HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 12:09 PM

I have some connections up there…

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 4:20 PM

few things

DND announced that new armouries will be built in Edmundston. They had previously bought a piece of land (Blvd Hebert and Martin street) back in 06 and nothing had been heard since but they are pointing for a fall 2013 occupancy as the tenders just rolled out. Project is said to be worth just under 10 million dollars.

From the Mighty chi! the Weyerhaeuser wood mill just got sold to a Quebec company, Arbec. they where in the original plans to re-lauch the facility back on 07 but had pulled out and now back in the game. things are looking good for an early 2012 re-launch of the mill. No words on how many jobs would be created

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 2:16 PM

Do you follow Hockey?

Are you aware of the rumour that a group of local business, including "a certain car dealership", in Bathurst is currently in discussion with the owner of "a certain hockey team" for the purchase of the team? I know that this gossip was brewing for quite a while but apparently it is getting closer to be finalized!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 3:33 PM

So this is still in the works! I know 2-3 years back when was looking at options to sell or keep the team, there was a group of people with "the dealership with a hearth" it had fell through but i'm glad to see its not dead.

The team needs a change of ownership, too many people got a bad taste with the current owner and I think it would bring people back to the games if he sold it to a local group.

Hatteway ford is now open at their new location, the 2 other medical/dental office are progressing quite nicely.

There was an article in a free paper "that we should not name, but i don't understand why i would have to pay online if I get it free at home" that the city had approached Costco....and they where apparently told something along the lines not now, maybe later... Find this hard to believe since they had approached the city back in the 90's and where refused a tax break(2-3 years) at the time and never came back.

It would be nice, but i doubt it would make economical sense for Costco to set up shop up here, I think that for now they have pretty much saturated the market in NB

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 3:26 PM

Sobey's has started demolishing of existing structures in Caraquet (Where the vieux rafiot used to be) for the construction of a 45 000 sq\f store.

The Source is opening up a store in Edmundston, I would probably say in the last remaining spot in the plaza corp property in Front of Wal Mart. They had trouble with finding a suitable location before so i think this would be the logical place for them to go.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:11 PM

By the way Sushi Guy, Le Caprice Gourmand is re-opening, it will be in the green house next to Pizza Delight. Deli, pies, smoke meat and all the goodies except the cheese, might have a little selection but not as big as before.

On another note, CBC reporting that the Weyerhaeuser mill, now Arbec Forest Products in Miramichi will re-open later this fall, and be in full swing by spring 2013 with 100 jobs!

Here is the link

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...n.html?cmp=rss

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:56 PM

[QUOTE=theshark;5576286]By the way Sushi Guy, Le Caprice Gourmand is re-opening, it will be in the green house next to Pizza Delight. Deli, pies, smoke meat and all the goodies except the cheese, might have a little selection but not as big as before.

Thanks for the update!

Also, a new sushi restaurant opened in Tracadie. Haven’t been there yet but apparently it's really good! It is called JoKa Sushi, meaning "up and down". That's what people do in Tracadie, they drive up and down main street... lol

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:45 PM

haha they drive up and down and park and talk.

On another note, here is what the new Armoury will look like In Edmundston:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...mundston.shtml

I suspect it will only be the entry for a super secret facility under the mountain!

And the Grey Rock Power Center (located besides the Edmundston Hospital and the TCH) is taking form, the truck stop is already in construction and slated to open this summer and the reserve has hired a consultant to find tennants, mostly aiming at stores that are not in the region already. About 20 lots are available.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:15 PM

Belledune Modular Fabrication Facility Welcomes First Tenant

The Belledune Port Authority has its first tenant at the new Belledune Modular Fabrication Facility at the port. MAN Diesel & Turbo Canada will be the first to occupy the Facility.
The President and CEO of the BPA, Rayburn Doucet, tips his cap to both sides for putting the deal together - noting the facility will now be used for its intended purpose by local contractors and local individuals. Doucet adds that the new barge terminal will play a vital role in transporting the modular unit to its final destination.
Starting April 2, MAN Diesel & Turbo will lease the Belledune facility for a five-month period to begin the fabrication and assembly of an electrical module destined for Nunavik, QC.
Officials say the deal will offer employment opportunities to local contractors and service providers while increasing shipping activity at the Port.

From the Max 104.9 website
http://www.max1049.ca/localnews/Story.aspx?ID=1659233

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It was reported in the T&T today that Tracadie-Sheila is in talks with surrounding LSD's to amalgamate and form a new city with a population of 16,000.

If this transpires, Tracadie-Sheila would become NB's 9th city.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It was reported in the T&T today that Tracadie-Sheila is in talks with surrounding LSD's to amalgamate and form a new city with a population of 16,000.

If this transpires, Tracadie-Sheila would become NB's 9th city.
This is probably going to happen... They have been talking about this for years amongs themselves and there is always seems to be a competition between them and Caraquet to say "We are better". With all the changes coming to local governement, the province is really on board, encouraging and helping anyone who wants to amalgamate. Even more when most of it are unincorporated LSDs. As far as I know, these talks have been very serious since the Finn report was comissioned.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:13 PM

yes it comes around once in a while and some surrounding municipalities are talking about doing the same with their LSD. Clearly the govt is on board, this would wipe out 18 LSD so save them money. It would give them bragging right compared to Caraquet... lol but would it change anything else that much?

I mean if I where a company looking at the area 3 years ago and based on the regional population, there was not enought to establish myself, and then they amalgate and say come take a look now we are 16000....well good for you but the regional population stayed the same....

Some services will stay the same, policing, hospital, ambulances, schools..

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
yes it comes around once in a while and some surrounding municipalities are talking about doing the same with their LSD. Clearly the govt is on board, this would wipe out 18 LSD so save them money. It would give them bragging right compared to Caraquet... lol but would it change anything else that much?

I mean if I where a company looking at the area 3 years ago and based on the regional population, there was not enought to establish myself, and then they amalgate and say come take a look now we are 16000....well good for you but the regional population stayed the same....

Some services will stay the same, policing, hospital, ambulances, schools..
You're right, not very much would change other than savings $. It does look better on paper however. The policing could change with this new city...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:31 PM
ハルウララ

Because provincial media is behind a paywall I can't seem to find any information on this amalgamation. What communities exactly are looking at amalgamating with Tracadie-Sheila? South to Brantville? West to Saint-Isidore? North to Six Roads?

theshark is right in saying that this doesn't really change much in terms of drawing new business into the area. It looks a lot better when communities are brought together and you can put forward population numbers like 16K or whatever, but at the end of the day the regional population is still the exact same, just in a neater fashion.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:24 PM

its really smaller communities, like benoit, tracadie beach, leech, saumarez....all areas that are just around tracadie. It will look more like a regional municipality than a city since most of the population is in a rural setting.

As for saint-Isiore, they where talking about doing the same with some neighbouring lsd's and villages.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 3:31 PM

New Sushi restaurant opened up in Downtown Edmundston, for a little while, Sushi world restaurant....Nice website..seems to me like they have a good variety according to the online menu but I am no Sushi expert, maybe Sushi Guy would be better placed to examin the menu!

And the fine chocolate shop is open in Downtown Bathurst on Main st, Another empty storefront gone!!!

And also the renderings for the new hotel downtown Bathurst should be coming out anytime as the developper wanted a spring start to the construction.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 12:43 AM

Zoning application from Les Betons Brunswick to build a concrete plant in the Bathurst industrial park, should bring about 10 jobs to the area

On another note, Xstrata announced today that the Brunswick mines will be shutting down in a year from now. 900 jobs vanishing from the area....

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 8:34 PM

A privately owned bus company will deliver bus services into the city of Edmundston. Cost will be 3 dollars and one bus will desserve the route so far, back and fourth. Another bus will be added shortly to cut into the waiting time. Service will be offered from monday to friday, 6 am to 6 pm.

Wonder how good this will go, not too much privately owned transit services around the province...I guess we will have to wait and see.

And on another note, The Chateau Bathurst building will get a new vocation. 2.6 million dollars will be invested by the current owner to convert the building to a 60 unit retirement community. Will still offer services like spa, pool, restaurant.

Good news for downtown, was just an eye sore to see this boarded up place by the promenade waterfront.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:40 PM

Well the new National Bank building is under construction on St-Peters avenue in Bathurst.

Also the land transfer has been done for the new hotel and convention construction downtown. I hear of 4 stories which will be good for a place like here!! No renders available yet.

As for Edmundston, they found a company that will run the convention center, same company is trying to aquire the Clarion Hotel.

Also the Victoria street plaza is now full, with The Source taking the last remaining spot.

As for the shell truck stop, should be opening around june 1st

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 11:20 PM

Dalhousie

Good news for that hard hit area!

A company building modular homes is seriously thinking to set up shop near the port of Dalhousie. This would bring 60 new jobs in that hard hit area.

Maybe not much compared to what they lost but hey, you got to start somewhere!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces