HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 11:04 PM

Traffic up at Greater Moncton International Airport

Cathy LeBreton - Staff Mar 11, 2011 13:42:36 PM

MONCTON, N.B. - Traffic in and out of the Greater Moncton International Airport was up significantly last year.

The airport saw a 7.2 per cent increase in passengers and a 5.2 per cent increase in cargo in 2010.

Last year also saw the addition of Porter Airlines, and increased service from Continental Airlines.

Airport officials say so far, 2011 is also looking up with Sunwing Vacations now offering a Jamaican destination from Moncton, and WestJet beginning a seasonal Orlando service.

Porter Airlines also recently announced it was increasing the frequency of flights from Moncton to Ottawa.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
Traffic up at Greater Moncton International Airport

Cathy LeBreton - Staff Mar 11, 2011 13:42:36 PM

MONCTON, N.B. - Traffic in and out of the Greater Moncton International Airport was up significantly last year.

The airport saw a 7.2 per cent increase in passengers and a 5.2 per cent increase in cargo in 2010.

Last year also saw the addition of Porter Airlines, and increased service from Continental Airlines.

Airport officials say so far, 2011 is also looking up with Sunwing Vacations now offering a Jamaican destination from Moncton, and WestJet beginning a seasonal Orlando service.

Porter Airlines also recently announced it was increasing the frequency of flights from Moncton to Ottawa.
And here is even more numbers!

– The year 2010 ended in a healthy 7.2% increase resulting in a total of 552,629 passengers at the Greater Moncton International Airport (GMIA) in comparison to 515,460 in 2009. On the cargo front, the year ended at a 5.2% increase. Volumes finished at 22,789 metric tonnes in comparison to 21,730 metric tonnes in 2009.

From the GMIA Website

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdevlop View Post
And here is even more numbers!

– The year 2010 ended in a healthy 7.2% increase resulting in a total of 552,629 passengers at the Greater Moncton International Airport (GMIA) in comparison to 515,460 in 2009. On the cargo front, the year ended at a 5.2% increase. Volumes finished at 22,789 metric tonnes in comparison to 21,730 metric tonnes in 2009.

From the GMIA Website
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but this is about 15% of what Halifax did. This is the leading airport in NB, I am not sure we should be happy with this level of service.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 12:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but this is about 15% of what Halifax did. This is the leading airport in NB, I am not sure we should be happy with this level of service.
No arguement from me nwalbert, but there is no way that any airport in NB could hope to compete with Halifax Stanfield. Our market is way too fragmented and most government and regional services are located in Haligon.

All the NB airports can hope for is to be "the best that they can possibly be". For the GMIA, I would be happy if we got regularly scheduled service to Boston, St. John's and perhaps to a western destination (Calgary). If you added that to our existing connections to Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton and New York and I think that most people would be satisfied.

There is room for growth of course in the charter market. You can fly out of the GMIA now to Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic and Florida in the wintertime. A European destination or two in the summertime would be nice.

The greatest potential for growth at the GMIA is in the air cargo business. GMIA is already a close second to Halifax Stanfield in the air cargo sector. Dieppe is building a new air industrial park and the main north/south runway is being lengthened to 10,000 ft. This should help our competitiveness.

So, in summary:

- Passenger traffic at the GMIA is currently about 550,000/yr. It would be hard to imagine it exceeding 750,000/yr in the current market situation. We can never challenge Halifax in this sector but there is room for modest growth with new scheduled destinations and increased charter routes.
- The greatest opportunity for expansion is in air cargo. It is not inconcievable that this sector could at least double in size.
- Ancillary services at the airport (Moncton Flight College, Transport Canada, RCMP Air Service and NB Air Ambulance) will remain important.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No arguement from me nwalbert, but there is no way that any airport in NB could hope to compete with Halifax Stanfield. Our market is way too fragmented and most government and regional services are located in Haligon.

All the NB airports can hope for is to be "the best that they can possibly be". For the GMIA, I would be happy if we got regularly scheduled service to Boston, St. John's and perhaps to a western destination (Calgary). If you added that to our existing connections to Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton and New York and I think that most people would be satisfied.

There is room for growth of course in the charter market. You can fly out of the GMIA now to Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic and Florida in the wintertime. A European destination or two in the summertime would be nice.

The greatest potential for growth at the GMIA is in the air cargo business. GMIA is already a close second to Halifax Stanfield in the air cargo sector. Dieppe is building a new air industrial park and the main north/south runway is being lengthened to 10,000 ft. This should help our competitiveness.

So, in summary:

- Passenger traffic at the GMIA is currently about 550,000/yr. It would be hard to imagine it exceeding 750,000/yr in the current market situation. We can never challenge Halifax in this sector but there is room for modest growth with new scheduled destinations and increased charter routes.
- The greatest opportunity for expansion is in air cargo. It is not inconcievable that this sector could at least double in size.
- Ancillary services at the airport (Moncton Flight College, Transport Canada, RCMP Air Service and NB Air Ambulance) will remain important.

Exactly, segmented airports wont work. If NB ever wants to be serious we need a central airport. The cost in operational fees would pay for the new construction. Combining the airports would give us over 1 million passengers. With the increased efficiency and larger numbers we would see new routes and cheaper fares and I am sure it would quickly grow to 1.5 million. Now, we could start competing with Halifax.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 2:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Reposted from the Moncton thread:

Things are hopping at the GMIA

- The main 8,000 foot east/west runway (11/29) at the GMIA will be closed this summer for a $20M resurfacing project. All traffic will be diverted to the secondary 6,000 foot north/south runway (06/24) for the duration.

- Next year, it will be 06/24 that will receive all the attention as it will be extended to 10,000 feet. This project is also worth over $20M and will allow fully fueled and fully loaded cargo jumbo jets to take off from the airport. This is an important project in that it will allow the GMIA to remain competitive in the air freight business (same capabilities as Halifax Stanfield).

- At the same time, work will be ongoing with regard to the extension of Aviation Blvd to the north of the main terminal building, and the development of an air industrial park with direct taxiway access.

Highlights from the GMIA annual report for 2010:

- Passenger traffic up 7% to 553,000 people.
- Cargo business up 6% to 24k tonnes.
- Addition of Porter Airlines to the stable of carriers servicing the airport.
- New WestJet seasonal services to Montego Bay and Orlando.
- Rebuilding of the intersection of 06/24 and 11/29 ($5M project).

by 2015, the GMIA hopes to increase passenger volumes to 650,000/yr and increase freight to 32k tonnes/yr.

The airport had net earnings (profit) of $2.1M last year.

The report states that the GMIA contributes more than $380M to the provincial economy on an annual basis.

Personal note - to the last point, in an earlier post on this thread, q12 (rightfully) stated that Halifax Stanfield was an important economic generator for HRM, contributing $1.22B to the local economy. This works out to about $3,050 per capita (given a metro population of about 400k).

If you do the same exercise for Moncton, an economic contribution of $380M to a metro population of 137k works out to $2,773 per capita.

The GMIA therefore is nearly as important (91%) on a per capita basis to the Moncton economy as Halifax Stanfield is to the HRM economy.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 4:18 PM

I noticed in Air Canada's summer schedule that many of the flights to Montreal from YFC, YQM, and YSJ are switching over to the CRJ as opposed to using the Dash 8's.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
I noticed in Air Canada's summer schedule that many of the flights to Montreal from YFC, YQM, and YSJ are switching over to the CRJ as opposed to using the Dash 8's.
YQM maybe but not in YFC...at least the Air Canada Website still states that the Dash 8 will be used.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 6:11 AM

Received a call on Friday that I needed to be in Edinburgh for Monday morning. Unfortunately getting to Edinburgh means either going through London or there is a direct from Newark. However there is only 1 direct to Newark in all of NB and that 1 flight departs at 6AM out of an airport 90 minutes away. The flight I want from Newark is a redeye departing at 8PM. My only option with current NB airports would be to fly via Toronto/Montreal to Newark or get up at 3AM and spend over 12 hours on a layover at Newark.

YSJ was completely sold out of flights to Monteal/Toronto on Sunday as a result of a funeral parlor conference that ended Saturday. Using my status with AC I was able to get a seat to Toronto and connect via Heathrow.

Wouldn't it be simple if we had one airport with sufficient traffic to create some reasonable routes. The current system really sucks for those of us who really use air transportation.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Received a call on Friday that I needed to be in Edinburgh for Monday morning. Unfortunately getting to Edinburgh means either going through London or there is a direct from Newark. However there is only 1 direct to Newark in all of NB and that 1 flight departs at 6AM out of an airport 90 minutes away. The flight I want from Newark is a redeye departing at 8PM. My only option with current NB airports would be to fly via Toronto/Montreal to Newark or get up at 3AM and spend over 12 hours on a layover at Newark.

YSJ was completely sold out of flights to Monteal/Toronto on Sunday as a result of a funeral parlor conference that ended Saturday. Using my status with AC I was able to get a seat to Toronto and connect via Heathrow.

Wouldn't it be simple if we had one airport with sufficient traffic to create some reasonable routes. The current system really sucks for those of us who really use air transportation.
Mate be happy you even have the options you do have. Saskatchewan with just over 1 million population would love to have options in flying.

Many times I have had to fly WESTWARD to fly east to Montreal for work. In some cases I can look out the window and see the city of Saskatoon directly below while flying east or west.

Be happy you got a flight out on such short notice and honestly will the province of NB spend billions to build a central airport in the middle of nowhere? Just so everyone can complain?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
There is one airport. It's called Halifax Stanfield.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 12:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
There is one airport. It's called Halifax Stanfield.
Wrong province.

Seriously though, a single central airport for NB is never ever going to happen. That ship (so to speak) has sailed. It would be better if there were some coordination and cooperation between the three airports so that new routes could be added to different destinations for the mutual benefit of all...........

But unfortunately this is New Brunswick after all, and again I don't see something like this happening. With three (relatively) equivalent principal cities and two cantankerous linguistic groups, we seem doomed to duplication and triplication of everything.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 2:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some interesting stats from Wikipedia regarding the GMIA:

There are several confusing lists available on the site, but at the very least, you get the impression that the GMIA is an important middle-of-the-pack regional airport in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_in_Canada

Canada's Busiest Airport's by Passenger Volume (2008)

- GMIA ranked #18 in the country. I chose 2008 because traffic rebounded in 2010 and was similar to the passenger volume in 2008. It is concievable that we might even have been #17 in the country in 2010 as our passenger totals are essentially equal to Hamilton John C. Monro International Airport.

Canada's Busiest Airports by Aircraft Movements (2010)

- GMIA ranked #16 in the country. For some reason the movements dropped precipitously from 2009 when GMIA ranked #10 in the country. I presume this has something to do with how the stats were counted or to factors related to the Moncton Flight College.

Canada's Busiest Airports by Freight Volume (2009)

- GMIA ranked #9 in the country. It's good to see we cracked the top ten list in this category. With the development of the new Air Industrial Park and the lengthening of runway 06/24 to 10,000', we should see only further growth on this file.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 3:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

GMIA unveils new affinity club
Published Monday July 11th, 2011
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1422526

New Club YQM to benefit frequent travellers of the international airport
Times & Transcript Staff

You've seen airlines and hotels do this sort of thing, but officials with the Greater Moncton International Airport believe they are now the first airport in the world to offer an affinity club for regular customers.

RON WARD/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
Kim Wilson, chairwoman of the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority, unveiled Club YQM, the world's first airport affinity club. Frequent travellers using the airport can now join Club YQM, a club named for the airport's airport code.

Right now it's a 12-month pilot program, no airport/pilot pun intended, and free, with frequent airport users given benefits to make travel just a little bit more civilized.

At a special luncheon launch, the club's new logo, a clever mix of modern sensibility and retro homage to the romantic early days of passenger air travel designed by Veronique LeBlanc of Colour, was unveiled, and the airport presented memberships to 20 frequent airport users and community leaders.

Three organizations, Enterprise Greater Moncton, the Conseil économique du Nouveau-Brunswick, and the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce.

Their experiences and feedback will help improve and expand the club's membership and services.

Club YQM members benefits include access to short-term parking at long-term rates and two free parking passes per year; free coffee and newspaper during visits to the airport; access to the airport's corporate boardroom; exclusive member draws for trips and other travel-related prizes; and exclusive member invitations to business-related GMIA events.

Members are also become part of an experienced focus group of frequent users to offer suggestions for improved service. Customized Club YQM identification has been created so GMIA employees can recognize members by their Club YQM membership cards, lapel pins and luggage tags.

There is no charge for membership - at least for now. Frequent travellers should contact the airport for more information.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 11, 2011 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 10:27 PM

Additional Air Canada Flight from Saint John to Toronto Now in Effect

In response to demand, Air Canada has added a daily flight to Toronto from Your Saint John Airport (YSJ). The additional flight arrives at YSJ at 15:23 (3:23 p.m.) daily and departs for Toronto at 15:50 (3:50 p.m.) daily. We welcome this mid-day addition to the schedule!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Abridged from today's T&T
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1429861

Porter happy to be in Moncton
Published Saturday August 6th, 2011

Airline has best-ever month in July and continues to perform well at Greater Moncton International Airport
by cole hobson
Times & Transcript Staff

Porter Airlines recorded its best-ever month in July and the company's partnership with the Greater Moncton International Airport played a big part in that success.

Porter announced a record-setting month of July in terms of passenger numbers, and interest in the airline continues to be high at the Moncton airport. The airline announced this week that its July numbers showed the all-time best load factor.

"We don't give out route-by-route figures for competitive reasons, but we have talked about Atlantic Canada as a whole in the past being one of our biggest areas in the entire network and that remains true this summer,"

Porter Airlines is Canada's third-largest scheduled carrier and is based at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. It has been offering its services at the Greater Moncton International Airport since June 2010 and currently features a twice-daily summer schedule of service to Ottawa and Toronto.

The company continues to be pleased with its decision to move into the Hub City.

Johanne Gallant, director of airport commercial development with the Greater Moncton International Airport, said business at the airport has been up all summer, both with Porter and on the whole.

Gallant said that just as the Metro Moncton area is doing well economically this summer by hosting various large concerts, festivals and events, the airport is also benefitting.

Aside from Porter's success, Gallant said Air Canada, West Jet and Continental are also seeing good summer numbers.

So what does the future hold for (Porter) in Moncton? Gallant said the airport is always interested in potentially expanding Porter's offerings in Moncton.

"I think what's happening now with the fact the loads are good from Moncton ... that certainly helps the business case. Then our job is to prove on new routes there is a potential for a certain load factor for them. They have that already, we've already pitched a few routes with them," she said. "For them, they acquire certain amounts of aircraft per year and decide where to allocate those aircraft, so for us we have to continue building our business case for these different routes and adding to existing routes."

Both Gallant and Cicero could not discuss what new routes or additions to service have or will be discussed, but it seems obvious that the future is bright for the airline in Moncton.

Personal note - One route that I would like to see Porter consider would be St. John's-Moncton-Toronto. There used to be a CanJet service between Moncton and St. John's that was fairly popular (I believe).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 2:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Also from today's T&T

It wasn't only U2 who celebrated the conclusion of the most successful concert tour in history Saturday night in Moncton. In this candid shot from the Greater Moncton International Airport courtesy of our spy, the (flight) attendants can be seen doing a chorus line on the wing of the band's charter airliner while an appreciative ground crew cheers them on.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 10:28 AM

Airport could be in jeopardy, Chase says
Published Monday August 15th, 2011
Development: Officials warn PlanSJ could stifle development at air traffic centre
C1SANDRA DAVIS
TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL

SAINT JOHN - If the Saint John Airport is unable to diversify its revenue streams, it may close in about five years, said Deputy Mayor Stephen Chase.

Information contained in a document prepared by airport officials, which will be presented to council tonight, will make the case for changes that need to be made in the city's new growth strategy if the airport is to prosper. "It's a very short lifespan," he said.

Council will be reminded tonight that, in as many years, the airport will be called upon to pay rent to the federal government for use of airport lands.

The information is contained in a document, prepared by airport officials, that will be presented to council tonight as part of an argument for changes that need to be made in the city's new growth strategy if the airport is to prosper.

The way it stands now, PlanSJ threatens to stifle airport development, airport officials like CEO Bernie LeBlanc have said.

Chase said he asked for a meeting with airport officials earlier this summer, but that request was denied.

He, for one, would be willing to make accommodations in the strategy, he said, adding that he believes if his council colleagues understood the significance of the impact, they would be willing to take a second look.

"I don't think the facts surrounding the airport are widely known," Chase said.

The airport has received no infrastructure funding from any level of government since its transfer in 1999; it is not designated part of the national gateway system so it does not receive federal money and because it is not a private airport, it receives no federal cash allocated for that sector.

"They're in limbo," Chase said.

The document to be presented tonight outlines what airport officials call "restrictive clauses" in PlanSJ including limiting land development to aeronautical uses.

Instead, airport officials would like the new municipal plan to recognize the airport as an area for commercial or industrial growth but PlanSJ specifically states that industrial, commercial and residential uses that do not have a direct relationship with air transportation should not be considered.

The Saint John Airport - which PlanSJ has deemed to be outside the city's primary development area - generates more than $7.5 million per year in taxes to federal, provincial and municipal governments.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:49 AM

From the Gleaner's Opinion section, one of the writers had an opinion on the airports, repeating something many of us have been saying for a long time (I'd almost swear he posts here. ):

What are we lacking in Fredericton?
Quote:
Airlines juggle airline size, frequency of flights and the cost of a ticket to make it worth their while. The result is high prices and fewer flights.

Ditto for Moncton and Saint John. Being the smallest of the three, it is probably least practical to fly to Fredericton (from an airline's perspective). If we weren't the seat of government, I wonder if we would have any flights at all.

My answer is this: "One airport to rule them all."

If there were one southern New Brunswick airport roughly equidistant from all three cities, flying here would suddenly make economic sense, since the population base they are serving is not just Fredericton or Moncton or Saint John - it is all three, an aggregated population.
Bill Wren is a writer, editor and social media guy at the Writelife.net blog. He abandoned Alberta for Fredericton just because he could.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 12:27 PM

The Saint John airport has zero debt and is profitable on annual basis. The airport is is no jeopardy. It is however the only airport that does not receive government funding and that is what this article is really about, trying to persuade government to support it.

We all know that a common airport in Sussex is the only way that air travel in NB can work. Until we do establish a reasonable sized airport in a central location NBers will continue to spend their dollars in Maine and Nova Scotia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces