improved, hopefully the good ideas will come to the surface, but with the City running things, be scared, be very scared.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The City of St. John’s is looking for input as to what Water St. should look like after the “big dig”.
Is there really that much that can be done with it? Let’s face it, it is a narrow street with narrow sidewalks, it gets full of snow in the winter and it is a bugger to keep it clean (using current techniques). With that as a starting point, what do we suggest?
Heated sidewalks - It has been mentioned in various forums before that this should be considered. As much as I generally protest the way the City spends money this could be something that should get some consideration to at least look at the cost/benefit. Obviously they will be no match for 30cm of blowing snow but for 90% of the other snow events we have over the winter they might just work.
Green space – Other cities manage to plant trees along their downtown streets, why can’t we, other than for the obvious reason of snow removal. (the same reason all parking meters were moved back). Maybe we could sacrifice a few parking spots ever block to accommodate something green of “restful”. Again, snow clearing will be the deciding factor.
Lighting – the “Victorian” lighting needs to be enhanced and the many laneways need better lighting too.
I’m sure there are many things that can be improved, hopefully the good ideas will come to the surface, but with the City running things, be scared, be very scared.
I see a very simple and effective solution that may be painful but it would have a drastic effect on downtown IMO...get rid of vehicle street parking on Water Street and use some of that extra space to increase the walk-able area. By eliminating parking on water street not only would you increase the amount of walkable space you would also cut down on the bumper to bumper traffic as half the amount of traffic on that road at any given time is simply people looking for parking spots. Also while you are increasing the width of the sidewalks you could "fancyify" them and the lighting. Add some bike racks/park benches/small plants/extra garbage and recycling cans along the sidewalk. Allow restaurants to add patios in front.

This would probably also make snow clearing easier in the winter.

If anyone argues "but!..but the parking!" you are just effectively advocating for the status quo.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:49 PM

I don’t necessarily disagree with your proposal however you must agree that it would be hard sell. But when you really think about it, how much parking would you lose and could it be regained by creative solutions.

I don’t know exactly how many metered parking spots there are on Water St between Prescott and Waldegrave but by some rough calculation my estimate is maybe 450-500, could be less. Removing some or all of these should not be a hardship, and in fact may be an opportunity for privately operated lots/garages.

Your thoughts about a more walkable street are good. I like the idea of wider sidewalks and opportunities for “café seating” for restaurants and coffee shops. Granted, the season for outside seating is short but it does add life to the street. A few more “rest spots” similar to the one on the corner of Duckworth and Prescott and those by the vilified harbor fence would be nice as well.

I’m sure many people can come up with some good creative ideas however it really is going to come down to parking and traffic flow, all else be damned.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:
I don’t necessarily disagree with your proposal however you must agree that it would be hard sell. But when you really think about it, how much parking would you lose and could it be regained by creative solutions.

I don’t know exactly how many metered parking spots there are on Water St between Prescott and Waldegrave but by some rough calculation my estimate is maybe 450-500, could be less. Removing some or all of these should not be a hardship, and in fact may be an opportunity for privately operated lots/garages.

Your thoughts about a more walkable street are good. I like the idea of wider sidewalks and opportunities for “café seating” for restaurants and coffee shops. Granted, the season for outside seating is short but it does add life to the street. A few more “rest spots” similar to the one on the corner of Duckworth and Prescott and those by the vilified harbor fence would be nice as well.

I’m sure many people can come up with some good creative ideas however it really is going to come down to parking and traffic flow, all else be damned.
I went on google maps satellite view and figure it is much less than 450-500 along that section of water st. Looks more like half that in the 225 range in my estimate.

The reality is Water street is narrow and doesn't have the space to accommodate vehicle parking and a maintain a very pedestrian friendly street. Those 200+ spots be damned IMO. If people really want Water St to change they have to be removed in order to seriously change the nature of that street. If you keep the vehicle parking there I don't care what other upgrades you do to water st because it won't really matter. You'll continue to have vehicle dominated street that is congested and not pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I went on google maps satellite view and figure it is much less than 450-500 along that section of water st. Looks more like half that in the 225 range in my estimate.
It that all? Okay, so I was a bit generous in my estimate. If it is only 225 -250 then that should be much easier to make up elsewhere.

On a related note, I hear that the new MetroPark is offering Toonie Tuesdays for the next couple of months. Sounds like they are having trouble attracting drivers willing to pay for parking.

I guess it all goes back to every driver's expectation that they have a right to park within 10 feet of every establishment they wish to frequent...be it downtown or at the Mall.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:48 PM

Some news regarding the Salvation Army properties on Springdale Street.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ntre-1.3213006

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 12:28 AM

St. John's building permits down by 37% so far this year

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...year-1.3218775

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:21 PM

Just heard on VOCM that new application has been submitted to the city to build a hotel on the corner of Water and Prescott. Southwest Properties proposal fell through and the land has been sold to another developer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Just heard on VOCM that new application has been submitted to the city to build a hotel on the corner of Water and Prescott. Southwest Properties proposal fell through and the land has been sold to another developer.
"fell through"

Come on, it's been dead for years, the city just didn't want to admit it.

Hopefully something really nice gets submitted for that corner

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:20 PM

New 'chic' hotel planned for Prescott-Water near St. John's harbour

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...bour-1.3230154

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:24 PM

Council Considers Empire Avenue Condo Development

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=57353&latest=1

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
New 'chic' hotel planned for Prescott-Water near St. John's harbour

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...bour-1.3230154
LOL...lovin' the comments on the CBC article. We could be in for another rough ride if the design doesn't satisfy everyone...which it won't.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Some activity finally.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
LOL...lovin' the comments on the CBC article. We could be in for another rough ride if the design doesn't satisfy everyone...which it won't.
People are complaining about the design already. You fools, nothing has been released yet

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
People are complaining about the design already. You fools, nothing has been released yet
Right! Perhaps CBC posted pics of Alt's other, Airport-adjacent properties to stir discontent.

Last edited by niccanning; Sep 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 6:16 PM

The caption on the pictures in the CBC article clearly states that they are the Halifax Airport and Winnipeg hotels...some people will get their knickers in knot over anything...without getting the facts first.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 8:31 PM

I understand why people would be mad about those designs downtown, but there's a huge difference between airport hotels and downtown hotels. I trust them to have knocked out a good design, especially considering that the heritage committee is pleased.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's