HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 2:36 AM

2 of the last 3 unused USAF buildings in the residential side of the old base are coming down next year.

Two dilapidated government-owned buildings to be taken down
Quote:
Two barracks-style buildings, which are Ernest Harmon Air Force Base vintage, are due for demolition.

Stephenville Mayor Tom O’Brien said he learned the buildings, numbers 342 and 347 Massachusetts Drive, were going to be removed after a conversation with Transportation and Works Minister David Brazil on Wednesday.

He reported the news at the regular general meeting of the Stephenville town council on Thursday.

The two buildings include one that is painted pink and hasn’t been used since the air force base closed in 1966, with the exception of Transportation and Works storing some materials there more than a decade ago. That building is located close to the former Women’s Correctional Centre.
http://www.thewesternstar.com/Busine...e-taken-down/1

There are 4 of these buildings in total, 2 that are empty will be demolished. A 3rd empty building is owned by the town and that will stay. The 4th is a prison that was recently renovated, so that one will obviously stay as well. I would be really surprised if the new courthouse didn't get built on one of the lots as they are on main roads, near the prison and current courthouse, and have ample room for parking.

So, they'll come down in 2015, which is a shame in itself since we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the base closure in 2016. Would have been kind of cool if we had let them have their 50 years first, but alas, they'll disappear from the landscape after 49 years of emptiness.

This is the pink one, it's been totally unused since 1966:

100_0653

100_2690edit

But this one is being saved. It's a former women's correctional centre and, from what I can see driving past in the evening, still has electricity turned on inside despite not being used in 20 years.

100_0652

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 5:31 PM

Apologies for the double post but I came across a little good news. Our courthouse is moving ahead! It's only the design phase, but I'm excited. This is the first government investment in new construction here since the PC government took power in 2003... it's been a while.

Architectural firm hired for Stephenville courthouse project
Quote:
The provincial government announced Wednesday it has hired Kleinfeldt Mychajlowycz Architects of Toronto to develop a plan for the new building.

Stephenville Mayor Tom O’Brien said the selection of a consultant that has lots of experience in this field is welcome news, especially since the architects will be working toward the design with people who work in the justice system.

FAST FACTS:

— Kleinfeldt Mychajlowycz Architects has been awarded a $70,000 contract to develop the plan for a new provincial court house in Stephenville.

— The firm is based in Toronto and specializes in institutional facilities and the justice sector.

— The current provincial courthouse is housed on the second floor of a building that was originally used as a military barracks.

— The courthouse is an active building — it had more than 12,000 appearances in 2013-14.

— Kleinfeldt Mychajlowycz Architects opened in 1982, and has provided programming and planning for more than 150 court rooms, valued at approximately $1 billion.
http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/L...ouse-project/1

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 1:31 PM

Salisbury Guardian Pharmacy

The roof is now on the new Guardian pharmacy in Salisbury. It is adjacent to the existing pharmacy on Main St. There was a large crane there yesterday helping put it up.

This will be a nice replacement for the existing building, as it is small and kind of run down. There are rumours of a medical clinic or office being in there as well, but I can't confirm.

Pictures to follow.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 6:25 AM

Made some tweaks to my subdivisions map for Newfoundland. Found some new imagery for the Whitbourne - Heart's Desire corridor along route 80 and found a lot of new residential in Blaketown - 4 new subdivisions.

This map is obviously incomplete, so if there's anything I've overlooked - let me know! Right now I'm only including commercial multi-lot residential subdivisions, but if there are other interesting residential projects I will put tacks up for those as well.

SUBDIVISIONS MAP

Oh and the colors don't meant anything... it changed from blue to green halfway through making it and I didn't bother to change them

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 12:19 PM

Three Major Projects opening in Woodstock.

Quote:
The Town of Woodstock along with the Woodstock Rotary Club have been working diligently to develop three major projects in the area and will soon host an opening of three major capital projects.
This significant event will be held at the Ayr Motor Centre in Woodstock on Monday, July 27th at 12:00 noon.
These three major project were developed with financial assistance provided by the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and Province of New Brunswick.
The projects include the expansion of the Ayr Motor Centre (formerly the Civic Centre), the renovation and expansion of the Community Theatre at WHS, and the expansion of the LPFisher library.

From how my mom talks about it, the feeling is that those were 1 project too many for the town to support, since much of their funding was community raised.

The Theatre had a lot of corners cut (including cutting out funding for a handicap elevator) and is having a hard time getting the inspections signed off of.

The main complaint about the Civic Centre expansion is that they just put a gym in, instead of putting in a second ice surface which the town needs.

Didn't hear much talk about the LPFisher expansion, beyond having doubt as to why the library needed expanding in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CKNI_FM

Border Crossings Getting A Make-Over Across Canada -- Starting In St. Stephen
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2015

Border crossings in Canada are getting upgraded, and St. Stephen is first in line. South-west NB MP John Williamson announcing a $32.5 million dollar investment to improve infrastructure at the Ferry Point and Milltown border crossings in St. Stephen, as well as the Campobello and St. Croix ports of entry. Williamson says, "As announced by Prime Minister Steven Harper, our government is committed to investing $440 million in infrastructure improvements, which will allow the replacement of 77 ports of entry right across the country." Williamson says the planning is in the early stages right now, construction will begin in St. Stephen in 2017, and the work will be completed across the country by 2020.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 4:51 PM

While that's just another blatant vote buying strategy, it is very needed. Woodstock's crossing is long past due for a complete overhaul. I don't think it's been touched in any significant way since it was built in the 80's, and really it is too small for the traffic it usually gets. (Usually it only has 1 route open; at most it can only have 4 and that's pushing it)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 9:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
While that's just another blatant vote buying strategy
How are improving border crossings vote buying? If anything, we're having to catch up with the Americans increasing requirements on becoming a security dome.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
How are improving border crossings vote buying? If anything, we're having to catch up with the Americans increasing requirements on becoming a security dome.
I agree that these are greatly needed, especially in NB. But I consider it "vote buying" because it's oh so coincidental that these big spending announcements come in the months before the election, whereas at any other time, those upgrades are considered nonessential and/or too expensive to waste money on in these tough times.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:31 PM
ハルウララ

Gallant on record saying that a "thousands of jobs on way" in St. Stephen yesterday, according to the Telegraph Journal.

"It's not from us so I can't do it tonight, if you're wondering, and media are probably going to try to push me to say. I won't be able to, but this will create thousands of jobs and I will venture to say that you will have a hard time finding a hotel room that will be empty in the southwest of New Brunswick over the next few months because of this project."

"These are things that are going to help stimulate the economy, it's going to create jobs and it's going to set ourselves up for long-term economic growth....if it makes you feel better it's going to come in the next 48 hours, I believe, so you won't have to wait too long to find out what this investment is, but it's going to be a significant amount. It's certainly going to help out our economy here in the southwest."

May or may not have anything to do with Energy East. May or may not have anything to do with Irving. May or may not have anything to do with Maine. Given Gallant i'm expecting a bit of an exaggeration, but we can start taking bets..

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sounds like hyperbole to me, Gallant may be grasping at straws as the unemployment rate has gone up considerably since the Liberals took power, but we'll see.......

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Gallant on record saying that a "thousands of jobs on way" in St. Stephen yesterday, according to the Telegraph Journal.

"It's not from us so I can't do it tonight, if you're wondering, and media are probably going to try to push me to say. I won't be able to, but this will create thousands of jobs and I will venture to say that you will have a hard time finding a hotel room that will be empty in the southwest of New Brunswick over the next few months because of this project."

"These are things that are going to help stimulate the economy, it's going to create jobs and it's going to set ourselves up for long-term economic growth....if it makes you feel better it's going to come in the next 48 hours, I believe, so you won't have to wait too long to find out what this investment is, but it's going to be a significant amount. It's certainly going to help out our economy here in the southwest."

May or may not have anything to do with Energy East. May or may not have anything to do with Irving. May or may not have anything to do with Maine. Given Gallant i'm expecting a bit of an exaggeration, but we can start taking bets..
I'm putting 3 to 1 odds on something to do with Irving. Alternatively, it could be (finally) confirmation of the Maine East-West Highway.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:18 PM
ハルウララ

Looking increasingly likely that Gallant's comments are in refence to the Irving Oil expansion of the Refinery in Saint John...which is odd, given that it has little to nothing to do with Charlotte County or St. Stephen, unless i'm missing something obvious. Either way, Gallant mis-spoke, or the TJ mis-reported, or something.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 11:53 PM

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:01 PM
ハルウララ

Continued discussion in Sussex on the possible merger of Sussex and Sussex Corner. Both mayors stating that they would put it to a vote of the communities despite the fact that the towns only need the approval of both councils to merge. There was an interesting point raised (I believe in regards to Sussex Corner) where raising the property tax by 1 cent would only net the community $10,000, whilst merging with Sussex would allow the combined communities to access millions more in possible grant funding from the Province.

The combined community would have a population just under 6,000, putting it between Shediac and Grand Falls in size.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 9:18 PM

Ministers Island

A very worthy project for SJ and southern NB to support

https://thisplacematters.ca/project/...isters-island/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 5:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

PotashCorp suspends Picadilly mine in N.B., cuts 430 jobs
Saskatchewan company says mining near community of Sussex is suspended indefinitely
CBC News Posted: Jan 19, 2016 8:21 AM AT Last Updated: Jan 19, 2016 1:13 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nded-1.3409831

This is a huge kick in the nuts for the economy of south central NB. The ramifications of this will be felt all the way down to Saint John, and to a lesser degree in Moncton too.

This as well as the natural gas moratorium pretty much destroys the extraction industry in southern NB.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Continued discussion in Sussex on the possible merger of Sussex and Sussex Corner. Both mayors stating that they would put it to a vote of the communities despite the fact that the towns only need the approval of both councils to merge. There was an interesting point raised (I believe in regards to Sussex Corner) where raising the property tax by 1 cent would only net the community $10,000, whilst merging with Sussex would allow the combined communities to access millions more in possible grant funding from the Province.

The combined community would have a population just under 6,000, putting it between Shediac and Grand Falls in size.
Depending on what the downsides would be to me it would seem beneficial for the 2 communities to join together.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 7:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
PotashCorp suspends Picadilly mine in N.B., cuts 430 jobs
Saskatchewan company says mining near community of Sussex is suspended indefinitely
CBC News Posted: Jan 19, 2016 8:21 AM AT Last Updated: Jan 19, 2016 1:13 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nded-1.3409831

This is a huge kick in the nuts for the economy of south central NB. The ramifications of this will be felt all the way down to Saint John, and to a lesser degree in Moncton too.

This as well as the natural gas moratorium pretty much destroys the extraction industry in southern NB.
The Premier chums it up in Davos on taxpayer dime as mills close and NBers lose their jobs. Great timing. Hope the Oppositons tears him a new one for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Depending on what the downsides would be to me it would seem beneficial for the 2 communities to join together.
You would think so but residents take a lot of pride in their tiny little communities, no matter how ineffective they are or how much bureaucratic red tape their existence creates. The Province doesn't do a good enough job in outlining the benefits and lets the negative crowd gain way too much steam in the leadup to plebiscites.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 9:31 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I'm putting 3 to 1 odds on something to do with Irving. Alternatively, it could be (finally) confirmation of the Maine East-West Highway.
Funny how this has never come up again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces