HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Yes, they have been doing an amazing job, all tho i hope the mentality soon changes, there is still too much negativity about the city when you talk to people, sure its not booming but its doing much better than a few years ago. I think the tide is slowly changing and the more it will change, the better it will get. I was there last week and im surprised everytime at new stuff poping up here and there.

About the parking situation, i know downtown does not have massive parking lots, but there is plenty going around, only issue people have is that they want the parking in front of the door, if you dont mind doing a bit of walking, and by a bit i mean 2 minutes or less, you will have no problem to find a parking spot. When i go, i just park and walk wherever i need to go.

As for the st-hubert, something did not work about placing it in the grey rock, franchise is listed as available for Edmundston at the moment, it had disappeared from the site a while back.
First discussions broke off after a while and was probably the reason why it was taken off the website, from what I've heard they are back on for Grey Rock.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 3:27 PM

Good, i hope they break ground soon for them and Burger King, their strip mall is completed from the outside, paving needs to be done. I suspect The Brick will grab the corner unit as it is the largest one available.

Stopped by the truck stop and man was it busy!! Fuel, Tims, pirate de la mer, not a parking stall left, they really put themselves as the first stop arriving in andlast stop before leaving NB!

Also notice the Altitude Condo project on top of the mountain where the montagnard development is, phase 1 is 6 units and phase two is 9 unit, 3 units of phase 1 would already been sold.

And there is another project on victoria street, at the lights where jml shirts used the be. Where the used sport gear store besides the pawn shop is, heard something about audiologist, anyways the building is twice the size that what was on that lot before.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 10:31 AM

I heard rumors about the land around the new Kent in Tracadie is all owned by Irving and apparently they want to build a small truck stop. Anyone heard anything about that?
Are they still talking about bringing in a big retail store in that area. I haven't heard anything about that for quite a while now..

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 12:03 PM

Other than the kent that is currently under construction, i have not heard of anything else for some time in that area.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 1:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CBC:

The province says it plans to build a new multi-million dollar elementary school in Miramichi East.

The school will cost nearly $16 million and will accommodate 400 students.

The new school will replace Ian Baillie Primary School and St. Andrews Elementary School, which are both more than 50 years old.

Construction is expected to begin next year, with the opening planned for 2017.

personal note - The regular CBC haters were out in force on this announcement. You would think that most people could get behind the idea of a new school to consolidate and replace a couple of aging schools more than 50 years old, but one comment on there said "the north won the election so the north gets the dough and the south gets the owe". Another mouth frother somehow twisted this into a French/English thing despite the fact that the new school is an anglophone one!!

I honestly think the CBC should just ban the practice of allowing comments on any of their news stories.......

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 9:52 PM

I am with you on that one. Right now, unfortunately, there seems to be a sentiment that the french are to blame for the economic downturn of the province. They close english, schools more than french schools? It's the french's fault.

With a bit of research people would see that the rules are very clear and it's normal that they will close more english school since there are a third more english schools right now then french. I live in Oromocto and within about 5 minutes of walking there are about 4 schools. Too me it sounds a bit more logic to close one of those when they are not even close to capacity than to close a school like St-Francois where they would have to bus kids 30 minutes to bring them to another school.

I find it's sad that the problems with the province are in no way whatsoever because of the school system but because of other bad decisions over decades. But we are so focused that bilingual school busses will bring us billions of dollars in our accounts. NOT! Bilingualism is an asset and not a nuisance.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 2:04 PM

Bilingualism is an asset, but obligate segregation is a nuisance.

As you've pointed out, the province should do what makes the most sense while still allowing citizens to receive services in their official language of choice. Closing an English school when there are two other English schools to receive the students makes sense.

Necessitating that French and English students be bussed separately doesn't. If the bus routes can be designed to serve both English and French schools without overloading the bus, then they should be. That's a matter of practicality, not language. The time a student spends on a bus is not instructional time, so there's no need to segregate them. Just put a fluently bilingual driver on that bus and you're set.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 12:14 AM

If you want to continue that discussion I suggest you go to the CBC.ca website or simply present yourself in the next elections if you think your opinion makes that much of a difference. If you think you have the ability to change a law that is attached under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms by all means do it. Maybe you can also do something about that New Brunswick law that restricts New Brunswicker's to import beer from Quebec.

But unless you want to talk about northern infrastructures (Your input for that would be greatly appreciated to add to this Northern section, like I've personally been for a while) I suggest you look elsewhere. Maybe go back to your Saint John discussion section and talk about Point Lepreau, that's in the Saint John region, maybe we should make only the people from Saint John pay for that billion dollar fiasco.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 2:47 PM

I'm not really sure why you're attacking me for continuing a discussion that you started, but to each his own I suppose.

There's no need to be so hostile; my opinion doesn't need to "make that much of a difference" for me to express it and I'm not arguing against the right of Francophones to their own language. All I'm saying is that those rights really wouldn't be impinged upon by having Anglophone and Francophone kids share a bus for a few minutes a day.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 8:39 PM

Alot of work is going into the New Joeys pub in Bathurst, a complete redesign of the structure....that being said the cast and crew restaurant and pub is open in the old joeys location.....i personally prefer joeys offerings.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 9:24 PM

I second that, joey has done a very nice job with his restaurant! Heading there now actually lol!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:55 PM

I've always heard good comments of Joey's even before the renovations. Unfortunately I was never able to go when in meetings in Bathurst. We always ended up at Tom's Karaoke. Yes, we always had a blast.

I've heard a few rumbles about other potential tenants of Grey Rock Power Center, but I think they are more things just thrown out there instead of having any facts behind them. They are as far fetched as American Eagle and such.

There was a survey on Facebook not too long ago about having a potential kids center there with arcades and games. I haven't seen anything about it in a while.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 2:41 AM

Implosion of the Dalhousie generating station didn't go as planned today...

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/demolitio...ayed-1.2519470

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 11:28 PM

Construction has started at the Bathurst hospital for the new expansion.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a rendering (courtesy CBC) of the new community amphitheatre in Edmundston.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 8:19 PM
Hammer'd

Spent a few days last week in Edmundston for the first time since my first visit in the summer of 2011 and the place felt way more busy and completely different. Police station was done, a new Jean Coutu and that whole Grey Rock area seemed to really pick up the activity along the main road through town. The first night in town we went to le deck for a few beers and met some really cool local folks. I couldn't believe how much more alive the place feels compared to a few years ago when we had a hard time finding anything that was open past 5 in the afternoon. I'll definitely be going back soon, had a great time.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 10:09 PM

Yes its true, the place feels more alive and busy than the previous years, and i think it will get busyer as more developments and shops open up in town!

Another thing that will help is that Mont Farlagne has been announced to be sold on various news outlet. A good thing for the city

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 11:23 PM

I was at Grey rock this weekend....Its a very nice retail nook. all the building match....nothing in side the strip yet, but wont be long I'm sure. The truck stop was booming....I see the attraction...I was drawn into it myself. I'm assuming the building under construction is the Brick....perhaps Walmart may consider moving into this location in the future....that would solidify its growth.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 11:35 PM

The one in construction is the new ford dealership, the brick will go in the corner unit of the strip i presume, its the largest unit

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here's a rendering (courtesy CBC) of the new community amphitheatre in Edmundston.

For the ones who love sports infrastructures like I do, they also have a bunch of other renderings on their website:

http://www.lavenirnousrassemble.ca/esquisses.html

They have reached their community goal and even surpassed it by $400,000 now without even asking the general population to donate. As of today they still have just solicited the businesses.

The city has been changing a lot in the last few years. The mayor and the councillors have been doing terrific work. They are only missing one or two 250-500 workers factories for the population to boom back to the way it used to be. With infrastructures like the new arena and the sports pavilion I think it's only a matter of time. Me and my fiancé are both from there and we've considered moving back but being both in the federal government there aren't that many possibilities there other than Service Canada. If we go back it would be to start our own businesses.

They also have been talking about an accelerator program for businesses there which would be great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces