HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 12:48 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Exact same situation with the Eagles last year. ATV reported it, city said not yet, then they made it official two weeks later.

I think it's a pretty good bet they're coming.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 1:05 PM

Awesome!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 1:25 PM

Here is the article...

Quote:
By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

It's a long way to the top of Magnetic Hill from Australia, but it's sounding more and more like legendary Aussie hard rock band AC/DC is indeed heading to the Hub City.

It was reported last night that a concert announcement will be coming sometime this week regarding the band's show in Moncton, said to be taking place Thursday, Aug. 6.

Ian Fowler, general manager of Moncton's Recreation, Parks, Tourism and Culture department, reached at home last night, denied reports of the Aug. 6 concert by Halifax media last night. The reports did not name any sources.

"They have been totally premature," Fowler said regarding the concert news. He said the City of Moncton does not currently have a signed contract for any show at Magnetic Hill. He also noted that city council has not been brought on board to ratify any deal because at this point, there is no deal.

There has also been speculation among Metro Moncton music fans that a few other shows are currently in the works. Concertgoers are saying the Jonas Brothers and Bon Jovi are heading to Magnetic Hill while Bruce Springsteen is said to be planning a show at the Moncton Coliseum.

Fowler would not comment on any of the potential shows.

He was "extremely disappointed" with news coming out about the possible AC/DC show last night. He said if a show with AC/DC or any other act was in the works, this news could potentially jeopardize the possibility of the show happening at all.

"I can tell you emphatically that as of (last night), the city is still in negotiations with promoters," he says.

Last night, Fowler recognized that AC/DC was the name that has been popping up most among music fans over the last year, but he did nothing to confirm or deny whether the band might be heading to Moncton.

"There's no doubt it's a show everybody would like to have," he says.

AC/DC talk in Metro reached a fever pitch last fall when the band released its first album in nine years, Black Ice. The band has released "Rock and Roll Train" and "Big Jack" as singles thus far, with both receiving a lot of airplay.

The band is in the midst of a world tour, but it doesn't have any dates listed on its website beyond a sold-out show scheduled for June 30 in Glasgow, Scotland.

Moncton has a solid track record over the last few years of producing top-quality concerts at the Magnetic Hill Concert Site, including dates with the Rolling Stones, the Eagles, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill and Brooks & Dunn and Alan Jackson.

However, this year the city is facing stiff competition from other cities. Halifax announced a few months ago that KISS would be headlining a show on July 18 at the Halifax Commons while Prince Edward Island announced that country stars Tim McGraw and Reba McEntire would headline the July 10-12 Cavendish Beach Music Festival.

Even Fredericton has announced an outdoor rock concert for the summer with the Black Crowes and Live headlining FredRocks from June 19-21.

Asked if he is concerned that Moncton entering the summer concert game late may mean its show doesn't sell as well, Fowler says he isn't. He says he has heard that many concertgoers are waiting to hear what Moncton has planned before making a decision regarding what they will attend.

"The expectation is there that Moncton is going to deliver," he says.

Meanwhile, a recent survey conducted by Bristol Omnifacts Research for the Times & Transcript shows that AC/DC is the band most people in the area want to see.

When 605 people were asked who would be their choice for a band to play at a Labour Day concert on Magnetic Hill, 16 per cent chose AC/DC.

U2 followed at 10 per cent and Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Elton John and Celine Dion each took two per cent of the votes.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:23 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Supposedly they will be making an official announcement on Friday about who will play the hill first this year...hopefully AC/DC

they will be making another announcement next week about the second concert...main rumors at this point: Paul McCartney, CRUEFEST (Motley Crue et al), and U2 (very unlikely).

And supposedly there is a rumored 3rd concert which will be geared towards country music fans.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:02 PM

I gotta say, I saw CrueFest last year and it was AWESOME! This year's line-up...meh.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 7:38 PM

I personally think Cruefest would not do that well around here...well, but not on the level that the Hill has seen.

I believe they are doing a June and an August...so it's not in the same month as Kiss.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
I personally think Cruefest would not do that well around here...well, but not on the level that the Hill has seen.

I believe they are doing a June and an August...so it's not in the same month as Kiss.
I agree with you on Cruefest and I have to lump KISS in with Cruefest. It's a narrow audience. At the same time, it's kind of surprising about a harder/heavier than the mainstream type of band like AC/DC being picked for the Hill. But they are really hot right now. I thought maybe the city would try for a band with a broad audience like Fleetwood Mac, to go after the Eagles crowd. I guess it's still a possibility if they're going to do up to 3 concerts on the Hill.

Has anyone heard who the other bands are for AC/DC?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 12:30 AM
Nashwaaksissy

Fleetwood Mac could very well have done a show in Summerside this summer until the PEI government decided on the country concert instead.

The Summerside show was going to be with Lynyrd Skynyrd, who I've been told were also considered for FredRock until their keyboard player died in January. Apparently they're going to keep going (they've only got one original member left), so they're a possibility for the hill too.

I've also heard a couple names more or less confirmed for Harvest Jazz and Blues in Fredericton in September, but I'll keep tight-lipped on them for now. Nothing too earth-shattering though.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:35 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShadow View Post
I agree with you on Cruefest and I have to lump KISS in with Cruefest. It's a narrow audience. At the same time, it's kind of surprising about a harder/heavier than the mainstream type of band like AC/DC being picked for the Hill. But they are really hot right now. I thought maybe the city would try for a band with a broad audience like Fleetwood Mac, to go after the Eagles crowd. I guess it's still a possibility if they're going to do up to 3 concerts on the Hill.

Has anyone heard who the other bands are for AC/DC?
Thats the point, the country fans had two shows, the light rock fans had their two shows, we need something heavy this time!

There is a group on facebook with almost 26,000 members supporting an AC/DC concert in Moncton, that's show enough that there are a lot of people behind this Id say.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:45 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

You guys have fun at AC DC. I think i'll buy a 2-4 of Keiths and sit home in my apartment with the same song playing over and over to get the same effect!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 3:10 AM

Anyone know anything about Nickelback and Bon Jovi on the hill for the 1st of july??

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:57 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Ouch. The Times and Transcript's ripping CTV a new one. Here's their editorial:

CTV tries to sabotage AC/DC

Published Thursday March 26th, 2009
D6

Steve Murphy and the CTV network have been reporting Wednesday evening and Thursday that Moncton has definitely signed a deal with Australian rock band AC/DC to play Magnetic Hill this August, stating that this has been "confirmed" by unnamed sources in the music industry: too bad that it is not true. And CTV ought to know it.

It is no secret Moncton has been eyeing the band and talking with its management about the possibility. AC/DC is, after all, in the midst of one of the most successful world tours in the entertainment business this year.

But it is also no secret that no deal has been reached yet.

A simple single phone call to the city's point man in these matters, Ian Fowler, would have produced this fact for Mr. Murphy and the network. It did for us!

Not only has no deal been reached and no contract signed, but city council has not been presented with any deal (for AC/DC or any other act) to ratify it and give staff the go-ahead to sign. Until that happens, everything is unconfirmed speculation. And, of course, despite the CTV report, there is no concert announcement scheduled this week.

We wonder what CTV and Mr. Murphy are up to. Is this a Halifax media attempt to scuttle what could be another great concert in Moncton? It is no secret that negotiations with such top level bands are done in confidence and the promoters and band management insist on keeping everything under wraps until they are ready to make an announcement their way. Nor is it unheard of for premature release of details to cause negotiations to break down. That's the way it is in the industry.

This is not the first time CTV has jumped the gun and reported falsely about concerts in Moncton. Last year it reported the Eagles had been signed, also prematurely and before it was fact. "Signed" and "negotiating with" are not the same.

Is CTV so desperate for a scoop, any scoop, that it'll risk its own credibility to report something that may happen as fact? Or is it in bed with Halifax promoters and politicians who have long bemoaned the fact Moncton has consistently staged bigger and better shows each year than they have? Are they actually trying to scuttle Moncton's best efforts?

---------------

I don't think there's any doubt that CTV's "regional" newscast is ridiculously Halifax-centric, but I think the T&T is just jealous they didn't get the scoop. Par for the course with that paper.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 5:24 PM

The T&T (or any Irving-owned newspaper, for that matter) has NO business lecturing any other media outlet about journalistic integrity.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 6:05 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I agree with both of you. I wouldn't put Steve past something that petty (remember stephan dion?). That said, it is almost comically ironic seeing the Transcript attack another news source for their journalistic integrity.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 12:12 AM

Really?.... I always figured CTV favoured Moncton in their reporting.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:14 AM

Concerts

Nickelback Concert
April 1 st @7pm
Rexall Place
Edmonton, AB

The group is making their way accross Canada and ending up at in California. Where they will be flying over to the United Kingdom to perform.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Really?.... I always figured CTV favoured Moncton in their reporting.

You're joking right.......the typical ATV newscast is about 70% Halifax news, 10% other Nova Scotia news, 20% from New Brunswick and....if you're lucky....about two stories from PEI every week. The Halifax bias on ATV is amazing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:53 AM

You know you're washed up when you're playing Moncton.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
You're joking right.......the typical ATV newscast is about 70% Halifax news, 10% other Nova Scotia news, 20% from New Brunswick and....if you're lucky....about two stories from PEI every week. The Halifax bias on ATV is amazing.
Thats surprising to me I usually call CtV news the New Brunswick news and I'm not the only one who has said that.

Anyway thats neither here or there the suggestion that CTV and Halifax concert organizers are working together to sabotage a Moncton concert is just absurd.

CTV always does this... they jump the gun on these concerts and have done the same thing to concerts in Halifax in the past.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:46 AM
Nashwaaksissy

My favourite ATV moment came during last year's flood..."Fredericton is going underwater, but first....the Halifax school board is bickering again!"

At least we have CBC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces